Fly fishing BIG nymphs.

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Anybody fish bigger nymphs in the summer? If not what is the biggest size you have?

I fish larger nymphs all year long, now I fish the little ones as well. Say 18-20 But more times than not I drift some good size ones. It really depends on the person, some people feel a size 14 is to big. Some wouldn't even consider anything bigger than a size 10 and rarely at that. For the most part for me 8,10,12,14's with smaller ones along for the ride, depends on water depth and speed of current. Even have some #6's much as most people don't want to hear it they take fish regularly as well.

No. I generally go smaller in the summer due to a number of factors. However, current conditions play a big role in fly selection. Dirty water, for instance, usually allows for the use of bigger flies regardless of time of year. If any time of the year calls for bigger flies, it is usually spring since that is when the larger bugs are most abundant and active and the fish are feeding freely.

Also what do you consider big? For me a #12 is pretty big for most PA streams. For others a #8 may be big. In the western U.S. a #4 is big. There are places where a #14 would be unusually large also.

With that said I carry a lot of different sizes and some my flies are quite big. The bottom line is that if I have a reason to think a particular fly will work, I try it.

Kev

I'm fishing about the same as lv2nymph. Big one and a smaller one mostly in the 10-18 for the two.

I fish normally a 10-14 for the top on nymph rigs, those most of the time being stoneflies. On the bottom is always a pt, caddis or zebra midge in 16-22.

depends on the stream but yes. I have some in the size 4 range. My home stream has big caddis larva and cranefly larva though. The cranefly larva can be BIG.

Don't fish them during the summer but I have several #2 & #4 -2xl stones that I use on occasion. Summer is more like #16-20

I use a lot of big nymphs for bass fishing in the summer (In spring and fall I tend to stick to streamers).

For trout, I use a lot of #14s year 'round but tend to go a bit smaller in summer. Like other folks, I'll tie on a big stonefly from time to time in summer if the water is pushing.

i predominantly use 14-18 year round.

i do have #6 black and golden stones but i just don't fish them with confidence.

i should fish them more in winter but i never do, i end up fishing the same #18 hares ears, PTN's, midges and eggs.

big nymphs 6/8 should work on many rivers, stripped slowly along the bottom to represent hex, damsel and dragonfly nymphs in slower water.

its a technique used a lot in Europe, on streams and ponds ( i have a box full of big PTN's and hare ears) but i've just never had the confidence or patience to do it - a real slow hand twist works best.

they are the kind of flies that i always keep one or two of in each box but i never look at unless i'm having a skunk day...

lol.

Green weenies up to size 10. Big stoneflies up to size 6 or 8 as an anchor fly year-round. I love to fish big sparrow nymphs (size 6 or even 4), but I rarely use those in the summer. It's a go-to winter pattern.

largest I fish is a black or brown stone in a size 2 3x long. same size as the knobbed stonefly. early morning and evenings when they are active.

I typically don't go bigger than a size 12. I fish a lot of walts worms and green weenies in sizes 12 and 14 that produce well.
But I agree with GeeBee, I'm usually fishing size 14-18 most of the year.

Back