Fishing in the rain ????

trout sense the vibration of you walking .. in the rain they can't hear it , best time to fish is at night or in the rain !!!!

trout sense the vibration of you walking .. in the rain they can't hear it , best time to fish is at night or in the rain !!!!

LOL. They can't hear you at night? How do you feel about metal studs? I hear some folks think they are the devil.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll try it. Your gave me some good ideas.

Except for the one about Hemlock, I know what it did to Socrates. ;-)

Chaz is absolutely right.....it is the Eastern Hemlock and Librarian..........Socrates drank water hemlock a totally different plant , it grows here in swampy areas and gets a yellow flower on it in the spring/summer.

Fish Eagle Quote: and Librarian..........Socrates drank water hemlock a totally different plant , it grows here in swampy areas and gets a yellow flower on it in the spring/summer.

Opps. :lol: I must have confused Tsuga canadensis with Conium maculatum. Happens a lot when I speak [pun] ad Homonym.[/pun]

Well,,,,,,,you speak the same language as Socrates.

jdaddy they can't see you at night - einstein ! no where did i say that trout can't hear at night !!! when it is raining it mask the vibrations you make while wading or walking

It also diffuses/dilutes the light passing through the surface fo the water making it harder for the fish to see us. A friend of mine who knew Vince Marinaro well , called him "Pop" , said that the VERY BEST days on the LeTort were when a fine misty rain was falling , distorting the most times glassy surface.

Librarian,
By all means give it a shot in the rain. Many of our best days fish catching are rainy, cloudy, dreary days. To some degree, it will depend on the distance you have to drive and how tolerant you are of inclement weather. In general, however, I'd encourage new fly fishers to gear up with some appropriate clothing and fish the bad weather days. If nothing else, it will get you out fishing a lot more than if you limit yourself to fair weather days.

True, if you can stand the rain. Several of my best outings have been during inclement weather. Just dress for it and enjoy!

Fishidiot is absolutely 1000% correct. I dread blue bird high barometric pressure system days. Give me a drizzly, overcast day that most folks think are dreadful and I am happy. Osprey makes an excellent point of light diffusion by breaking the water surface.

troutslammer, I was ribbing you, though your post only mentioned feeling/hearing vibrations and was not a discussion of visibility. I actually got into night fishing this Summer when I saw how filthy the Tully was with crawdads at night. Fun stuff. I do wonder about vibration issue though. Did you happen to read any studies on the impact of rain on fishes ability to pick up vibrations? I would think it would take a pretty torrential downpour to impact a trouts lateral line sensitivity.

My fishing buddy , who is a Steelhead/Erie fanatic , says religiously that the worse the weather the better the fishing , he fished the bottom of the one trib that has the active marina on it , The one with the concrete walls that all the folks fish from , in 18' high breakers and caught 4 fish. It's TRUE!!!

Wind in the west, fishing is best
Wind in the east, fishing is least
Wind in the north, go not forth
Wind in the south blows the bait into the fish's mouth

I got out and caught two on a red thread midge that I made after listening to the midge show on "Ask about flyfishing" podcast.

I stayed on the bank to cast cause I was worried about the fish breeding that was discussed on another thread.

Thanks All

Tups wrote:
Wind in the west, fishing is best
Wind in the east, fishing is least
Wind in the north, go not forth
Wind in the south blows the bait into the fish's mouth

My grandfather won't even go fishing when there's an east wind. He's serious about the wind theory.

Back