First trout on fly rod.

Congratulations. Though there are easier ways to catch trout than by fly-fishing, you will find your fly-fishing journey fascinating. Fly-fishing is a constant learning experience and is addicting to many of us. You will learn many things, but none of us ever learns "everything"! (Well, maybe George Daniel has!) Anyhow, enjoy your days on the water; may they be many.

Great start. Catching a fish on the first cast is one of those fishermen superstitions. It has happened to me twice and that was the only fish I caught that day.
I remember one morning a number of years ago, I caught a wild brown on my very first cast of the day. I said to myself, that's a good sign. I proceeded to have one of my best days ever on that stream, catching 40+ browns.

It was one of those rare days when you could do no wrong. :)

I always fear landing a trout on the first cast! Usually, it is the only one that I will land all day!!!
I've got to the point where I throw away my first cast -- put it someplace where I don't expect a fish to be and pick it up fairly quickly.

I've got to the point where I throw away my first cast -- put it someplace where I don't expect a fish to be and pick it up fairly quickly.
Doesn't work... It just leads to the "Fish-in-the-first-5-minutes" curse. There's really nothing one can do. :)

Getting better. Made the trip to Spring Creek today and fished from 10-2. Beautiful day and seems like a great creek. Caught 5 Browns and had a few hooked that I didn’t land. Nothing big but was a great day. And….I only caught the trees twice! Like I said….getting better! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 14
Getting better. Made the trip to Spring Creek today and fished from 10-2. Beautiful day and seems like a great creek. Caught 5 Browns and had a few hooked that I didn’t land. Nothing big but was a great day. And….I only caught the trees twice! Like I said….getting better! Lol
You know you're doing well when you only re-tip your leader < 20 times.

This is off topic, but please at least TRY to adhere to advice to prevent mudsnails. I know their spread is probably inevitable, but we should at least try.

Let all of your gear dry thoroughly before fishing somewhere else. Or wear separate waders and boots.

I remember one morning a number of years ago, I caught a wild brown on my very first cast of the day. I said to myself, that's a good sign. I proceeded to have one of my best days ever on that stream, catching 40+ browns.

It was one of those rare days when you could do no wrong. :)
Those days are better than the days when you catch a fish on your first cast and think "this is going to be great," and then you don't get a bite the rest of the day. Lol

This is off topic, but please at least TRY to adhere to advice to prevent mudsnails. I know their spread is probably inevitable, but we should at least try.

Let all of your gear dry thoroughly before fishing somewhere else. Or wear separate waders and boots.
Uh, yes. My gear is always rinsed and completely dried after every outing. Waders hung and dried and boots on my peet dryer. Thanks.

Back