Fishing when the stream is high and muddy.

L

Librarian

Since I have to go fishing when I can get away, I went to Valley last Sunday even though it was raining and the stream was high and muddy.

The last time I went I used nymphs and caught two.

What should I be doing different when the water is high and muddy?

TIA

Librarian

Here are two SIMPLE things that help me fishing in those conditions.

-Stick to colors that stand out such as black or green or flies that have added flash. (had a great day with a flashback black hares ear in a muddied up creek)
-Pick apart small pieces of water when its high and dont go for a "hero drift" every cast. Make sure your fly gets down and is presented properly in the section you are targeting

There are plenty other things you can do but I dont want to overwhelm you. Plus im sure other members will put in there two cents as I am pretty new to the forum.

forgot to mention the pink/red san juan or any color glo bug......

If it's too high your SOL.

I think an effective methods is to pound the banks with buggers. Some of the fish are going to migrate to the bank where the water is moving slower and they will be opportunistic of fleeing baitfish.

Like philly said: black or bright colors. Black will give the outline even in muddy water and bright/flashy stuff will be bright and flashy.
Colors near the red side of the spectrum will just disappear.

Woolly buggers

definitely san juans, and try a multiple streamer rig in black or dark olive. a size 14 bugger followed by a size 12 or 10 bugger should work. If you fish two streamers, watch using streamers that are too heavy or you'll be chucking and ducking all day.

Librarian,
If you caught two trout in Valley Creek when the stream was muddy (if I understand your post correctly) - I'd say you did pretty good. Valley isn't an easy stream to catch fish. To some degree, as Mkern pointed out, it depends on how high the stream really is. When the creek is flooded and the stream is the color of creamed coffee it may not be worth fishing as wading is impossible in some places. If, on the other hand, the stream is up from rains maybe a foot or less and still fairly clear - you'd be able to see your feet standing in water a foot deep - fishing can be quite good. This is esp true if the rising water is cold during the summer or warmer during the winter. With some practice and time on the water you'll get a feel for when creeks are TOO high and muddy for fishing. I agree with the choice of flies suggested in the previous posts.

Librarian...........Welcome to PAFF , You will learn alot on here from these folks and there are many on here that fish Valley creek , I'm not one of them although i'd like to check it out sometime and the rest of the streams these folks talk about in that area. The one thing that stands out for me in what you wrote is you say "The last time i was there it was like this and i caught 2 on nymphs" then you ask what you should be doing different? Catching 2 trout , on flies , even on familiar water is nothing to scoff at in fact it's a pretty good day , you have confidence in the nymphs you used go back and do the same thing you did the last time and if you succeed again your confidence will build. Confidence is one of the big things in fly fishing that doesn't get talked about alot 'cause i guess it could be mistaken for bragging/boasting and most don't want to come off that way. If something works for you stick with it and build your confidence and you will get to the point where you will know that your flies and techniques will work , it's a process , sometimes slow , just use those nymphs that you used the last time and keep the thought in your mind that they worked before , they will work again , maybe just a little better , not always , but enough times that as you improve your catch you will gain confidence and you'll come to know that if I can get out to fish today , no matter what the conditions are , I can catch a couple. Let us know how you make out and I hope you nail a few.

Just a point of clarification. When I caught the two fish the stream was pretty clear. The previous few times I went trout fishing the water was also clear. This time it was like chocolate.

You guys gave me some good advice. I'll be sending an order to Bearsden to get the supplies needed to tie the flies listed in the thread.

Thanks,

Listen to Mkern and Chaz... they know what they are talking about... and like fishidiot said, there is a point where it can get too high/muddy to effectively fish. After you spend some time on the water, you'll figure out where that point is...

All great advice. I will reiterate, buggers, san juans, and work the banks. Also.....Near large rocks, logs.

You're looking for cover for the trout. If you're there for bass, these methods should produce for you, but bass seem to not care as much as the trout during high, murky water conditions.

Dubthethorax,
Just asking...why use size 14 buggers? might as well just throw double beaded nymph rigs. I've used larger streamers in tandem and the "duck" is worth it....if the water is up and discolored, I'll throw even bigger streamers or bigger nymphs. go big or go home!....i think thats the delaware's motto (i know ive read that before)

jeff

Agree with govtmule. Size 2-8 and duck away!

I'm not a small bugger guy either.

I don't go smaller than a size 8.

Although, some people swear by small buggers.

I fish a few 10s and 12s on 4xl hooks, but usually either as a large nymph, or as a trailer behind a proper bugger without emotional issues.

Just like others have said, without a doubt my favorite tactic in these conditions is to throw big streamers/buggers. If the current is still ripping a bit find current breaks right along the banks and work them over good. Some anglers are intimidate by them or don't hold the confidence in the flies long enough but don't be afraid to go big and meaty with the streamers either, like size 2s and 4s. You may not hook up with a ton of fish but more often than not the ones you do encounter will be very memorable. If its still muddy and really off-color I pretty much stick to blacks and olives.

Try smaller ones sometime 12's 14's tie them really full though. I think they take them for swimming nymphs. I use split shot for weight up close to the fly an inch or so back from the eye knot. I have good luck fishing these in early high dirty stuff. I use an upstream cast with time for it to get down to where you think the fish is , sometimes almost right in front of you. When i get to where i think the fish is i just sort of stop and lift a little , that's usually when the strike comes.

High muddy water is the best time to throw big green or black gold beadhead buggers. Make sure they have some flash tied in. Size 6-10. Bigger and shiny is the way to go.

Also this is when the spin guys nail them on rapala's and in-line spinners or rooster tails. Trout rely more on their lateral line senses to pick up vibrations in murky water. So metal blades and eratic swim baits tend to be most effective when the trout are having a harder time pinpointing their food in the low visibility.

I personally have used micro spinnerbaits before with a fly rod successfully in high water. It's just a little jig with a tiny grub on it and and a colorado blade that is smaller than a button affixed to a wire. This is great for redeyes.

Redeyes are they the same thing as rockbass to us yinzers? Rock bass are a blast to catch and they are the best shore lunch going. Rock bass fillets deep fried with hush puppies and beer..........n more beer.

For those who fish streamers in tandem, do you do it with feet between flies or inches? I've tried both and if I'm getting short strikes or strikes from small fish, I often tie a size 8 bugger as close as possible to add a smaller/trailing hook to the mix. I've also had success fishing a smaller (size 8) bugger a couple feet behind the first

Back