Fisher?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I think I saw a fisher tonight. I only saw it for about 2 seconds. As soon as it realized it wasn't alone, it ran across the creek, dove under some wood in the water, and ran into the brush on the other bank.
It was dark with a lighter chest, between 3'-4' long, and maybe 15 lbs. Does that sound about right?

I would say yes as well. I saw one on First Fork about 25 years ago. They are out there and people have noted seeing them about once a year or two on the site. Glad to keep hearing about them. Where or what area?

The name "fisher" is often confusing to many. Fishers are big woods animals and do not relate to water. They are very sparsely populated thus are rarely ever seen in vast wooded areas.

I think they even started trapping them in Pa again?

It sounds like a fisher. I've only ever seen one and it also had the light-colored chest. I don't think all of them have that.

They are not water animals like mink, but the one I saw was NEAR a stream. I think fishers and bobcats may often hunt near streams because there is a lot of food there.

I would say yes as well. I saw one on First Fork about 25 years ago. They are out there and people have noted seeing them about once a year or two on the site. Glad to keep hearing about them. Where or what area?
Tuscarora SP.
I spend a lot of time outdoors and see unusual things from time to time. A fisher is something that I've wanted to see for a long time. I'm glad I got to see it.

Sounds like a fisher. They are fierce predators.

Have you ruled out an otter?
Not 100% but after a day or two of learning the differences, im leaning more toward a fisher. The next time I'm there again (maybe this afternoon), I plan to check for tracks, slides, or other clues.

It’s true that fishers are rarely seen but they are quietly creeping into more counties. Look at it this way. How many coyotes or Red Fox do you see? They are quite plentiful but since they are active at night you won’t see many.

PA has 25 wildlife mgmt units and Fishers have an open season in 16 of those units. Limit of 1 per license year. Basically 2/3 of the state has a season.

The eastern half of Butler county has an open season and 2 trappers I know each got one this year during the 15 day season. One was hit on the highway a mile from my house over the winter. I’ve seen a handful and I’ve seen tracks in the snow within a 1/4 mile of my house. I’m in a WMU where there is no open season.

The only 2 choices here are otter and fisher. I’d guess If it wanted to take refuge in the water it was an otter or if it favored land it was a fisher. Otters do spend a fair amount of time out of the water. One day in NY 3 of them came by me while I was turkey hunting as they paralleled a creek. Otters tend to travel in 2s and 3s while fishers don’t travel in groups.

I know of two fisher instances in the Northern York / Cumberland County area. One was spotted by a friend of mine and the other I saw in Fur Fish and Game Magazine (March?). I was impressed by the size of the one in the magazine. Someone was holding it so it was easy to compare the size.

I have found that if I am unsure of what an animal is, or doubt if it was what I thought it was, I take a pic of the track and compare online.

i saw what I thought was a mink on Penns a couple falls ago. A local said it was a fisher.

Fairly common in Pike County Pa and across the river in NJ.

Back