Fly Fishing For the Wealthy Only?

Squaretail,
"I had more money in the line than the rod and reel."

I can say this for two of my four setups!!! Buy what you want, but I'll still have a good time with my cheapo setup. As far as elitism goes, it happens in everything we humans do. We all put are pants on one leg at a time..

jh

This has been a really interesting topic, thanks for starting it!
However, I always enjoy it when this subject comes up, because it always seems to go back to the "rich and famous", who own the gear and us "Po' Folk" who use Medalist...... So, the "Rich" give the sport a bad name and "The Medalist" gives it its true meaning!??
It reminds me of a trip Bishop and I made a few years ago,when we were in Montana. We'd fished long and hard, the sun was at high-noon and the fishing had gone slack. As we walked the stream, we'd stepped over several UNPOSTED barbed wire fences. As we rounded a bend, there was a lady walking along the stream, hands full of wild flowers.
We approached her, got talking, and to make a long story, longer..... ended up having "egg salad sandwiches and lemon aide" with Jane Fonda, that afternoon, in the Turner home. The way Bishop and I "LOOK" when we go fishing, I'd have had us arrested, just on appearances alone. But, Ms.Fonda was kinder than that, thankfully.
We did not get into any "political discussions", or talk about the way Ted's closed off so damn much water to local and visiting, fishermen. I,still, to this day, hate the guy for it.
Like someone, else, posted............... "I'm too poor to pay attention", but I also still manage to travel to decent water quite often and the gear I own is all, pretty much, "good". Whatever that means?!
I've owned the top of the line Sage rods, until I realized "they felt super great to me, in hand".................... ONLY because I WANTED THEM to "feel super great in my hand, because I'd paid so much for them!! They never threw line any better than my other rods, costing half as much.
Flyfishing becomes "an ego thing" way too easily, unfortunately, for so many. Besides Bishop, my everyday, regular fishing "partners" are men like Henry Hoffman.- (my next door neighbor),Dave Hughes and if I'm in Idaho..... Al and Gretchen B. SO?? Exactly......... THEY may have excellent, high end gear, I DON'T own half of what these people do, but we still have a great time and if it's a "good day" I'll equal their fish counts, no problem.
Flyfishing, to ME anyway.... Is only what YOU make it and what, exactly, YOU "want it to be". I've found that these "walking Orvis and Sage shops", that climb out of the Escalades, are usually the types that want "instant gratification" just like in their high-end business lives and if the fish don't see it their, way, they so easily give up our sport as "A waste of time and money" and go back to handball and golf soon enough.
If fly fishermen never got together to talk, never met at the fly shop's counter, to shoot the breeze, we'd ALL be fly fishing with fiberglass, #1494s and have a hell of a lot more money in the bank, believe me...........

"We approached her, got talking, and to make a long story, longer..... ended up having "egg salad sandwiches and lemon aide" with Jane Fonda, that afternoon, in the Turner home. The way Bishop and I "LOOK" when we go fishing, I'd have had us arrested, just on appearances alone. But, Ms.Fonda was kinder than that, thankfully.
We did not get into any "political discussions", or talk about the way Ted's closed off so damn much water to local and visiting, fishermen. I,still, to this day, hate the guy for it.
Like someone, else, posted............... "I'm too poor to pay attention", but I also still manage to travel to decent water quite often and the gear I own is all, pretty much, "good". Whatever that means?!"

The real question here is why Spanish creek with the West Gallatin to the East and Madison to the West?

Post#23, makes no sense to me, but then, I'm not too bright evidently.
As for "Where we fished, Instead of".......... if you've ever tried to fish the two more, famous rivers in September, neither of us enjoy "carrying our own cup of water along, just in order to get our flies wet". Let alone, "a heavy rock, so we'd have a place to stand"!
We also really enjoy fishing the smaller, less populated, (by people- not fish), creeks in Montana, with short, light, rods and tiny flies. It is far less crowded, obviously, and thus, far less pressure.
In September, through the first of October, "The Big Boy Rivers" we usually have found jammed bank to bank, with "Walking Orvis Shops".
That, and trying to wedge my old '71 Ford P.U. in between 23 matching, black 2000-whatever, Escalades, just takes the fun out of any day on the water, for me!

Fish The Missouri-
Just kidding about the West Gallatin and Madison-They are both rookie rivers-easy to fish,wade and nice head of reasonable sized fish.Thats why they are so popular.
Serious locals knew places on Yellowstone and Missouri where you seldom saw others but better fish.About 20th of September time to get serious.However it was the time when no sun on water or really cloudy days until mid November then middle of day best until March.

pete41 wrote:
Fish The Missouri-
Just kidding about the West Gallatin and Madison-They are both rookie rivers-easy to fish,wade and nice head of reasonable sized fish.Thats why they are so popular.

Now why would anyone thing flyfishermen are snooty? Too good to fish a particular stretch of river...now that's a new one to me.

Nothing snooty about it-lol
the choice was yours
one pounders on the West Gallatin and wait in line to fish through a hole
Two pounders on the Madison and see others lined up at the better stretches.
Four pounders on the Yellowstone and have the Mission Ranch stretch all to yourself until 9:30 when the floaters came through and big fish holed out until dusk anyway.
Five pounders on the Big Mo and same as Jellystone as far as having three hours of prime water and time to yourself.
Of course if you didn't know how to read big waters you could always fish dinkies for dinkies and say thats what you really loved best, or the Madison and West Gallatin which were like the ones back home,just bigger.
What would you do?
Could you cut the Mustard or waste all day fishing Whitefish flats because you saw all those fish rising-[okay I was a rookie and paid my dues].

just kidink of course-i hated crowds and loved big fish but after watching Barrets fishing shows I realize the real thrill was in giggling like an idiot because you and the other one had a DOUBLE or rushing out to the middle of the stream to net the other guys 12incher.

Rich & poor; the best things to be had in our sport can't be bought...

Spyder, I fish out of a nice boat, Action Craft 1820, I have a 550.00 push pole, given to me by my wifes uncle, I have mostly Orvis tackle and mid prices and high priced gear for myself and my clients. I also have expensive taste and have been known to save for quite sometime to buy 400 - 500 dollar rods. I like all that stuff Hoss, My question to you is who's "bitching?" I think its pretty constructive to encourage new anglers to our sport who think that it costs too much to begin. That was the point I was making before you responded like you did. My advise to you is read and understand someones point before immediately trying to be controversial. TV shows etc give that impression and we can set the record straight for newbies because we all started with the "wal mart rod".

Spyder,
P.S Just for S***s and giggles common down here and you and I will rent a john boat with a 15 hp motor and go into the harbor and may be even the gulf. After all thats all we need. Just dont forget your life jacket buddy.

Ahhhhh...white fish in February on flies...you hit a soft spot. Get the smoker ready... ;-) ;-)

"Capt Matt... do you fish out of a nice boat or an aluminum john boat... certainly you don't need the boat you have but you bought it because you like it. An aluminum john boat with a 15 horse motor will do the trick. "

Doesn't Matt guide on saltwater? I can't see clients paying hundreds of dollars for a ride in an "aluminum john boat with a 15 horse motor" on the high seas. Lots of people own more boat than they need, and Matt may be one of them. However, I'm sure a nice boat gets him repeat business and higher fees.

One day my friend/ neighbor was sitting on the porch with my wife discussing our neighborhood’s changing demographic. She was bemoaning the fact that yuppies were taking over the neighborhood, buying houses driving SUVs, renovating houses………… My wife got all uppity and said I know its driving me crazy. Our friend just laughed and laughed. We had just moved into the neighborhood, we drive an SUV and we are almost done renovating our home. She was describing herself and us.

The question posed was it for the wealthy and is it expensive. Don’t kid yourselves like we did. You must have some disposable income to participate in the sport. I will make a leap and say the majority here are very well off compared to many many others in this state. I live in an extremely diverse area. We have welfare recipients and doctors/ lawyers all living on the same street. I see on a daily basis the disparity between people incomes and the activities they are able to participate in. Consider that the average cost of car ownership is around 600.00 a month; gas, insurance, maintenance ……….. that is 7200 a year on a car. Consider that the state minimum wage is 6.25 p/hr. That is only 250.00 a week. Now just tally the entire car/ equipment and travel cost for a year and you are talking a small fortune even for us cheap skates. Now consider the people that you see everyday that are struggling to make ends meet. Ask them if this is a sport for “rich people” . I’d bet they say yes.

My point is that all leisure activity requires disposable income. Rich is all relative ……………………….

PS… I am broke as a joke.

I've been a fly-fishing pauper for more than 30 years. Here are some of my frugalities:

I use 25 year-old Pflueger reels.

Buying only the basics on an as-need basis -- flies (since I don't have time to tie) and tippet material are my most expensive (ie frequent) puchases.

Double taper lines so I can reverse them and get around
4 or 5 years.

Eagle Claw ($10) fanny pack instead of a vest.

Generic-brand breathables -- paid less than $100 for them 5 years ago, now with more patches than a scarecrow's shirt.

My only expensive item is my rod... always Sage.

I drive a Subaru with 130,000 miles on it. (It's paid for.) And it often doubles as a tent.

All of that being said, if I had the money I'd buy the more expensive equipment, stay at nicer places and go to distant lands to fish. I don't, so I don't. (My daughters tutus are very expensive.)

You do what you have to do to go fishing. IMO, the money is incidental, but the passion is everything.

Back