Fly Fishing Elitism (from an outsiders perspective)

I moved to Galeton in Potter County in '95 & was told by Coudersport residents that Galeton was the "arm pit of Potter County". I told my daughter she was a ridge runner(she was born in Potter County) but your mom & dad will always be flatlanders. Personally I don't give a **** what you call me...... but don't be crying about being called "bubba".
You’re not the one who gets to decide that. I don’t care to see my friends, my family and myself stereotyped as uneducated hillbillies.

I’ve shown you multiple instances of fly fishermen on this forum using derogatory language towards rural residents, bait fisherman and others. You asked to see proof, I showed you. You refused to read the examples I provided. You then claimed that it’s not a big deal you don’t get to be upset about that.

Here’s member Farmerdave referring to the “Traditional Anglers of PA” as Tarded Anglers of PA, who chase the trucks and use only bait”
https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/the-elitist-fly-fisherman-reality-or-myth.28873/page-2
That was what? 11 years ago? There was quite a bit of joking around in that that thread.

It is true that I don't have a lot of respect for a group (TAP) who thinks stocking the crap out of everything is somehow good or traditional. THAT is what that comment was about. It had nothing to do with their preferred fishing method. I even provided a link to TAP but apparently it is no longer active.

I have consistently defended bait and spin anglers since before CZ Nymphing was even a thing in this country. I even did that several times in that thread.

You are really grasping by using that.

That was what? 11 years ago? There was quite a bit of joking around in that that thread.

It is true that I don't have a lot of respect for a group (TAP) who thinks stocking the crap out of everything is somehow good or traditional. THAT is what that comment was about. It had nothing to do with their preferred fishing method. I even provided a link to TAP but apparently it is no longer active.

I have consistently defended bait and spin anglers since before CZ Nymphing was even a thing in this country. I even did that several times in that thread.

You are really grasping by using that.
Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Hey, Dave, remember some of the stuff I wrote about and then got blasted over? I'll bet not; only the blasters might remember. Anyhow, I really can't believe you're getting hammered over something from 11 years ago. I certainly wouldn't take it to heart. All the old guys on here (me, etc.) and most of the more recent participants, too, know you are one of the good guys on this site. IMO, you rank up on the highest level thoughtful and level-headed, much like troutbert. Anyhow, don't let something like this get under your skin.

(Here's an old one about me from you I recall. I was arguing, pretty belligerently, about my pet peeve, and finally you told me something like this: "Go to bed, rrt." Pretty good advice, and kind of humorous now, isn't it?)

Hey, Dave, remember some of the stuff I wrote about and then got blasted over? I'll bet not; only the blasters might remember. Anyhow, I really can't believe you're getting hammered over something from 11 years ago. I certainly wouldn't take it to heart. All the old guys on here (me, etc.) and most of the more recent participants, too, know you are one of the good guys on this site. IMO, you rank up on the highest level thoughtful and level-headed, much like troutbert. Anyhow, don't let something like this get under your skin.

(Here's an old one about me from you I recall. I was arguing, pretty belligerently, about my pet peeve, and finally you told me something like this: "Go to bed, rrt." Pretty good advice, and kind of humorous now, isn't it?)
Thanks for the kind words. He's not under my skin. I just thought it was strange that he included one of my posts in that. He just doesn't know me.

I do remember that being said, and don't mind taking credit for it, but I am not sure it was me. I think it was Jeff F?

Last edited:
Nah, I'm 99.9% sure it was you. I'm not sure, but I think Jeff F. was one of my antagonists.

Anyhow, your advice was good. (I've tried to behave better since then -- most of the time.)

And, don't just think of what I said as being just kind words. Over the years, you have been one of the most thoughtful and positive people on here. You have earned the respect of the members of this site -- and I imagine you've earned the respect of everyone who knows you.

If I came to the conversation with the stereotype that rural folks are stoical, tight-lipped, and gritty, this thread has certainly disavowed me of that stereotype by showing me they can be whiney, condescending, and prone to parading their sense of victimization. Congrats!

Back