Fishing after extended season, February 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except OP isn’t asking about class A trout streams.

Below is the quote YOU replied to on post #37, it sure looks to me like the OP was asking about Class A streams:

I've also read the handbook and see nothing saying that Non stocked waters, that have no special regs or Class A designation, are open to fishing.

I in turn replied to your quote below in the same post...

You are reading the handbook correctly. Nowhere does it explicitly say these areas/dates are open.

...showing you both WHERE in the Summary it mentions Class A streams being open. The rest are open by virtue of NOT being listed as Stocked Trout Waters.

It is really incredibly simple and easy to understand...

Bamboozle, I meant "No Special Regs, No Class A". Some of my favorite creeks are not stocked, have NO Special Regs, and NO class A designation. I understand how special regulations and class A work.

Some of my favorite creeks are not stocked, have NO Special Regs, and NO class A designation.
Mill Creek (Montgomery County) fits this description, so is it open to year round fishing, just C&R right now? I don't fish during the winter months, but I was curious about this stream.

Last edited:
Bamboozle, I meant "No Special Regs, No Class A". Some of my favorite creeks are not stocked, have NO Special Regs, and NO class A designation. I understand how special regulations and class A work.

That's simply everything that ISN'T listed as "Stocked Trout Waters..."

What I and most other have been trying to make you understand is you can fish "some of (your) favorite creeks (that) are not stocked, have NO Special Regs, and NO class A designation" during the Closed Period as long as you don't harvest.

It's no different than any other fish "season" except that the PFBC doesn't close waters if they stock those other species.

Mill Creek (Montgomery County) fits this description, so it's open to year round fishing, just C&R right now?

Also passing through or entirely in Montgomery County you can also fish with no harvest...

Sections 1-3 of Pennypack Creek, Section 1 of Wissahickon Creek and Section 1 of Stony Creek EVEN after Feb 18th.

This WASN'T the case a few years back when streams were listed BY NAME instead of BY SECTION. Today ONLY the stocked SECTIONS are closed after Feb 18.

In addition to make things even easier, the Summary lists Stocked Trout Waters that pass through multiple counties in each county that they pass through.

Last edited:
Okay, I took off from work for February 19th. Am I going to be allowed to fish or not? I wish you guys would make up your mind

That's simply everything that ISN'T listed as "Stocked Trout Waters..."
That's what I've been saying since 3rd line of the original post!!! Why, then do they say extended season ends Feb 19th for non stocked waters? They could simply make extended season for non-stocked streams go until April 5th with the same catch and release requirements (Since you are saying that's what it is).

Because it's easier to have it broken up into three "periods" (Closed, Open, Extended) for definitions and if something changes which necessitates a closure or regulation modification.

Before I was fishing, trout season used to be from whatever date was chosen for Opening Day until Labor Day... PERIOD!!

You couldn't fish for trout ANYWHERE outside of those dates whether you released your catch or not.

I'm getting to the point in my life where I really wish they would just go back to those rules which would appease the concerned and satisfy the confused...

Just stay home and read a book and save yourself the anxiety...

Last edited:
Got any good book recommendations? I'll be fishing all weekend so no hurry.

Not sure if I'm getting my point across. Here's another way to look at it... If non-stocked waters are open extended season for catch and release the date range would read Jan1st - April 5th, but it does't. It's Jan 1st to Feb 18th. Perhaps this is all in error on the FAFBC's part for not posting it correctly.
Dear bigslackwater,

For some reason unbeknownst to me, you are arguing about dates, and completely missing the far-right column of the regulation chart which states, in big bold beautiful letters-NO HARVEST-IMMEDIATE CATCH AND RELEASE.

That makes fishing legal, period. Just sayin'.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear bigslackwater,

For some reason unbeknownst to me, you are arguing about dates, and completely missing the far-right column of the regulation chart which states, in big bold beautiful letters-NO HARVEST-IMMEDIATE CATCH AND RELEASE.

That makes fishing legal, period. Just sayin'.

Regards,

Tim
Because the far right column is stating the rules within those date ranges for extended season not year round. Why would they even have dates if it’s catch and release in until opening day?

Because the far right column is stating the rules within those date ranges for extended season not year round. Why would they even have dates if it’s catch and release in until opening day?
Dear bigslackwater,

I have a suggestion, learn how to read and comprehend!

How in the name of God is it even remotely possible to say immediate catch and release if fishing is not allowed? THINK MAN, THINK!

You can have the last wrong word in the conversation!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

the only reason I care to keep arguing this is because the state always finds a way to make a gray area that makes no sense.

For years no one knew the rules on bead fishing in Erie tribs and if you asked 5 officers you’d get 5 different responses. So I stayed away from beads until they clarified.

I’m not going to go out and pretend to be white sucker fishing when I’m really trying to catch trout.
Dear bigslackwater,

I have a suggestion, learn how to read and comprehend!

How in the name of God is it even remotely possible to say immediate catch and release if fishing is not allowed? THINK MAN, THINK!

You can have the last wrong word in the conversation!

Regards,

Tim Murphy
try it on a stocked steam on March 31 and tell the officer “but I’m immediately catching and releasing” The freaking chart has the same extended season dates for stocked and non stocked streams. That’s all I’m saying! Believe me I’ve thought about it!

Here, I fixed the chart so Tim Murphy and Bamboozle can legally fish past 2/18. Print this and carry it with your license. Please tell the warden to call me if he has any questions.

Attachments

• 14723DCE-DE3B-4DEC-95DD-858474E80604.jpeg
    14723DCE-DE3B-4DEC-95DD-858474E80604.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45
...try it on a stocked steam on March 31 and tell the officer “but I’m immediately catching and releasing” The freaking chart has the same extended season dates for stocked and non stocked streams. That’s all I’m saying! Believe me I’ve thought about it!

I guess you are incapable of comprehending the rules and really should give up fishing for golf by virtue of what I quoted above...

...because despite being advised REPEATEDLY over three pages YOU CAN'T FISH STOCKED TROUT WATERS AFTER FEB 18 EVEN IF YOU CATCH AND RELEASE!!!

The rest of us KNOW THIS, so we would never get into trouble with a WCO on March 31...

In the meantime I fixed the chart to make it easy for YOU!

2024 Summary 10

Really, it's easier to just stay home and maybe listen to a Jethro Tull album...

Yes, the regulations could be more clear. The wording has changed, but the inherent confusion that results has not. I think we can all agree on that. There obviously has to be a more clear way to recite this information. I hope the PFBC eventually finds it. I also hope it does not result in a net loss of fishing opportunities for certain parts of the year. (I don’t think that’s what the PFBC is in the business of doing though, see further explanation below.)

I firmly believe that WCO’s, who are in charge of enforcing the regs, are not out there looking to write up law abiding anglers who are trying to do things right.

I’ll offer this example as a case in point. A few years ago, in March, during the STW closure, I had a desire to fish a non-stocked, non-Class A, small natural reproduction stream. The most feasible way to access this stream however involves crossing a slightly larger, but still small, stream that is a STW, to reach its mouth. In the regs, being within 25 feet (or something like that - I didn’t look it up while writing this post, so don’t quote me) with fishing gear of a STW is illegal. So, I assumed this would make crossing the STW to access the non-stocked, non-Class A, natural reproduction stream illegal too. I decided to call the PFBC and ask, just to see. Got a response, that was quite reasonable…Just don’t rig up your rod until you’ve crossed the STW, and are 25 feet (or whatever) away from it before you rig up and start fishing. On your way back, break down your rod before you get back to the STW. WCO’s aren’t looking to stop license buying anglers from enjoying angling in PA. It makes no sense if you think about it…They should be wanting to encourage (lawful) angling!

^No one should interpret the above as accurate, or anything more than one WCO’s interpretation and application of the regs. A different WCO may have given a totally different answer. Point is, if you’re not sure, call and ask. And abide by and respect the response you get.

Or, just keep debating on here with a bunch of other jags who are just amateur attorneys trying to interpret the regs. (You guys seem to like it, and if you’re enjoying it, don’t let me or this post stop you.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back