First trout on fly rod.

Richbo69

Richbo69

First cast on the breeches today…..only one I caught. Caught on a size 16 rainbow warrior. Hopefully just a start….was a beautiful day!
IMG 2156

A great way to begin fly fishing! Congrats on your first fly rod trout. But I had to laugh at the "first cast....only one I caught" comment.

congrats. i remember my first too. havent put the fly rod down since

Great start. Catching a fish on the first cast is one of those fishermen superstitions. It has happened to me twice and that was the only fish I caught that day. Now, I try and waste a cast and cross my fingers a fish doesn´t hook itself.

Now, stay away from bananas. :)

I always fear landing a trout on the first cast! Usually, it is the only one that I will land all day!!!

I assume this one was in the catch and release section of the Breeches.

Congrats on your first!

I caught my first trout (stocker brown) on a fly about 40+ years ago, using a muskrat nymph. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Sweet good job!! It is crazy how much you will remember and appreciate that fish through the years.

Good job! Not the last time that first-cast thing will happen. It has happened to one of my boys so many times that he calls it the first-cast curse.

Congrats on your first with the fly rod! That one will stick with you forever.

Well done! I remember my first. It was on Clarks on a Woolly Bugger….many years ago. You’re going to remember that one!

My first trout on a fly:
1.Loaner Eagle Claw fly rod
2. Royal coachman wet
3. Francis Branch back when it was stocked
4. 9 inch beat up stocker brown missing a fin
Funny but I don’t remember the year. Possibly 49 years ago. Your trout was beautiful and caught on a stream that does not often treat rookies well. Congratulations!

Great start. Catching a fish on the first cast is one of those fishermen superstitions. It has happened to me twice and that was the only fish I caught that day. Now, I try and waste a cast and cross my fingers a fish doesn´t hook itself.

I have the same experience. If i catch one first cast I might as well get in the car and go back home.

Congrats. Sounds like you had a first.cast jinx. My buddy usually picks water that looks unlikely to hold fish for the first cast.

Back