First Aid Kits

Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry. But it's small.

It did remind me of this.

When hiking in the Rockies and you come across a pile of bear skat, how do you tell what type of bear left it?

The one that has little bells and whistles in it and smells like hot peppers is the one left by a grizzly.

I guess the reason the back zippered area is so big is to carry that big First Aid Kit. And here I thought it was for a change of clothes or rain coat.

I don't feel the need to carry everything I think i'll need only to find out that what I need is not in the first aid kit to begin with.

Here's one of the pouches I have for my backpack. It was originally a kit, its since been refilled and half depleted several times, mostly from me digging in it when I lose a lighter or couldn't find pain pain medicine, or bandaids. Its about half empty now, missing antiseptic, gauze, medical tape, allergy pills, waterproof matches, water tablets, small flashlight, knife.

It does have a pouch with thread, wire, fishing line, razors, safety pins, needles, fire starting sticks, candle, pencil & pad, bandages, compass, alcohol wipes, mirror, reflective blanket, and flourescent tape.

This thread kinda got me motivated to get my first aid and survival kits restocked.

When I was younger I would find myself miles from nowhere in new territory and losing daylight, probably several times in a season. I probably don't make it further than a mile or two from a road more than once or twice a year anymore, especially after dark. If I did I'd be accused of being at a bar somewhere.

Attachments

• 2017-07-19 17.24.36.jpg
    2017-07-19 17.24.36.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 2
Man, you guy's are making me feel bad, I carry nothing. I have 14 spools of tippet but not a single bandage.

Last time I got stung by a bee it hurt 3 times harder than when I got stung as a kid. I chalked it up to super bee evolution over 40 years between my bee stings.

I also fell on the ice a while back. Ice also evolved into super ice since I don't remember ice being that hard and slippery when I was a kid.

I carry a first aid kit in my boat. I also take it surf fishing since beach vehicle passes require it. I Don't know exactly what's in since I've never opened it. Don't carry anything when wading but it's a good idea. A couple band aids won't take up much room.

Man, you guy's are making me feel bad, I carry nothing. I have 14 spools of tippet but not a single bandage.

In the case of limb loss you have enough tippet for a good tourniquet :lol: so you got that.

Sometimes I carry an extra tin. Probably a good idea to carry a first aid kit but I don't.

So, you noticed all that, too? LOL!

When painting the shed the other day, a yellow jacket came flying out of a hole and nailed me right on the lip. It surprised me that it didn't hurt much at all. I mean, at first I was wondering if it actually stung me or not, but after a few seconds I could tell. It was actually kind of disappointing. ;-)

On the other hand, honey bee stings cause me to swear a lot and break into an interpretive dance.

FarmerDave wrote:
Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry.

The argument I heard for carrying a whistle is that it requires a lot less effort to make a loud noise by blowing on a whistle, than yelling.

FarmerDave wrote:
Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry.

The argument I heard for carrying a whistle is that it requires a lot less effort to make a loud noise by blowing on a whistle, than yelling.

I can whistle loudly, but I carry a whistle on excursions into unfamiliar woods. In a state of distress it would be easier to make a loud noise and the sound of a whistle blowing is more likely to draw attention to yourself, to draw in human help and to ward off animal encounters.

Do they make a pocket nature language translater? one day I heard a kitten crying and went searching for it, and it turned out to be a bird. I'm so glad that I didn't find a kitten and that the bird did'nt laugh at me for being fooled.

JackM wrote:
I can whistle loudly, but I carry a whistle on excursions into unfamiliar woods. In a state of distress it would be easier to make a loud noise and the sound of a whistle blowing is more likely to draw attention to yourself, to draw in human help and to ward off animal encounters.

Jack, that has merit.

If I heard a whistle blowing out in the middle of nowhere, I'd assume someone was in distress, possibly even a kid.

On the other hand, if I heard you yelling out in the middle of nowhere, I might think you needed help, but my arrival could be delayed while I am rolling on the ground laughing at the silly mupear for getting lost.;-)

Maybe he's not lost, but stuck in the mud. And that is no laughing matter. I found out the stuck way when I stepped into the mud and sunk almost up to my knees once. I thank God there was some else around to help me out.

There is a safety tag that is being placed on every whistle...It states "Blow Me" with an arrow pointing to the correct location.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Maybe he's not lost, but stuck in the mud. And that is no laughing matter.

I disagree. Either way, I'm laughing.

I found out the stuck way when I stepped into the mud and sunk almost up to my knees once. I thank God there was some else around to help me out.

Only up to your knees? Unless you went in head first (like the menure pile), that aint stuck and is most certainly laugh worthy. No way would I yell, or blow a whistle to get laughed at, but you should consider carrying an air horn to draw an audience.

There is a safety tag that is being placed on every whistle...It states "Blow Me" with an arrow pointing to the correct location.

Funny, but wouldn't surprise me.

Attachments

• this sign has sharp edges.jpg
    this sign has sharp edges.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
FarmerDave wrote:
Dave_W wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

2. The oil in poison ivy is water soluble. If you noticed you got into the stuff, wash the area right away with COLD water. Jewelweed also will help preventing poison ivy rash. It is quite common especially around the water so you don't have to carry it with you. Wash the area with cold water and then rub that stuff on. Some people rub it on before heading into areas with poison ivy as a preventative.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I can't remember where I heard/read that about the cold water, but it made sense. I emphasize cold, because warm will open your pores.

You are standing in a cold stream anyway...

But I recommend that you take that with a grain of salt. I could just be (actually likely) that I am one of the lucky ones who isn't sensitive to poison ivy, but I don't want to test that theory by rolling around in it.

I'll add the grain of salt...

Urushiol, the stuff in poison ivy that causes the allergic reaction is barely soluble in water, alcohol is better but not even alcohol will do the trick once it is absorbed into the skin, which happens within 10 minutes or less. Soap & water or Technu are effective.

As someone who gets poison ivy by just talking about it and has been in the hospital twice from it, I always carry soap in some form. Small packets of soap leaves marketed by Coleman and others are great or a small bottle of Camp Suds in a pocket is the best way to wash off if you come in contact. Having some soap has other benefits in the event nature calls.

I also carry Technu wipes in case the contact comes when water isn’t handy. The only disadvantage to any type of wipe in a packet is despite being sealed, they eventually dry out so you may end up with something that is useless when you need it. Soap never goes anywhere, especially the soap leaves.

The bottom line is urushiol sensitivity INCREASES with contact so avoidance if possible or washing off quickly is the key to DECREASED sensitivity. If you are lucky enough to think you are not allergic, don’t take chances with contact and no one should try any folk medicine methods like eating the stuff.

Many experts believe everyone is allergic to urushiol but in varying degrees. Deliberate exposure may put you in a place you don’t want to be.

Bamboozle wrote:

The bottom line is urushiol sensitivity INCREASES with contact so avoidance if possible or washing off quickly is the key to DECREASED sensitivity. If you are lucky enough to think you are not allergic, don’t take chances with contact and no one should try any folk medicine methods like eating the stuff.

Many experts believe everyone is allergic to urushiol but in varying degrees. Deliberate exposure may put you in a place you don’t want to be.

I have been told this many times but I used to get it bad as a child. I have not had in 25 years or so and believe me it's not for lack of trying Man, I'm really screwed now, not even a bandage to cover the poison ivy I'm going to get.

Well, when you do get it, get an over the counter allergy medication to control the itch and an antiperspirant to dry it out.

FD, you must have a menure fettish or something. Maybe you got stuck in it when you were a kid or an adult. I guess we should bring a pile of that as well, in case we needs a fire.

Dkile: I was trying to figure out why you would need extra tampons....then I realized that TP stood for toilet paper.

In regards to first aid kits,...

No kit for me but I always carry a knife, whiskey, a lighter, some cigars and a whistle.

If I get hurt bad and can't make it back to the car where there is a bare bones first aid kit and cold beer in case I have to get the nerve to suture myself up...

I'll bleed out where I am while I'm drinking the whiskey, smoking the cigars and blowing the whistle...

...so the bears don't eat me.

Back