Fishing in fall and winter (with as little impact on spawning as possible)

trevor

trevor

I've never done much trout fishing in November–January. But this year, I've been getting more into fly fishing, and was hoping to extend my season. Then I found out about the spawn.

I now know not to step on redds or target spawning fish with deep nymphs. However, when wading deeper water, it's not always clear to me when there might be a redd (or are redds only in relatively shallow water, where they'd be clearly visible?). I've also read on this forum that redds should be avoided through January to protect the eggs and fry.

Before finding out about the redds, I was enjoying some great midge hatches. I know that targeting rising fish is fine, according to what I've read... I'm more concerned with how feasible it is to wade and know you're not disturbing redds. I'd seen all the articles and videos about winter streamer fishing, and now I'm wondering, does that just have to happen from February onwards?

In your experience, is there a responsible way to fish this time of year? I suppose hitting streams that don't have wild populations is an obvious option.

I can understand not wanting to bother the natives but the others are there for you to enjoy so just go fishing. Can always go to Erie.

I can understand not wanting to bother the natives but the others are there for you to enjoy so just go fishing. Can always go to Erie.
exactly! Your really only negatively effecting conservation if your bothering a native species. Bothering an invasive species is done by management agencies purposefullylol.

But where we chose to
Manage for invasive trout species for sporting reasons and let the ecosystem take the hit I understand people wanting more next year to catch.
I just don’t specifically target redds like you mentioned for sporting reasons but hitting a wild invasive brown trout stream and fishing to the best of your ability to where you think the spawners are not is fine. Like solitariolupo said non-native/invasive species sure as heck are not their for the environment, their there for sport fishermen.

In your experience, is there a responsible way to fish this time of year? I suppose hitting streams that don't have wild populations is an obvious option.
I surf fish in November and early December for the most part, but I enjoy chasing stockies in the early winter close to home.

As the winter progresses, I do fish some bigger water for post-spawn wild browns (Jan and Feb not necessarily Dec 1, dig?). You are in little danger of disturbing redds in deep water, as you noted, heads of pools deep seams in riffles, etc. Stay away from tailouts and behind islands, places like that. Wading too much in small creeks is not advised. You are smart to ask and smart to be cautious. If you don't know, it is a good idea to proceed with caution.

Also, once you know your creeks and where fish build redds most years, spawning fish and fresh redds are easier to avoid.

I surf fish in November and early December for the most part, but I enjoy chasing stockies in the early winter close to home.

As the winter progresses, I do fish some bigger water for post-spawn wild browns (Jan and Feb not necessarily Dec 1, dig?). You are in little danger of disturbing redds in deep water, as you noted, heads of pools deep seams in riffles, etc. Stay away from tailouts and behind islands, places like that. Wading too much in small creeks is not advised. You are smart to ask and smart to be cautious. If you don't know, it is a good idea to proceed with caution.

Also, once you know your creeks and where fish build redds most years, spawning fish and fresh redds are easier to avoid.
Agree. Once you know your creek it becomes easier to identify the redds. ....but if in doubt try not to get in the water in those suspected areas.. this is where your casting abilities will take hold...... It will make you a better caster for sure.

Fish are still actively spawning as of last week on Pocono streams. I would avoid them unless fishing from bank. If you wade avoid the redds. I still value wild Brown Trout and also stocked trout unlike some of the (in my view) very extremist people on this board who hijack every thread.

My personal view is I will not knowingly fish to actively spawning fish. I also try to avoid wading near redds as much as possible. But although I will avoid fishing brook trout streams during the spawn, I am not going to stop fishing for brown or rainbow trout during the spawn. If I was in Europe I would say the reverse — I would avoid fishing for native brown trout but would fish to non-native brook trout during the spawn.

I've never done much trout fishing in November–January. But this year, I've been getting more into fly fishing, and was hoping to extend my season. Then I found out about the spawn.

I now know not to step on redds or target spawning fish with deep nymphs. However, when wading deeper water, it's not always clear to me when there might be a redd (or are redds only in relatively shallow water, where they'd be clearly visible?). I've also read on this forum that redds should be avoided through January to protect the eggs and fry.

Before finding out about the redds, I was enjoying some great midge hatches. I know that targeting rising fish is fine, according to what I've read... I'm more concerned with how feasible it is to wade and know you're not disturbing redds. I'd seen all the articles and videos about winter streamer fishing, and now I'm wondering, does that just have to happen from February onwards?

It's simple, don't walk over areas that are noticeably lighter in color than the rest of the streambed and don't fish over those areas either. Redds can be the size of a dinner plate or group together to cover a large area. If the primary color of the streambed is dark brown (for example) and there are patches of lighter "clean" looking bottom, just give those areas a wide berth. If you see fish "chasing" each other in shallows, or sitting on the cleaned areas, don't fish for them.

It's pretty easy to avoid spawning fish if that's what you want to do.

Fish are still actively spawning as of last week on Pocono streams. I would avoid them unless fishing from bank. If you wade avoid the redds. I still value wild Brown Trout and also stocked trout unlike some of the (in my view) very extremist people on this board who hijack every thread.
Extremist equal those who recognize invasive species as such

On most streams trout populations are not limited by lack of spawning success.

In most cases they produce plenty of fry to maintain the population, and the excess get eaten by adult trout, birds, mink, etc. The main limitation on most trout streams is the lack of good holding water for adult trout (quality pools and cover). Our streams are mostly shallow because of various alterations to the streams that limit formation of pools and cover.

Has anyone done a study on the deer & bear that could step on a redd?
and all the mink that are constantly eating fish every single day that no one is aware of. they are masters at catching live prey no matter how deep the fish are. then you have eagles, otters, and raccoons. but the fly fisherman is the real problem, the guys who practice C&R. sport fisherman who wade into shin high water...
give me a break. if some of you are that concerned about native fish then i highly advise you to buy your trapping license and then set miles of traps, wake up before work to check your traps, then go to work,then spend all night putting fur up. it sucks. iv been there.

i have probably saved thousands of fish over my years of trapping and not one thank you lol. i put some cash in my pocket and a ton of fly tying material!

and all the mink that are constantly eating fish every single day that no one is aware of. they are masters at catching live prey no matter how deep the fish are. then you have eagles, otters, and raccoons. but the fly fisherman is the real problem, the guys who practice C&R. sport fisherman who wade into shin high water...
give me a break. if some of you are that concerned about native fish then i highly advise you to buy your trapping license and then set miles of traps, wake up before work to check your traps, then go to work,then spend all night putting fur up. it sucks. iv been there.

i have probably saved thousands of fish over my years of trapping and not one thank you lol. i put some cash in my pocket and a ton of fly tying material!
Trap some invasive fish then I’ll thank ya

Brown trout top 3 threat to brookies, mink wasn’t listed

mink will also eat invasive fish just as much as brookies. they can clear out an entire koi pond in one night.... and lol at mink wasnt listed. that source must be as mis informed as you are. i can assure you that native furbearers are doing more damage to native fish then your local fly fisherman, why? because furbearer populations have exploded due to the lack of interest in trapping. many furbearers have no predators execpt man. mink will eat fish like its no bodies business and they dont care if its native or stocked. they have very fast metabolisms and their feet are webbed for aquatic navagation. they will eat your precious brook trout and not think twice about it. buy a trapping license and learn the facts. run a trap line and see how many mink you catch in runs that you would toss a fly into. people here are worried about walking into a river and they have no idea whats happening to their fish at night while their sleeping.

Suppose all stocking of brown trout was ended in PA (by the PFBC and everyone else).

What percentage decrease in PA brown trout populations would you expect in 5 or 10 years?

Suppose all stocking of brown trout was ended in PA (by the PFBC and everyone else).

What percentage decrease in PA brown trout populations would you expect in 5 or 10 years?
Not sure would be interested to see. But your asking the wrong question, lets make it what would happen to the rate of decline of brook trout.

Not sure would be interested to see. But your asking the wrong question.
There's nothing wrong with my question. It's very relevant.

If all stocking of brown ended, do you think brown trout populations would decline? If so, how much?

There's nothing wrong with my question. It's very relevant.

If all stocking of brown ended, do you think brown trout populations would decline? If so, how much?
So the answer to mine is rates of brook trout decline would slow or halt in many cases based on that paper, thats the goal. To answer your question we need research but consider this each brown trout stocked is another set of harmful
Interactions those brook trout have to deal with. And if not stocked and fiven human charity a wild invasive brown trout has to engage in competition with a brook trout to displace it instead of simply having a huge 11” hatchery goon dropped on its head. So the answer to your question is not sure but decrease in existing number of wild invasive brown trout would not have to happen to dramatically sure up remaining brook trout if we subtract hatchery browns from equation. But now lets pretend we treat browns in certain select streams like blue catfish or snakeheads, what happens when brown trout no longer get the charity of stocking more shock troops and voluntary socially conditioned C and R? That would be interesting to see if they let fish sticks and 50 of his friends get the 10’6 2wt mono rig and take some old timey game poll photos with couple hundred browns on a poll in a class A mixed stream where brook trout are in the fight of their lives. If you stopped stocking and educated the consumptive angler on what to do for conservation I would be even more curious. Can still have exotic brown trout land in big lime stone blue ribbon trout streams for dudemanspecial

Back