Fished the Lehigh this weekend

Fished in a new to me section near Packerton yesterday 2PM until 7PM..very few sulfurs. A brief caddis hatch around 3PM. Took advantage of it and caught 3 real quick on top and VERY slow after that.Wanted to take water temp,but left my thermometer in my "float tube" vest.

Sounds like it slowed down with this death hot weather, maybe things will pick back up when it cools down

I hope so, because two of my favorite hatches should be starting soon. The Iso's and large olives (Drunellas?).

Anybody been out since the weather changed and the rains came

Since Sunday, Lehighton station showing almost 3.5" of rain. Flow is 1800 cfs and on the rise. Might not me fishable for a bit....as long as the inflow is chugging at the current rate.

We sure needed this rain,this should perk things up when the river settles down.

I'm sure the big olives are on right now. What a great late afternoon hatch. Any reports?

Fished the UPper, some caddis coming off and didnt see anything else. Caught a bunch of smallies and a rainbow

I'm fishing the LR 3 straight days this week:Wednesday through Saturday..This is a make up of the trip that got blown out last week.
I'm hoping the expected rain on Monday and Tuesday doesn't make the river unfishable again.Really pumped!!!

So, this week / next week would be a good time to book a guided float trip on the Lehigh?

Fished below Walnutport a few hours this afternoon,and thanks to the info in the above posts ,I was ready for the "big olives".Only a sporadic hatch ,but the fish were looking up for them.Had a nice flurry of activity for about an hour before I had to head home prematurely since I took a nasty spill in the water.

Sorry to hear you fell, you ok?

You fell on the Lehigh and made it home? Sounds like a successful day to me!

mikesl wrote:
So, this week / next week would be a good time to book a guided float trip on the Lehigh?

It's worth a shot, a full day float starting in early morning might be better than a afternoon/evening float as starting tomorrow the temps will be in the mid to upper 80s with high humidity thru the weekend too. The guides will tell you if it's a go but it may be a day to day decision. A few years ago I had booked a trip around late May/ early June and unseasonably hot & humid weather pushed it back until the weather finally broke. It pays to be a bit flexible in your trip planning this time of year.

Well,the spill hurt my ego more than my bod to tell the truth.Timmy.
I make so many "day" trips to the LR,my wife thinks I may have a girl friend in Lehighton :) .......at my age,I know she's just stroking my ego.

Did spend,Thursday,Friday,and today (AM only) in Lehighton,but did not fish the LR after Thursday PM:I caught a nice brown near Bowmanstown ,and had a tough time reviving it.That did it for me on the LR the rest of the trip!!!

The water temps went up pretty dramatically with the 90F air temps.So I spent my time exploring and fishing several tribs of the LR and wasn't disappointed.

Fished around White haven on Friday night. Water temp was 64. Bugs everywhere. ISO's, caddis ,and sulphers. Fish everywhere, missed a bunch lost count of how many I caught. Got two fish at once for the first time.

mostly rainbows, two browns at the end almost dark on a sulpher compardun and a cdc caddis, another nice brown was caught too by a friend. Most fish were caught nymphing

Fished where black creek flows into the river and got a couple nice brookies. Did not spend to much time fishing the river because we were focused on the streams but it was nice. I was using a #12 hares ear and a WD40 trailer. Did pretty well all weekend. I was happy to get a fish being the first time i fished the lehigh.

Back