Fly fishing A.I. MD with problems

hunter1

hunter1

I fly fished A.I. this summer a couple of times. Did fairley well casting on the back bays, but horrible from the beach. I wasn't getting any distance, maybe 15' to 20' if that. I'm using a Orvis Silver label 9'5" 9wt rod with a 9wt forward and also an intermediat sinking line. I have read that this rod should be overlined with a 10wtF. I just want opinions before I start buying gear. I have only used the rod 3 or 4 times since buying it in the late 90's. What is a good 10 wt line for stripers, and a good 10wt intermeadiate line for bottom fish and flounder. I did catch a small flounder on a back bay area with the sinking line. I have fly fished for trout and other fresh water fish for over 35 years, but saltwater fly fishing is a new ball game . Thanks

Last edited:
I fly fished A.I. this summer a couple of times. Did fairley well casting on the back bays, but horrible from the beach. I wasn't getting any distance, maybe 15' to 20' if that. I'm using a Orvis Silver label 9'5" 9wt rod with a 9wt forward and also an intermediat sinking line. I have read that this rod should be overlined with a 10wtF. I just want opinions before I start buying gear. I have only used the rod 3 or 4 times since buying it in the late 90's. What is a good 10 wt line for stripers, and a good 10wt intermeadiate line for bottom fish and flounder. I did catch a small flounder on a back bay area with the sinking line. I have fly fished for trout and other fresh water fish for over 35 years, but saltwater fly fishing is a new ball game . Thanks
Surf rods in the gear world tend to be a bit longer. I wonder what people here who saltwater fly fish regularly( i used to before i moved) would think of a 10 wt 11-13 foot speyrod? would ya get more distance and save your rotator cuff muscle since your using two hands to cast?

I know, I like surf rods in the 10' to 11' range, but then again your csating a lot of lead and bait.

I know, I like surf rods in the 10' to 11' range, but then again your csating a lot of lead and bait.
Someone asked something like this on the or is podcast not long ago I think

Before fooling with equipment options you should get a few casting lessons. If you’re going to fish the saltwater you need to know how to deal with the wind .Automatically overlining a rod without purpose won’t help much.

Hi - I’m brand new here, but noticed your question and can help I think. I wade the southern portion of the Bay (where that is possible) using a 10 foot 9 weight as rigid as I can find. Currently a Douglas that a friend recommended. What I’ve learned about casting is interesting - and Lefty’s videos were important. On the small streams where I’m from in PA I often use only my forearm and wrist (wrist maybe too much). Down here I’m using my full arm and not using my wrist at all (again Lefty’s advice). You will likely find that loading the rod is very different than you are used to trout fishing, but once it happens you know it and the line shoots like a bullet. Quick add - again as Lefty notes - I am also left foot forward twisting at the waist… sorry forgot that …

Last edited:
Thank you all, All good advice. I'll practice casting the rod and reel I have.

Thank you all, All good advice. I'll practice casting the rod and reel I have.
Dear hunter,

Were you using a stripping basket? Line management in surf and tidal currents makes a difference. A stripping basket eliminates the need for the line to break free of the current and surf on the forward cast.

In slack water wading like in the bay you may get by without a stripping basket, but in the surf, it is vital.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yes, I did use a stripping basket. Used it in the bay also.

I'm going to get new fly line for the rod. I'll get an intermediate line first. What would you all recomend. I like Rio products, but if there is something better I'll go with it. My rod I'm using is a Orvice silver label 9'5" 9wt with a 7.0 med flex. Then I'll upgrade the floating line from the Rio Tropical I have now. Thank you all.

I would think if your in the wind a faster action rod might help too. Your double hauling into that win and surf already i assume?

I'm going to get new fly line for the rod. I'll get an intermediate line first. What would you all recomend. I like Rio products, but if there is something better I'll go with it. My rod I'm using is a Orvice silver label 9'5" 9wt with a 7.0 med flex. Then I'll upgrade the floating line from the Rio Tropical I have now. Thank you all.
It is way too cold for a tropical line right now, that line will be hard as a rock. Rio outbound short is a great beach line for stripers in our area.

It is way too cold for a tropical line right now, that line will be hard as a rock. Rio outbound short is a great beach line for stripers in our area.
I know, I only use the Tropical line in the summer months. I'm getting a cold water line next.

Back