Fishing in fall and winter (with as little impact on spawning as possible)

I'd like to remain cordial with you dudeman, let's not start poppin' off shots.

I read every post I respond to, in-fact for the most part, I read an entire thread before responding so I can figure out what's going on. I guess the point you are trying to make is conservation for different things, which is a viable argument. The point I am trying to make is that in the case of artificially introduced species the argument for their promotion stems only from an angling need due to the simple fact that they had not existed there previously so their loss would not have an impact on an eco system, in fact it may benefit it. I as an individual don't see the point in trying to preserve artificially introduced fish. That is my opinion. The want for conservation of native species stems from the idea of the species having the right to exist because they have existed and should continue to exist. Plus they play a role in an eco system so they are a net benefit.

I do think their is a schism even in conservation with conservation of indigenous species vs. conservation for an angling benefit.

As an angler I fish for everything, but again, I wouldn't be saddened if stocking stopped. I'd be happy.

I think the people rolling their eyes saying "not this sh*t again" are the ones high-jacking the thread. It was a specific question about disturbing the spawn (ie. interest in conserving the natural order). There can't be a discussion about conservation without addressing the native v. invasive issue. As redundant as it can seem, it's an important issue that you won't read about on fishandboat.com.

Now for OPs question; as long as you're aware of your impact and do your best to mitigate it (don't tramp through the gravel), then go out and have fun! That's really what it's all about
Now show me in your answer to the OP's question. where you used the words, invasive or brook trout.

It can be done and you did.

I'd like to remain cordial with you dudeman, let's not start poppin' off shots.

I read every post I respond to, in-fact for the most part, I read an entire thread before responding so I can figure out what's going on. I guess the point you are trying to make is conservation for different things, which is a viable argument. The point I am trying to make is that in the case of artificially introduced species the argument for their promotion stems only from an angling need due to the simple fact that they had not existed there previously so their loss would not have an impact on an eco system, in fact it may benefit it. I as an individual don't see the point in trying to preserve artificially introduced fish. That is my opinion. The want for conservation of native species stems from the idea of the species having the right to exist because they have existed and should continue to exist. Plus they play a role in an eco system so they are a net benefit.

I do think their is a schism even in conservation with conservation of indigenous species vs. conservation for an angling benefit.

As an angler I fish for everything, but again, I wouldn't be saddened if stocking stopped. I'd be happy.
There is nothing left but bone dust from this horse we keep trying to beat. On top of that we are both guilty of taking this thread off topic again. So I am going to offer you a handshake, wish you tight lines and mosey on down the road.

You mentioned me not being able to grasp reality. I am curious as to what you meant buy that.

What I'm curious about is how the conservation of a non-indigenous species that is harmful to other species around it outweighs the livelihood of indigenous species.

i value winter fishing. almost no others fishing. i like the cold. i like the snow. i have the river to myself. and i can nympth a run for hours without a flinch. my feet dont get cold.
I'm with Kyle. Thinking about it, the fishing is never close to as good as it is during the other three seasons. I think I do it mostly to enjoy the resource in the winter.

I love not seeing another set of (human) prints, things are always crisper and quieter. There's never a rush past the current spot to get to the next run or hole.

At some point we all say it's about getting out and the fish are extra. I actually mean that more often than not when there's snow on the ground 😁

I'm with Kyle. Thinking about it, the fishing is never close to as good as it is during the other three seasons. I think I do it mostly to enjoy the resource in the winter.

I love not seeing another set of (human) prints, things are always crisper and quieter. There's never a rush past the current spot to get to the next run or hole.

At some point we all say it's about getting out and the fish are extra. I actually mean that more often than not when there's snow on the ground 😁
i said what i had to say in this topic. with that said, if i see foot prints in snow then i move on elsewhere where there are no foot prints. its pretty easy when theres snow on ground. if i see foot prints then i know theres another die hard winter fisherman and i give them their space.

Title of this thread:​

Fishing in fall and winter (with as little impact on spawning as possible.​

I too enjoy the solitude of fishing in the winter. I also enjoy getting back to the car and turning up the heat!

Winter fishing is just more enjoyable for me. As I don't see many other fisher folk this time of year plus I get some of my my biggest trout this time of year.. I'm a die hard and it keeps me in shape

Winter fishing is just more enjoyable for me. As I don't see many other fisher folk this time of year plus I get some of my my biggest trout this time of year.. I'm a die hard and it keeps me in shape
While I don't do it often, I must say there is something about it. For example, as a kid, I would go out and fish a marginal stocked stream in the winter. While it hardly ever happened, It was awesome catching a trout that made it that far. I remember always looking at the steely gray color of the water and thinking there is nothing in there or that the water just looked different in the winter. On a wild stream, sometimes you just need a reminder that they are there. There is also that feeling that they have not been fished over in forever. Come to think about it, I may just get out today. My wife is going to be pissed. We were supposed to get our tree today!

There is something special fishing in a snowstorm the bigger the flakes the better. Usually have the stream to my self and the fish are usually cooperative. I bit of chill keeps you healthy. Dress properly and the chill is not a problem. God provided nature get out and enjoy the cathedral.

There is nothing left but bone dust from this horse we keep trying to beat. On top of that we are both guilty of taking this thread off topic again. So I am going to offer you a handshake, wish you tight lines and mosey on down the road.
Yeah would agree with this statement. This thread is a poster child for the problem we have on the site and people are weary of this. Me too! 1. Topic goes get's derailed 2. The brook trout / invasive species topic gets started 3. It's an argument 4 it goes on and on and on

The easiest way to fix it is for those involved to STOP IT! The mods and I have been talking about this for over a week. Other people have expressed their views about it and it needs to end. This seem like some sort of Trump Derangement Syndrome except it's about brook trout and invasive species.

Going forward STOP IT. We will be using random and extra moderation technics to stop this. DO NOT BOTHER ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT THIS. DO NOT POINT FINGERS AND BLAME SOMEONE ELSE. DO NOT BE FUNNY AND POKE THE BEAR. Warnings, suspensions and people will be banned going forward, and a few other things in my admin arsenal for the site.

I can't be anymore explicit with what some people need to do and what will happen.

Once you have read this...read it again.

Back