Fishing all by your lonesome

I fish alone about 50% of the time, because I can't find any one who is free to fish with.But,if you ask my wife,she thinks I fish with someone 100%of the time:)

Well, When you out fish 90% of the people you go with, most don't return for further adventures.

Most that I have gone with, look at it as competing against me. And that is in their downfall, since I am competing against the fish.

I fish solo almost exclusively. Getting away from people is one of the reasons I love to fish remote areas. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Have a buddy who is the best angler I have ever seen, he catches tons of fish. He really enjoys euro nymphing (French) from what I can tell. Everyone fishes their own way. But one time on Penns I was fishing leadwings and doing well. Ha, I out fished him for at least a little while. I'm not a counter but inside I was laughing cause I think it might have bothered him. Think the different style threw him off and he was not expecting it. He's very successful at his approach but when things changed I was able to change with them. I fish whatever but after the cold months I'm ready to fish fries and I like easier fishing these days - now that I got many experiences under my belt.

He doesn't seem to care about the surroundings neither cause when I have pointed out views etc... he would say "oh yea" then back to his tasks.

Also funny that he'll show me spots - catch fish immediately and I'll struggle and take my time then proceed to fish all the best lies ahead of me. Again comical. If it was the reverse , I would definitely give up the best spots till my partner landed a few at least. People are funny.

I've had to do many canoe/fishing trips solo. Sometimes when the water levels are perfect and going to start dropping, you just have to get there and go.

This happens all the time on the upper Greenbrier River in West Virginia. The water levels rise and fall very fast. I would rather have someone with me but there isn't the time or water levels to wait another week.

I used to go fishing all the time by myself, partly because it was a spur of the moment thing. Lately though it is just safer to go out to the places I fish and for the friendship and good company. I still go to the camp by myself and go out along, but I'm careful to make sure someone knows where I plan on going.

I have occasional fishing partners but usually my 10 year old, and I'm sure you know how much fishing i get done when that is the case.....but like many of you with families when I get time to fish its rarely planned so I go solo. I wish I had good friend that was familiar with central pa streams....but I'm getting there myself slowly but surely.

I enjoy all types of fishing including spin fishing, saltwater fishing, ice fishing and fly fishing. I prefer a fishing partner and have fished almost exclusively with one guy for the last 25 years and another for the last 5 years. For reasons I can't explain I prefer being alone when fly fishing.

I fish alone, mostly. Even when I fish with someone, we tend to go separate ways on stream. I enjoy it. Funny thing is, even though I'm alone, I never feel lonely. Solitude makes me feel closer to my surroundings.

However, now that I'm getting up in years, safety has become a concern. I always carry a flashlight, lighter, large plastic bag and whistle. And now I'm considering getting a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)... just in case.

Nearly 95% of the time. I prefer it but do enjoy the occasional fishing buddy.
I just need to get my health in order so I can fish more. I was out last week or so in CV and fished from daybreak till 1 pm. Though I spent most of my time walking slow and really taking my time being careful. Since I was alone I was really careful. Probably spent only 1 hour actually fishing. I was very effective in that 1 hour though so I do have that :lol:

Main thing is to be smart, take your time, don't get in bad situations and know your limitations.

Almost always go alone, but like Chaz, tell somebody where I am going. Also pack a head lamp and mosquito spray and a pair of shrub clippers. Blackberries in Oregon are worse than multiflora rose back east. They are waderkillers.

greenghost wrote:

However, now that I'm getting up in years, safety has become a concern. I always carry a flashlight, lighter, large plastic bag and whistle. And now I'm considering getting a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)... just in case.

City Boy! ;-)

I'm joking of course. It's actually good advice, which I refuse to follow, for now. ;-)

I'm not sure which of us is older, but I definitely look older.;-)

If I fished alone more often, then I might consider additional measures, but I rarely do that anymore.

Either way, my wife usually knows where I am at. At least roughly where I am at, and roughly when I am due home. For now, that is good enough.

I'm actually way more likely to die on the farm than out fishing somewhere else, and I don't worry about that, either. My wife worries enough for both of us. But I have recently started carrying the cel phone when I am cutting firewood. That way wife doesn't have to keep listening for the sound of the chainsaw to make sure I am still alive.

Anyone who has cut a lot of firewood has had some close calls, and that includes me. Plus, I recently lost an old high school friend who was killed while cutting firewood alone. I'm not sure if he died right away or not.

If I am hurt and can't get back to the house, I can call for help. If I'm dead, I won't care and wife can start worrying when it starts getting dark. At least she will know where to send the search party.;-)

I've fallen and I can't get up.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I've fallen and I can't get up.

I was thinking that, but since it is trademarked, I decided not to say it. :p

I've had a few wild falls over the years. I go a little slower which has actually improved my catching in most cases. But my body is definitely getting stiffer which is not too fun. Enjoy it while you can is all i can say.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I've had a few wild falls over the years. I go a little slower which has actually improved my catching in most cases. But my body is definitely getting stiffer which is not too fun. Enjoy it while you can is all i can say.

Yep. It seems that I'm good for at least one fall each time out. At least the last one wasn't in the water like the spill I had on Penns Creek a couple years ago.

Part of the problem is they don't make waders that are big AND tall. They only make regular, big or tall. That is why I used to wet wade so much.

So, if I trip or slip, it is often just better to fall and roll.

Fortunately I am good at rolling so rarely get hurt. ;-)

I always try to remember to bring an extra pair of cloths.

FarmerDave wrote:

City Boy! ;-)

Ha! More like a country boy stuck in the city! Ugh!

I'm 58, but freakin' arthritis is creeping up on me. I figure one bad step on a "slippy" rock would have the potential to do me in if I was far enough up a brookie stream. I'm looking at PLBs that are around $400. A small price to pay if it keeps me up and about for awhile longer! :)

greenghost wrote:

I'm 58, but freakin' arthritis is creeping up on me. I figure one bad step on a "slippy" rock would have the potential to do me in if I was far enough up a brookie stream. I'm looking at PLBs that are around $400. A small price to pay if it keeps me up and about for awhile longer! :)

Have you considered one of the SPOT devices that are much less than $400. I never researched them much be they seem to have decent reviews but I dont know the limitations of them compared to what you are looking for.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPOT-LLC-SPOT-GEN-ORANGE/1661065.uts?productVariantId=3609002&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03750221&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAiA9s_BBRCL3ZKWsfblgS8SJACbST7DXUS18Eetz9mi8NoapMplZSnrcUwn3QZNqxdBMCgOghoCwCrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

greenghost wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

City Boy! ;-)

How will a PLB help keep you up and about. Does it come attached to a wading staff? LOL!

I know what you mean.

BTW, bees didn't do so well this year. I had lots of bees (topped out at 12 hives), but not nearly as much honey as I was hoping. At least 3 hives seem to have failed already, but probably from robbing, and not from CCD. I'm still learning.

I'll try to save a jar for you next year, but I'll probably have to hide it.

Another reason I fish solo is because I have trouble finding someone who is willing to get on the road at 2:00AM or 3:00AM, drive 4,5, or 6 hours, fish 6-7 hours, and drive back home in the same day! lol I do that fairly often.

Back