Fly Casting Competition - Carlisle, 6 Sep 2014

Off of Facebook page for: Umpqua Feather Merchants

POND HOG HERO IN DA HOUSE!
More from IFTD 2105 ... Our own Josh Graffam strolled up to the casting pool and destroyed the competition in the manufacturer's division of the casting competition. Josh chucked his pice of "yahn" 87'6" on a THREE WEIGHT with just one cast! Dang Dude! Congrats!

Andy better be practicing...

Just wanted to add, for those that are coming into town and possibly staying overnight, CVTU will be hosting the traditional "Last Supper" at the CVTU pavilion on Vince's Meadow out along the Letort following the contest/sports show on Saturday evening from 5-8pm. Let us know if you're interested and we'll make sure there's enough eats for those that are gonna hang out for more than just the comp. Cost of the supper is minimal, just enough to cover the burgers, dogs and sides, but we would like to have a decently accurate head count.

Thanks.

I'll be there Tomi

Cool, see ya there!

Cost for the Last Supper is just $5.

Wish I would of seen this sooner . Maybe next year than. Anybody want to be one of my sponsors for next year I'll put your logo or slogan on the back of my shirt while I participate :-D

Talked to our Contest Director tonight, and if anybody still wants to enter the contest, shoot me a PM by the wknd (say Sunday 8/30) and I can get you in...

Great job to everyone today. Congratulations Derek for the win!

Conditions were tough. The wind was my downfall. I let it get to me and blew it on the accuracy portion. Once I did that my head just wasn't in it anymore. Competing is completely new to me and I just wasn't equipped with the experience to fully understand how to properly process the forum we were in. I have no shame in saying the unfamiliarity was little overwhelming. Nonetheless, it was a good time and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everybody.

Things I took away from the experience:

- There are some really fine fly casters in PA.
- Everybody is so friendly, encouraging, and supportive.
- Don't let one bad day define your abilities. (Thanks Derek for these kind words)
- I need to practice more often in less than favorable conditions.
- And lastly...don't ignore your girlfriend's texts. Even if you are in the middle of a competition.

Paflyfish strikes again!

A sweep of the top 3 spots in the Expert division.

Congratulations Tim Robinsin, Old Lefty, and Stenonema!!!

Actually, you can make that top 4 overall, I got on a good streak in the accuracy and finally put together a nice round at one of these things...wasn't sure how I'd do, my back was cranky for most of the week which limited any kind of casting in the evenings to a short session on Tuesday and then trying to figure out which rod to use Friday night, bamboo or plastic? And gotta say I'm awfully impressed with my girlfriend's Echo Solo, hell of a rod for $129....and yeah Chris, that wind could definitely get in your head, ugh.

Always nice to put faces to names and catch up with some familiar ones. Word on the street is that we'll be moving the comp to hopefully coincide with the Heritage Days at Allenberry in early June next year, get it into a more flyfishing centric venue/event. And possibly expect a change/tweak in the accuracy task, wheels are turning. ;-)

Good times everybody and thanks to all who came out, good times for sure!

Here's a snapshot of the final scoreboard:

10687200_10203920889096328_1849736728424859945_n-1-L.jpg

Great time yesterday. It was nice to see you all again. Perhaps some PAFF members can post game it next year.

Dave (Old Lefty) - thank you for your help and congratulations. your help and encouragement at the milesburg meet made the difference. Did you see one of the scoring distance shots was 90' ? That's all you. Thank you!

Chris - (artifishal) you stepped up to the plate. Not a lot of people are willing to put themselves out there like that. Your casting improved emensely since milesburg. The scoreboard does not tell the full story of a competitor and his journey. Keep up the good work, your a hell of a fly fisher.

Eric (stenonema)- it was a pleasure meeting you. You tore it up on the accuracy. That was an impressive curve cast for the obstacle target. Great casting.

Tom (tomitrout) - congratulations. It was nice to meet you and the other guys from CVTU at the last supper.

Ed (heritage angler) - thanks for your encouragement. We need to fish soon!

Dave kile - I want to make a point to thank you for supporting this event. Justin Pittman also made it a point to thank PaFlyFish for support.

I know CVTU is looking to improve this event. It is always a great time and a great way to hone your skills and learn more. Reading about technique and watching YouTube videos is one thing but practice with experienced folks and trained instructors is what will get you to the next level. I know because I tried it on my own. I would not be able to have the consistent success in casting and fishing Without the help of Joan Wulff, the Wulff school instructors: Sheila Hassan and Dennis Charney, Dave OldLefty Rothrock, and IFFF instructor Tom Cooper.

So long story short, get out here next year and cast with us. We want to help each other get better because that makes for better competition and more fun, plus who doesn't want to cast a little further!?

So Tim... Both you and Becker are now "competitive" fly fishermen now!!! :-D

Congratulations all. Sounds like a great time and a great day.

Ha!

No miller, I could never aspire to mr becker's level. Shane can fish circles around me.

This year meant a lot to me. I was first introduced to the sport 13 years ago by my best friend Peter Styer. Pete was a natural born angler and fly caster. I am not. We spent many years going to ole bull and tiadaghton together. One year we spent a week camping at Leonard Harrison. We lived to fish, when he worked for my dad's company we would get everything done by Thursday so we could leave early Friday to go fish all weekend.

I was never as good at fishing as Peter was. Sure there were days I caught more fish and sure I would go fishing more often and to more places than he ever got to. Peter was better at fishing than I will ever be because no matter what what, when Peter was fishing he was in the moment. It didn't matter where I went I was already thinking about getting a photo or catching this fish or that fish. He never worried about the biggest, or the most or getting the grip and grin. It was just him and the river. Enjoying his time with God's creation.

I remember after one trip to tiadaghton I was practicing casting in the Styer backyard. There were so many fish that trip that I just simply could not reach. my presentation was offensive to every trout that that had the mis-fortune of swimming below my cannonball cast. His father Jerry saw the futile flailing in his backyard and was the first one to get me to "slow down" and let the rod do the work.

I have many fond memories from this journey of fly fishing. One thing I have learned is that you never know who you will affect in life. Pete taught me that. I have done my best to carry that with me everyday. One of the reasons I became a guide and casting instructor is so that I can, in good conscious, pay it forward through the various clinics and classes I help with.

I am lucky/blessed/whatever you want to call it, to have had as great a friend as Peter Styer. I know he would be busting my chops right about now so i will stop and only say this: enjoy the time you have, whether it is on the stream or elsewhere, it is all we have.

Cheers!

A fitting tribute to my brother, TR. He would tell you to enjoy the time you have, but he would tell you that we have SO much more than just "time". After all, what is time in the grand scheme of eternity?

I suppose it is my turn.

It was a grand day of renewing acquaintances and friendships and engaging in an activity we who participated value and enjoy.

The conditions last year were bad. This year they were worse. The only consolation was that the wind was blowing strong into the left side of our backs and not constantly changing direction.

For the sake of comparison the highest score in the accuracy segment last year was Derek and another caster tied at 2400 points.

I was the next to last competitor and I felt I knew who was my closest competition. Having observed a good part of Eric's (Stenonema) performance on the accuracy course I figured he scored very well. I was really tempted to ask him how he scored and then I settled into the mindset that no other competitor's score matters: what matters is how well I score.

When I was casting for accuracy score I really didn't feel I scored well; however, I couldn't see where my fly landed in the grass at the 50' and 60' targets. Derek, along with some of the judges and others, informed me I did well. It was after I completed the distance segment that I discovered Eric and I tied at 2600. At the time I considered this a very good score, especially considering the conditions.

When I stepped into the box to cast for distance I set my mind to strive for only one thing: keep at least 2 casts within the 10' wide lane. I knew this wouldn't be easy with such a strong wind. I chose to focus on keeping casts in bounds rather than going for maximum distance.

My first cast wwaaayy out of bounds to the right. It was a test cast. My second cast was also out of bounds to right, just not nearly as much as the first. Now I have to casts remaining. Pressure is on!

My strategy was to present my cast right along the left boundary line in hope that the wind would carry it further into the lane for a score. Fortunately, the strategy worked: two casts that scored. I must confess that I was a bit surprised that my casts reached as far as they did. I really didn't expect to reach 100' in those conditions. Perhaps I had a little divine help there (and in the accuracy segment, as well). Of course, I accept any legitimate help I can get...from any source.

Yes, I was in 1st place for a short time. No, it didn't last very long. Yes, I was first in distance and Derek was first in accuracy. And, yes, Derek was first in total score. A score of 3200 in the accuracy segment is, to me, an incredible score which means that Derek performed far beyond what I would have expected from any of the competitors.

Having had the privilege to work with Derek and help him rise up to the level he's at today means that, for me, I shared in his win. The saying goes that the sign of a good teacher is when the student can outperform the teacher. Derek did that. Too, if you consider this year's scores, it indicates some serious work on the part of the competitors. That only raises the value of Derek's achievement.

There's far more to the day's story than what I've included here. Maybe someday I'll be able to elaborate, just not now.

I'd like to say an incredibly big THANK YOU to all who had a part in pulling this off. That includes not only T.U. and FFF, but also Bass Pro Shops for their significant contribution.

We'd really like to see more participation in this event. I've been to casting competitions where I've experienced a lot of noses in the air, if you get my drift; however, I have not experienced any of this at this event. It is a bunch of great people having a great time. I believe there are some of you who may have an interest in participating. To you I say "Just do it."

Congratulations Guys!!

So who took some photos? Would enjoy add this to the blog and book of faces. PM so we can coordinate please. Tim figuring you, Dave or Tom should have something?

Back