First Time Catching Fish on the Fly

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

i went out fishing today at one of my favorite bass ponds, and they have alot of blue gill and sunfish. Since i knew the bass wouldnt be biting since it was in the 30's i targeted sunfish and bluegill. They were surfacing hitting these little brown flies, i dont know maybe you guys know if there is hatch going on? so i took my smallest brown dry fly lol ( i dont know the names for any of my dries yet.) but i casted it out, gave it a few twitches and a big sunfish took it, it was a blast. I haven't fished for sunfish/bluegill since i was in kindergarten on spinning gear but on fly gear i could see my self doing that on a daily basis! But anyways after they stopped surfacing i put on a gold ribbed hares nymph and killed them with just stripping the line in slow. Anyways i caught about 30 sunfish/bluegill. And this probably the longest time i have fished at once other than the first day of trout LOL i fished for 6 hours! well i just want to say thanks for all the knowledge you guys shared to get me started!

Attachments

• 0401111721.jpg
    0401111721.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10

Congrats, on your great day!

Sunnies on a pond are a lot of fun, keep at it.

pudiepaul

Kid,
Good job! Sunnies are a blast and easy to catch. I love fishing for sunfish. The bugs you saw hatching, I'd be willing to bet, were little brown stoneflies.

Back