Fishing Creek - "Narrows" changed to Catch and Release...

BoulderWorks

The Board voted to approve changes to fishing regulations on portions of Fishing Creek, Clinton County. Under these changes, Fishing Creek, sections 07 and 09, which are part of the popular section of the stream referred to as the “Narrows," would be removed from the Trophy Trout Artificial Lures Only program (58 Pa. Code § 65.7Opens In A New Window) and added to the Catch and Release Artificial Lures only program (58 Pa. Code § 65.5Opens In A New Window). Fishing Creek is one of the most popular Class A wild trout streams in Pennsylvania, supporting robust populations of wild Brook Trout and wild Brown Trout. From March through September 2023, the PFBC conducted angler surveys on the Narrows to obtain updated information on angler use, harvest, and opinions. A total of 927 anglers were interviewed during the 2023 survey, and all anglers interviewed practiced catch-and-release angling with no trout being harvested. Anglers indicated a strong preference to manage the entire reach of the Narrows under Catch and Release Artificial Lures Only regulations rather than a combination of Trophy Trout Artificial Lures Only and Catch and Release Artificial Lures Only regulations. Staff solicited feedback from landowners in sections 07 and 09 and respondents indicated support for the regulation change. Whenever possible, the PFBC attempts to simplify regulations where biological objectives and angler and landowner preferences align. To facilitate transition of sections 07 and 09 to the Catch and Release Artificial Lures Only program, these sections must first be removed from the Trophy Trout Artificial Lures Only program. These changes will go into effect on January 1, 2025.

https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/fish-and-boat-commission-details.aspx?newsid=613

Awesome. I must have sent in 10 of those survey cards they handed out on the stream. Sometimes I'd find them in my bag weeks later. Anyway, good stuff.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd have to imagine harvest rates are already very low and what's wrong with keeping a trout every now and again? They say the populations are very robust, while current trophy trout regs are in place, so seems like a pointless change.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd have to imagine harvest rates are already very low and what's wrong with keeping a trout every now and again? They say the populations are very robust, while current trophy trout regs are in place, so seems like a pointless change.
I agree, it makes no sense. Especially, considering the fact that the 927 anglers interviewed all said they practiced catch and release. What more do the "experts" need to hear? I am okay with it though. They could do it state wide and I'd be okay with that too. Just doesn't sound like it has to be implemented based on what surveys say.

Last edited:
I agree, it makes no sense. Especially, considering the fact that the 927 anglers interviewed all said they practiced catch and release. What more do the "experts" need to hear?

I was there and surveyed a couple years ago. Group of 6 or so of us were there gearing up. 6 C&R votes from us.

Good to see it being implemented.

Ask Lee Wulf, "“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once”

Ask Lee Wulf, "“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once”
I never agreed with the blanket statement, although I thought that “Game fish” in the sentence was “Big fish.” There are many variables that need to be considered.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see this.
Can't recall catching a fish over 14 inches there
And kinda assumed the larger ones were getting harvested.

Was told by several people who fish there a lot, that fishermen use rapalas in there during winter.
And catch a lot of the bigger ones on those

I'm glad to see this.
Can't recall catching a fish over 14 inches there
And kinda assumed the larger ones were getting harvested.

Was told by several people who fish there a lot, that fishermen use rapalas in there during winter.
And catch a lot of the bigger ones on those
From the current trophy trout reg:
"The daily creel limit is one trout except for the period from the day after Labor Day to 8 a.m. of the first Saturday in April of the following year, when no trout may be killed or had in possession."

Not sure if you were saying that the winter rapala fishermen were keeping those trout during the winter but if you were, that would be against the regs.

I understand arguments on all sides. I am not convinced it will make a big difference fishing or biomass wise, but it sends a message about priorities and introduces the idea of C&R to people who don't practice- in other words away from put and take. I took at it this way. If after 10 years they find a deleterious effect on size or biomass they have the option of changing the regs back. I wish regs were more dynamic. I understand changes are slow
I think it comes down to if you value fish number or size. TBH, I like that I have a collection of streams where numbers are the stream's strength and others where you have a higher chance of catching larger fish. Variety. Spring creek is not appealing to me, except for in the winter when fish numbers are advantageous since you increase the chance of encountering active fish.

From the current trophy trout reg:
"The daily creel limit is one trout except for the period from the day after Labor Day to 8 a.m. of the first Saturday in April of the following year, when no trout may be killed or had in possession."

Not sure if you were saying that the winter rapala fishermen were keeping those trout during the winter but if you were, that would be against the regs.
I wasn't sure about the harvesting regulations
And thought they might have been getting kept.
Thanks for the clarification.

Still think the change can only help

I understand arguments on all sides. I am not convinced it will make a big difference fishing or biomass wise, but it sends a message about priorities and introduces the idea of C&R to people who don't practice- in other words away from put and take. I took at it this way. If after 10 years they find a deleterious effect on size or biomass they have the option of changing the regs back. I wish regs were more dynamic. I understand changes are slow
I think it comes down to if you value fish number or size. TBH, I like that I have a collection of streams where numbers are the stream's strength and others where you have a higher chance of catching larger fish. Variety. Spring creek is not appealing to me, except for in the winter when fish numbers are advantageous since you increase the chance of encountering active fish.
The number of large trout in Spring Creek is limited by the poor physical habitat. Big trout are typically found where there are "depth and cover." There is not a lot of that in Spring Creek.

Fishing Creek, Penns Creek, the Little J, Kish Creek all have better physical habitat than Spring Creek.

Back