Fly Dressing

padave

padave

How much is enough on the dry flys.

The larger the fly, the more dressing you need to float it. And that can be a little tricky.
The best - and easiest - way to treat them IMO, is to use a liquid floatant in a bottle, and just dunk the whole fly in it. After a few false casts, it's ready to to go

With paste, less is more. I get a tiny bit on my fingers, swirl it around a bit to liquidfy it then rub it in.

It probably helps I like flies with hair wings, and parachute posts. They take the brunt, as do the tails. The oily residue left on my fingers gets sort of dapped onto the body some.

I have the gel and the powder. I guess with the combination of the two will be a sure bet. I just Didn't know how much of the Gel was needed, when I applied the gel on fly it kind of clumped the hackles up after it dried.

padave........i think you got it. paste a lil and the powder to revive them that's about IT.

If it clumps up the hackles, you've got too much.

The cold isn't helping you, either. The warmer it is, the oilier it is and the easier it is to work with. Put that dab in between two fingers and swirl them around, or use your palm like a pestel and swirl.

Too much floatant just sinks the fly.

padave wrote:
I have the gel and the powder. I guess with the combination of the two will be a sure bet. I just Didn't know how much of the Gel was needed, when I applied the gel on fly it kind of clumped the hackles up after it dried.

To clarify, don't combine the two.

What will happen if I combine the two. And what one is better liquid or the shaky powder in your opinions. Be ause I bought both types and I thought you have to combine the two.

Better off using the gel to treat a fresh fly before fishing with it.
After you catch a fish, and the fly is saturated, that's when it's good to dunk it in the shake powder to get it dry again

Listen to dryflyguy, he does the same thing I do. It works well. Gel first then after you catch a trout or the fly begins to sink put the entire fly in the powder and shake. False cast a couple of times and you are ready to go. Good Luck.

I use frog's fanny (or the H-A knockoff, as it were) as my powder desiccant, and the bottle explicitly says not to use it as a shake bottle, but to use the brush. I have shake bottles as well, but find that FF and the brush works better.

You use that fancy stuff. LOL. I use Cortland's Dri-ur-fly. Stick the fly in tippet and all and shake. I would like to try Loon's product that uses some kind of beads to dry the fly. I can't remember the name right off hand but I think that would be even better because when your done the fly has no residue on it. Any of you fellas ever try that stuff?

The loon product is called top ride, and it works pretty well without leaving residue. I haven't had to buy it for a long time now though.
A few years ago, I received a package at work that had a rather large packet of desicant balls in it that look just like it. And I've been using it with great results

gel or paste with hackled flies, powder with cdc.

padave wrote:
What will happen if I combine the two.

crossed.jpg

After catching a few fish, most dry flies will get saturated and not float well - not matter how you treat them before hand.
I still think it's best then to dry the fly good with the shaker crystals, before treating it with the gel - or liquid floatant - again. Just my preference.

But when you're first starting out with a fresh dry fly, I don't see any advantage to treating it with the crystals, then floating gel then

I use a variety of methods.

1. On all dries I tie (and even if I bought and remember), I treat them with Watershed at home. This stuff works!!!!

2. Most hackled flies I use Gink, just a little, then blow on it. If it gets really soaked and the gink stops working, I either hit it with Frogs Fanny or just put that fly away and tie on a new one!

3. CDC flies, Gink doesn't work. Frog's Fanny only.

dryflyguy wrote:
But when you're first starting out with a fresh dry fly, I don't see any advantage to treating it with the crystals, then floating gel
then

Agreed. I only hit 'em with the paste when blowing them dry cupped in my hand fails.

FWIW, Tiemco Dry Magic works on hackle, CDC, anything and does not cause a oil slick on the surface like gel and does not create a powdery mess with tons of lost material like powdered desiccants. It is truly magical.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
You use that fancy stuff. LOL. I use Cortland's Dri-ur-fly. Stick the fly in tippet and all and shake. I would like to try Loon's product that uses some kind of beads to dry the fly. I can't remember the name right off hand but I think that would be even better because when your done the fly has no residue on it. Any of you fellas ever try that stuff?

Take those silicon packs you get with a new pair of shoes, purse etc and empty them into a film canister. Same effect less $$$$. GIve it a shot works for me.

Back