Fly Casting Competition - Carlisle, 6 Sep 2014

F

Fishidiot

Think you're a good caster? Why not take a shot at winning the Second Annual PA State Fly Casting Championship which will be held at the Carlisle Fairgrounds on Sat, 6 Sep. The competition will utilize a 5WT fly rod and will have various categories. This event is sponsored by Cumberland Valley TU.

To check out the rules and access the registration form, please hit the CVTU website at:
CVTU

Is there a "chuck 'n duck with style" category?

Dave,
what's the cost? Didn't see one posted. Since there's w divisions 'anglers' and 'pros', I might give it a shot / waste my time. I think I could do respectable in the am division.

Krayfish,

Check the CVTU site for more info (as Dave suggested in original post, you must dig for it):

http://cvtu.homestead.com

More Info, Registration and Rules are downloadable as text docs.

I believe it would cost you $25.

You would do well, Andy…
and you could become a "winner" just like Shane!

Andy is a great caster. I am sure he would have a real chance. Maybe we can do a casting workshop up in State College again with Dave R. Had a great time last year.

It's $25 and kids free. Krayfish would be a good candidate.

Its Official, Krayfish has been drafted. Better set up the hola-hoops in the back yard Andy.

I haven't actually practiced casting since I was 16-18 but I'll get out and work on it. I may not be able to dump the entire line at will but should be respectable in distance section. I think I'd score higher in the target portion. If chuck-n-duck was part of the comp, I'd be out immediately. Brian saw my streamer / sink tip casting technique. It involves a lot of "MF" and "this sucks". :)

For some reason, I have the feeling that I'll regret doing it whether I finish first or last. Maybe I'll get the youngest nephew involved. He's a rollcasting machine.

This time next year...Andy will be doing the Pro Tour, Magazines, TV Show, Videos and hang'n with Lefty & Brokaw in Belize. He will go all corporate and be sponsored by Simms / Orvis / Howler Brothers...and not have time for PAFF.

Occasionally, he will guide the D...so contact his people and book time now!

Nah, I'll just hang with real pros...like Becker. LOL

Always welcome to fish with me. Lol

Becker's only accurate if it's within the distance of his high sticked rod... :-D

I'd say so. Rule just say it has to be a 5wt rod not to exceed 9' in length. Do it! :-D

Lobby for a vintage gear division for next year.

It was a great time last year and well worth the time. I learned so much and met many truly knowledgeable folks. I recommend the challenge to anyone who enjoys casting and wants to learn more, all of the IFFF folks are genuinely interested in promoting the sport and good casting.

The outdoor show was fun and I will be bringing my family with this year because it's really a great show for kids. hopefully the course won't be set up next to the monster truck ride this year.

If anyone (OldLefty?) wants to get together to setup a course PM me I would be interested in getting together to practice, preferably with refreshments. Heck, if anyone wants to get together and setup the course just for shits and giggles I'm game, it's fun to goof around and play with the cast!

Since more than one has indicated a desire to get together to cast I'd be willing to work with anyone who wants. Of course, it will cost the group my standard fee of refreshments since I work so hard trying to get you folks to up your game a bit. It will be a lot cheaper than my standard charge for casting instruction. I'm not saying I'll be wearing a placard advertising "will trade casting advice for food and beverage", but...

I was out practicing today and I may have learned something regarding my distance casting. I'll be interested to see if what I believe I experienced will be repeatable.

Huh, and I haven't even made up my mind if I'll compete...

I think last years location was perfect. Ill be better prepared to stay "hydrated" this year. Since we know what the course is supposed to look like this time let me know what you want me to bring Dave. I also have a 200yd tape so we will accurately be able to measure your casts!

Regarding the course layout, we're doing pretty much the same thing as last year with just a couple minor tweaks, including the way the distance is scored/measured. It'll be a fun time for sure, with a field limit of (25), kids are free so sign up early!

Lefty, are you gonna be at Allenberry on Saturday?

Back