First Aid Kits

ryansheehan wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

The bottom line is urushiol sensitivity INCREASES with contact so avoidance if possible or washing off quickly is the key to DECREASED sensitivity. If you are lucky enough to think you are not allergic, don’t take chances with contact and no one should try any folk medicine methods like eating the stuff.

Many experts believe everyone is allergic to urushiol but in varying degrees. Deliberate exposure may put you in a place you don’t want to be.

I have been told this many times but I used to get it bad as a child. I have not had in 25 years or so and believe me it's not for lack of trying Man, I'm really screwed now, not even a bandage to cover the poison ivy I'm going to get.

Thats interesting that experts say that everyone is allergic. I've never had a reaction to poison ivy and I've 100% have came in contact with it many many times, its also interesting to note that my brother doesnt have any reactions to it either.

According to experts the more you come in contact the worse your reaction is. Your reaction now may be unnoticeable but with continued exposure your reaction would grow, possibly to a point where you would notice. My personal experiences tell me other wise(as stated above) but they are far from scientific.

This one time at Jam Camp FD fell in the stream and a dog barked #OutLoud

I'll add the grain of salt...

Urushiol, the stuff in poison ivy that causes the allergic reaction is barely soluble in water, alcohol is better but not even alcohol will do the trick once it is absorbed into the skin, which happens within 10 minutes or less. Soap & water or Technu are effective. 

As someone who gets poison ivy by just talking about it and has been in the hospital twice from it, I always carry soap in some form. Small packets of soap leaves marketed by Coleman and others are great or a small bottle of Camp Suds in a pocket is the best way to wash off if you come in contact. Having some soap has other benefits in the event nature calls.

I also carry Technu wipes in case the contact comes when water isn’t handy. The only disadvantage to any type of wipe in a packet is despite being sealed, they eventually dry out so you may end up with something that is useless when you need it. Soap never goes anywhere, especially the soap leaves.

The bottom line is urushiol sensitivity INCREASES with contact so avoidance if possible or washing off quickly is the key to DECREASED sensitivity. If you are lucky enough to think you are not allergic, don’t take chances with contact and no one should try any folk medicine methods like eating the stuff.

Many experts believe everyone is allergic to urushiol but in varying degrees. Deliberate exposure may put you in a place you don’t want to be.

When I was a kid I got poison real bad a couple times. I don't know if you can find it anymore, but I used Fels-Naptha soap and that stuff dried it right up in a few days.

I don't if I buy the whole argument that more exposure increases sensitivity. Scientific or not, I never get a reaction from poison any more and I know I've weed wacked the stuff and walked through it in shorts for years. Common sense would tell me that from experience and from accounts of others who have said the same, that it just doesn't seem very solid. Scientist don't always get everything right, and degree can't buy common sense. And who am I to disagree, but I do, and that's just like, my opinion, man.

I decided to check around Al's internets for info on poison ivy and seems becoming less allergic is pretty common. Found this on web md:

Sensitivity to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac varies from a mild to severe reaction, and may not cause any reaction at all the first time you're exposed. Some adults who reacted to poison ivy as children may find that they are now less sensitive. Some may even lose their sensitivity altogether.

i could roll around naked in poison ivy,and not get it.this is not just theory :)

I'm also one of those lucky ones who are highly resistant to poisin ivy. However, I too have heard the notion that this immunity can fade with time and exposure, so these days I'm careful around PI.

ryansheehan wrote:
According to experts the more you come in contact the worse your reaction is. Your reaction now may be unnoticeable but with continued exposure your reaction would grow, possibly to a point where you would notice. My personal experiences tell me other wise(as stated above) but they are far from scientific.

Same here, if it is true that the more contact the worse the reaction I would assume I would have a terrible reaction by now, but still havent had one. Most of my teenage years were spent outdoors, and much of my adult life, I've identifiably have came into contact with poisin ivy many many times, and probably many more when I wasnt paying attention. I'm not so sure more contact = more reaction in all cases, It certainly doesn't appear to be the case with me personally.

Funny thing, when I first saw the subject I thought of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs&list=RDY3TzP-o4vhs

Moderator: feel free to move this to the OTW forum.

As for me, I usually fish with a buddy and don't carry a first aid kit.

Don

I agree with Ryan. I don't even carry a Band-aid. *knock on wood* I'll cut myself tomorrow now.

But I don't worry about ticks like y'all do either. I pulled a lonestar tick off of my leg a while back. If I get that "red meat" disease I won't survive.

The best place to have poison ivy (or some thorny bushers) is outside your teenager daughter's room window.

I thought about this thread for long time and had it on my list to do a video follow up. These are the items I carry as a EDC while I'm fishing.

Back