Fishing after extended season, February 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.
bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I’m a bit confused by the states regulations for trout fishing beyond extended season. The state site mentions extended season for “stocked trout waters”, and “waters not managed as stocked trout waters” ends February 18th. Under that description it seems that would cover all waters. Then in the small print it mentions Class A trout streams can be fished year round (c&r). So it appears we are limited to some special regs and Class A from mid February to April. I seem to remember being able to fish tributaries as long as they weren’t stocked… didn’t we call that “non-approved”? Did they do away with the “approved/ non approved” nomenclature!?

Special Reg areas can be fished in the "closed (to harvest) season" as well all non-stocked streams and/or stream sections.

If stream section or stream isn't listed as stocked it's open to C&R fishing.

The list of stocked streams and stream sections is provided in the guide.

If in doubt, contact the PFBC

This is the first year I’ve seen “waters not managed as stocked trout waters” listed as closed. That makes almost everything seem off limits. Here’s the 2024 regs:

Attachments

• BCD2CAAA-3625-4803-BFF5-A2A4D1228709.jpeg
    BCD2CAAA-3625-4803-BFF5-A2A4D1228709.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 142
This is the first year I’ve seen “waters not managed as stocked trout waters” listed as closed. That makes almost everything seem off limits. Here’s the 2024 regs:
The way I read it is that stretch of time is catch and release only from feb 18th to April 6th for non stocked streams.

All streams not managed as stocked trout streams are closed to harvest except from opening day to labor day. All non stocked trout waters are open to fishing all other times of year, but all trout must be caught and released.

Stocked trout streams are closed to fishing Feb 18 to opening day.

Funny, I was looking at that last night and was wondering the same thing. Are nat. repro. streams that aren't class A now off limits from Feb 18 - opening day? I don't think so. I think that new non-stocked waters extended season has to do with this new proposition I found. It looks like land owners on non-stocked streams can now petition the state to get harvest season for trout extended to match the stocked trout water extended season. Here's the link.

Funny, I was looking at that last night and was wondering the same thing. Are nat. repro. streams that aren't class A now off limits from Feb 18 - opening day? I don't think so. I think that new non-stocked waters extended season has to do with this new proposition I found. It looks like land owners on non-stocked streams can now petition the state to get harvest season for trout extended to match the stocked trout water extended season. Here's the link.

Thank you, this document actually calls it a closure. The way I read it, if it's not within the time frame of Season or extended season, it's closed, not just limited to catch and release because it's the same verbiage for Stocked Waters and Non Stocked.

As far as class A goes, That is the exception, you may fish it year round if it's Class A, not stocked, and does't have any other special regulations. That's the way I read the rules anyway!

See circled for waters not managed as stocked trout waters... it spells out the exact date range you are questioning as being open for catch and release...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-111910_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-111910_Chrome.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 92
It's really pretty simple....

If stream section or stream isn't listed as stocked or it's a special regulation C&R section it's open to C&R fishing Feb 19th through April 6th.

The list of stocked streams and stream sections is provided in the 2024 Summary Book or in the Summary PDF online at the PFBC site.

If in doubt, contact the PFBC directly.

Stocked NO FISHING......not stocked or C&R Reg FISH AWAY C&R.

Last edited:
For some reason, some think that "fly fishing" is open to all streams during this time.

Easy to understand, only C&R streams are open to fishing!

Too dang funny, these questions every single almost spring... ;)

Keep 'em comin' boys!!!

In the meantime; our new motto:

"PAFF - Questioning the Ability to Fish For Trout Labor Day Since 1975"

Last edited:
For some reason, some think that "fly fishing" is open to all streams during this time.

Easy to understand, only C&R streams are open to fishing!

Joe:

I'm not directing this at you but to try and clarify for those who aren't clear on what has already been clarified 1000 times...

First off, right now EVERYTHING is open to FISHING with ALL TACKLE with NO HARVEST until Feb 18. That includes Stocked Trout Waters, Special Regulation sections, Class A, B, C, D and other un-stocked "cricks" and lakes.

From Feb 19, only STREAM SECTIONS & lakes listed as Stocked Trout Waters are CLOSED TO FISHING until Opening Day. EVERYTHING ELSE is still OPEN to fishing with ANY tackle with NO HARVEST.

Adjacent or non-adjacent sections of streams NOT listed as Stocked Trout Waters are STILL OPEN to NO HARVEST fishing as are all other streams or stream sections or lakes NOT listed as Stocked Trout Waters.

As an example Section 2 & 4 of Yellow Breeches Creek will be CLOSED to fishing from February 19 until Opening Day. Because it is NOT listed, Section 1 remains OPEN to fishing with NO harvest.

From Opening Day onward, EVERYTHING is open to fishing & harvest except where excluded by Special Regulations.

FWIW - NOTHING has changed in the last few years except the level of misunderstanding....

It's really pretty simple....

If stream section or stream isn't listed as stocked or it's a special regulation C&R section it's open to C&R fishing Feb 19th through April 6th.

The list of stocked streams and stream sections is provided in the 2024 Summary Book or in the Summary PDF online at the PFBC site.

If in doubt, contact the PFBC directly.

Stocked NO FISHING......not stocked or C&R Reg FISH AWAY C&R.
What about Special Regs sections that are also stocked? C&R trout any time of the year (within the limitations of the special regs)?

After knowledgable persons have gone over this repeatedly last yr and this yr, apparently to no avail, I now prefer that individuals here think what they wish to think. It will just mean that 1) there will more room for those of us legally fishing C&R on unstocked stream sections during the closure period in stocked stream sections and 2) that all the rest can go to special reg sections that are stocked, such as DH Areas 😂

What about Special Regs sections that are also stocked? C&R trout any time of the year (within the limitations of the special regs)?

Some definitions may be in order:

Special Regulation Section - Section of stream or a lake that is managed under DIFFERENT regulations than regular waters. Regardless of whether a trout Special Regulation section or lake is stocked or not, the rules for that Special Regulation Section or lake is defined separately and available for review in the Summary Booklet.

Closed to Fishing - You can't fish PERIOD using any method, partake in any activity or be in possession of any items that fit the definition of "fishing" by the PFBC. In other words, if it is February 19th and you looking for good spots on a Stocked Trout Waters Section with a rod in your hand...

...you may get busted EVEN IF you haven't wet a line...

Open to Fishing - You CAN fish using any legal method.

No Harvest - Means you CAN'T keep fish, it DOESN'T mean you CAN'T fish.

Stocked Trout Waters - DUH... The ONLY trout waters effected by the incessant questions every year. Trout streams are defined BY SECTION, NOT by name so only the sections listed are Stocked Trout Waters. The list of Stocked Trout Waters can be found in the Summary Booklet.

Martini - Cocktail I will be consuming to help me get though the next couple of months on PAFF... ;)

After knowledgable persons have gone over this repeatedly last yr and this yr, apparently to no avail, I now prefer that individuals here think what they wish to think. It will just mean that 1) there will more room for those of us legally fishing C&R on unstocked stream sections during the closure period in stocked stream sections and 2) that all the rest can go to special reg sections that are stocked, such as DH Areas 😂
Good point Mike......more room for us to fish!!👍

See circled for waters not managed as stocked trout waters... it spells out the exact date range you are questioning as being open for catch and release...
It does not. The exact date range I am talking about is Feb 19-April 5th. Which is the period not covered by extended season or regular season. Some of you are reading the No Harvest Rule - Catch and Immediately release, which is intended for Extended season and applying it to this out of season range (2/19-4/5)

I think we forget sometimes that people fish for things other than trout. No way PAFBC is shutting down fishing in the entire state from February 19th to April 5th with the only exception being special regulations.

If they closed the other streams, rivers, and lakes there would be no point in having a harvest period for other fish such as walleye, panfish, etc during the “closed” trout season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back