Fishing when the stream is high and muddy.

for high and muddy try a couple of black woolly worms about 6 to 10
fish them as nymphs -short leader, up stream and drag the bottom.
favorite way out west when the runoff is on during salmon fly season.while you don't have naturals that size it worked well on streams in the west with out salmon flies.Right along the banks in slower water is a good place to find bigger trout in those conditions.

pete41 wrote:
for high and muddy try a couple of black woolly worms about 6 to 10
fish them as nymphs -short leader, up stream and drag the bottom.
favorite way out west when the runoff is on during salmon fly season.while you don't have naturals that size it worked well on streams in the west with out salmon flies.Right along the banks in slower water is a good place to find bigger trout in those conditions.

Ha! Had some great days fishing high / off color water both east and west fishing exactly like that and with black/dark colored buggers!

One time on the Madison River (MT) during the runoff, I caught a bunch of bows in the margins of the River. Some of the fish were too big to handle and ran into the main current, they would take me into my backing and I'd have to clamp down and break them off or lose everything....great times!

Fishing wooley buggers/worms upstream and back to you , stripping in and lifting/hopping them over the rocks is deadly in the spring , they seem to like to grab it on the bounce.

Back