First Smallmouth on the fly! (also first on topwater!)

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

went fishing today on Pine Creek Allegheny county and went for basically anything that would bite, the trout are basically fished out. well since this stream connects to the river SM bass seem to find there way up it, a couple miles actually. we havent got rain in a while so the stream was extremely low. I luckily found a seam in the creek about 7 yards long and 3 feet deep. saw a carp and catfish swimming around in there by they wouldnt take my streamer. Then i saw what looked like a big sunfish flash at the surface. i put on a little white popper, cast down stream and start giving it little twitches when a little smallmouth inhaled it! i have caught SM on spinning and casting gear but this was a lot different! even though it was only about 10" and it fought like a pig on my 5 wt. lol well i think ill be fishing more for smallies, and on top!

Attachments

• 0608111739.jpg
    0608111739.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6
Congratulations! Smallies are wonderful on the fly.

Kid,
Nice job. Welcome to the Warm Water Insurgents (WWI).

"Trout are for Suckers!"
:)

smallmouth are more fun than trout.

You will become addicted to SMB! Welcome to the sickness!

Congrats on becoming hooked on smallies! They are my favorite on a flyrod. And catching them on top is the only way to go. Keep plugging away (or should I say keep popping away).

PS -- Wait til you tie into a 3 or 4 pounder! It'll make the largest trout -- except steelhead of course -- seem like a big wimp.

Nice Smallie dude. 90% of the reason I got my flyrod was for Smallies/Redbreasts and other warm water fish. Trout are just a nice distraction in the Spring until the bigger warm water streams come down to wadable levels. Hope to report my first Smallie on the long stick soon as well.

congrats! I love smallie fishing in the summer once the trout slow down.

yes sunfish/redbreast/bluegill are a blast!

bronzeback on a popper certainly means summer has arrived. them and everything they swim with is a good time on the flyrod. fallfish are easily taken with the same flys, wait till one of those pigs takes you for a walk. they're no fun to look at, but play well on the fly.

Back