Fishpond Pack

PennsCreek

PennsCreek

I have a pretty sizable tax refund on the way and was looking at getting a new chest pack. I did some searching and found a fishpond shooting star chest pack for $135, it seems that most places have it at around $180. Looking for some insight on the quality and functionality of the pack and any other suggestions to consider. It doesnt come with the hydration bladder but they sell it for an additional $24 or so. I probably wouldnt get one due to the fact that I have one that is 50 some ounces, that I already use for biking, hunting etc.

Attachments

• 41N5WNEATRL._SS400_.jpg
    41N5WNEATRL._SS400_.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 17
i have the high country tech .....same chest pack just a smaller back pack

the versitlity is great i actually baought the chest pack first and then the backpack later

the chest pack is great..lots of division within the sections so its pretty easy to organize...the last zipper is an expansion zipper i fit three boxes easy in..
there's a flip down boc on the pack is well that they sell

replacable foam for and tons of places to attach stuff

there's plaenty of room in my backpack..lunch camera spools when i wear it i take too much....

as for the bladder i think any would fit i jammed a huge older on i had in mine it doesn't fit perfect but who cares

check out tco last time i was there i think they were on sale they also have a web sight

I don't have the shooting star model, just one down from that the double haul 2006 model, which look very similar except the shooting star having double the storage of the double haul. I have had my pack for almost 3 yrs and really like it alot! I am able to usually pack a solid lunch, full 100 ounce bladder and, keep all my other miscellaneous stuff like camera, leader wallet, 1 or 2 fly boxes and packable wading jacket in its expandable backpack. As for the chest portion, i am able to keep up to 3 fly boxes and all my gadgets hanging off it, along with the flys I may switch out on the lumber compartment. Pretty much all the gear I would need and more for a day of hiking and fishing.

I really have no complaints other than making a couple modifications. I never used the waist support strap and kept it buckled so it wasn't hanging everywhere, well that just irritated me cause it was sticking in to my lower back, so I cut it off. Also I modified the strap and buckle system on the chest pack to be lumber pack for my waist as opposed to it being around my neck.
I wish though now that FishPond would make a true waterproof pocket b/c they say their packs are waterproof/breathable, not the case, your stuff will get wet in the rain or a plunge.

So do I like the FishPond Backpacks...yes!!! other than feeling out your likes and dislikes, if you decide to get one, they are exceptionally durable, packable, and modifiable!

I got the exact same pack last year but made by Watermark. Albatross could tell you the exact model. I think it was called the drake.

In any event, I think I paid under 60 bucks for it at Cabela's.

Google it up. I don't think they make it anymore but you may be able to find deals better than this one: http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WM80DRVP&Store_Code=flyshop&Category_Code=016closeouts

I've been very pleased with it and I also got the $10 hydration pack from Wallyworld (thanks to Albatross again) and it works fine in this pack.

The Fishpond and Watermark are two completely different packs.

Watermark is a subsidiary/sister company of William Joseph. I bought the Watermark Drake pack from Cabelas last spring too

The Watermark's chest pack is not nearly as complex as the Fishpond. I ended up removing mine and attaching the chest pack from my William Joseph Gear Bag Chest.

See this link for additional details

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4327&forum=3&post_id=40472#forumpost40472

Get a seperate backpack for your camping gear and a lanyard for fishing. If you're talking about fishing small streams and camping along the way, thats the way I would go. Most of the smaller streams won't require much tackle. A small box of your favorite flys, clippers and tippet is all you'll need.

I did a lot of research on this subject before I bought anything, and I remember the shooting Star among others. It's an important balance that must be achevied.

How long of a trip?

Where and what time of year?

And how light can you go...

I like doing a one nighter, fishing out the second day.

Here's what I did. I took my Gander Mountain Gift card from Christmas and bought a Columbia PFG short sleeve button up. It has two deep chest pockets and two smaller chest pockets that all velcro. It's vented under the arms and across the back. It is lightweight and comfortable. It also has loops for gear and stuff. Then I bought some cheap small boxes for flies. I realized last year that I'm tired of wearing a heavy vest in the woods at least the warmer half of the year. I paid less than 30 bucks for the shirt, and when I park the car I can decide what I'm going to take, consolidate my selection and put it in my shirt. As for a chest pack, I'm getting a Tamrac Velocity sling pack for my big camera so if I'm takin my big camera I'll use that. It wears like backpack, but only with one strap over the shoulder and when you need to get something out, you slide it around to the front and it conveniently opens from the top and with pockets in the front. B&H Photo has it. But then again I'm a camera guy, so my bag is a camera/fishing/diaper bag.

simms makes them that are waterproof, something to consider if you plan to do deep wading.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/xdpy/sg/PACKS

Do you really want that much of a backpack? I HAVE used a backpack and a vest without much trouble with the backpack being removeable (by taking it off). You're going to have to deal with all that back there all the time. Maybe no big deal: It's exactly what you want. If it bugs you, it might be better to get something else.

For my last vest, I bought the cheapest premium vest available for $90 and wouldn't change even now. Make sure for $130 it's exactly what you want, not a really good price on more than what you'll need.

Syl

I like my full back/chest pack when i want it, i like my lumbar/fanny pack when i want it and i like a small box of flies a single spool of tippet and my hemocuts when i want them.

For me it is all about having the right equipment for the right situation. I have the same tools/gadgets in the chest pack as i have in the fanny pack so the only thing i have to do is choose the fly boxes i want to carry on a particular trip.

Just found this thread thru the search. I'm looking for a backpack to hold a rod tube, waders and boot and a wading jacket.

The reason for the pack is i'm planing on biking into some streams so all the gear needs to fit into the pack.

anyone familiar with the simms dry creek?

DRY CREEK™ ROLLTOP BACKPACK
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_rolltop_backpack.html#

DRY CREEK™ DAY PACK
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_day_pack.html

The ROLLTOP BACKPACK is the bigger of the 2 and i think would hold all my gear. I also like the idea of the pack being waterproof so i can just put my wet gear back in it after fishing.

Simms also makes the Headwaters packs and ive seen a few that fishpond make. But i'm leaning toward a waterproof one.

Anyone else have a waterproof dry pack?

I have a this chest pack and backpack from basspro http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91536____SearchResults . It appears to be the same as the fishpond but only $100.00 for both. I been using the chest pack for a year with no problems, haven't used the backpack yet. Price is better when you have gifts :-D

There is a guy on Ebay that makes/sells imitation fishpond products. I believe the guy actually worked for fishpond at one point. Anyway, his stuff is really really really really close to being exact replicas on the real fishpond stuff. I have a vest and a chest/back pack combo like your buying from this guy. I think the vest was $40 and the combo was something like 25. I held the combo next to my buddies real fishpond and it was almost identical. If you're intrested in learning the ebay sellers name PM me and i'll give it to you. I'd post it now but i dont want all the bidding competition. :-D :-D

Penns Creek, my vest weighs more than either of my daughters, i know i don't need all that stuff but you have to understand, it seems the first time you need something different.........the mitch hedberg quote is so cool he was an awesome comedian it's a shame he couldn't stay off the #OOPS#

where did you find for 135?

are there any backbacks out there designed to carry waders and boots as well as other gear?

William Joseph Drifter Frame Pack
http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=TPA-WAJ-DRIF-000

anyone familiar with this pack. Might work to hold all my gear. plus i have the WJ Access chest pack..

froh: seems to me that its just a glorified day hiking pack --- if you dont mind the fact that your WJ access pack wont hook into it, i would recommend the LL Bean Bigelow pack -- I believe they are around 60 bucks now and they are GREAT day packs, the best in the business... they should definitely be able to handle your waders and other gear

similars can be had on ebay for 1/4 of the price, my buddy might even sell his. but its not fish pond - i do love fishpond and the price is worth the craftsmanship

ended up getting the Orvis Safe Passage Angler's Backpack

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=82X3&dir_id=758&group_id=122...

boots, waders and rod fit perfectly inside the main pack. reel and tackle fits in the 0ther 900 pockets. The U shaped zipper on the main pack is really helpful when placing everything inside.

I also like how the rod fits inside the back keeping it secure and a nice tight fit.

Should work well for me. I'm just using this for afternoon bike rides to some local streams.

thanks again everyone.
-Jonathan

Back