Finding Brookie Streams ..

That would be a Squatch in a China Shop, I wouldn't make a habit out of slapping the water with your line. Brookies do spook and I've seen them dart for cover when I was 75 feet from the stream walking along a trail.
Always be aware of the sun angle you'll better off, you don't want the sun at you back and casting your shadow on the stream.

Stagger,

The biggest issues are indeed YOU and your rod waving around. Line slap, shadows, etc. will all do it. As will ridiculous, wake forming drag.

That said, they are less picky about the finer aspects of presentation. That is, a little micro-drag ain't gonna be a problem, nor will a fly that lays on it's side, a tail out of proportion, etc.

Think of it this way. Trout in small infertile streams (not just brookies) are more wary about being eaten, but less wary about the things they eat.

i used to fish the sw freestoner's a lot, including camp run.

camp run is NOT a tight stream for someone who has the ability to cast well.

when you see a run ahead,

1.) get in position behind the pool...

2.) ****locate and assess your casting lanes*** (most important)

3.) kneel or squat

4.) pull out desired line

5.) quickly generate line speed w. a few double hauls in your casting lane

6.) work the pool from the tail to the head.

a good caster with a 5-7' rod can turn a 10' back cast into 20' and so on. If you are standing in the middle of camp run, in most places, you can get 15' back casts at least and shoot another 10' of line, giving you a 25' cast into the pool. If nothing rises after 2 drifts, take 2 steps forward slowly and repeat.

another thing i notice people w. little experience tend to do...

when you finish a pool, do not, unless you have to hike far, reel in all slack and put fly in holder on rod.

I always seat the fly in the holder, but leave enough line out so my fly line is out of the last guide, this way, after walking to next run, I can pull line out and easily get a cast out.

when you finish a pool, do not, unless you have to hike far, reel in all slack and put fly in holder on rod.

I always seat the fly in the holder, but leave enough line out so my fly line is out of the last guide, this way, after walking to next run, I can pull line out and easily get a cast out.

That's an important item for beginners in this type of fishing. In this type of fishing, you fish, walk, fish, walk, etc. And the walking is frequently in thick stuff. Steve is correct, for the walks, you do not want to reel that knot through the tip guide, then pull it back out to fish, then reel it back in to walk, etc. It's a hassle, the messing around will spook fish, and you will wear out or break the rod tip. But at the same time, you don't want to walk with slack line, either. Slack line catches on EVERYTHING.

I usually attack it by closely watching my leader length. I use a 7'6" rod most times, and generally, I try to keep the leader and tippet short enough so that when I put a fly in the hook holder, the fly line is just off the tip of the rod. This is one reason for short leaders.

In times where I want a little longer leader, I'll loop it around the reel base then back to the hook holder. Gives you an extra foot or so, but you have to be conscious of it or you will tangle.

If I fish a stream where I'm down to a 5 or 6 foot rod, though, that option is nearly out the window. Then I usually loop some line in my hand, and hold it against the rod when I walk. For longer walks I go ahead and reel it through and hook up to the holder.

the kneeling & crouching is pretty important.

remember that when choosing your hip boots or waders.

in summer a pair of roofers knee pads will save your knees.

you will get odd comments, well more than usual...hey buster, where's your skateboard etc.

its a great way to fish though - more like hunting than fishing. forethought is everything and i find it mentally very relaxing.

enjoy it.

again...

the most important aspect of fishing wild freestone streams the right way (dry or die), is...

casting lanes.

staying in your casting lane helps you keep stealth, out of trees, and the ability to reach the head of the pool after working the tail. Side arm and double hauling casting must be achieved.

no offense but, wilds w. streamers and nymphs?? that's not even fishing.

no offense to who? I didn't see anything in this thread about streamers and nymphs?

imho sightcasting a nymph to a feeding/holding brookie is harder than dry fly fishing.

it was a general statement pp cray.. i wasn't calling on anyone, bud.

seriously, anything subsurface for those dumb dinks is not fun in my eyes... doesn't mean those who enjoy it should stop. just my a-holish opinion that it takes zero skill. yes, i said zero skill.

the entire premise of freestone wild trout is a joke. relaxing, easy fishing for numbers.

the

I respectfully disagree with you, Steve. Don't get me wrong, I think catching wild fish on dry flies is really cool, but I also enjoy and find myself more than not going underneath for native Brookies. If double haul casting is a must for you, you obviously are not fishing the same type of streams that I target for wild fish. Our sport is so diverse it allows us many different techniques to use and try to master. To me, that's what makes it so enjoyable.

Steve,

Gotta say I agree with dc. I have NEVER double hauled on a mountain brookie stream. I pretty much single haul as a matter of habit, but it's probably not necessary.

Dries are easier, not harder, than subsurface. If they're agressive enough to rise, they'll hit anything, on top or underneath. But you can fish from further away, and around tighter cover, with dries.

And I could see calling this type of fishing easy, it is in a certain manner. It's tough in other ways, like finding it and getting yourself there. Relaxing??? Seriously? On larger streams I may never go more than a quarter mile or so. On a good day on a brookie stream, I cover miles, and am quite literally sore and exhausted at the end.

Numbers, yeah, they're high. I don't do it for the fish. I do it for the places.

dudes, i am talking about finesse fishing the same streams as well, but double haul just to punch a cast through a small as window of space to fish the hole most would nymph, with a dry.

i think you both took what i said a little out of context

all the likely and unlikely small streams in the sw and north worth fishing... most small, class a's and b's.

Steve,
It was not my intention to take anything you said out of context. My point was that a double haul cast to shoot a dry fly through a tight spot on many of the brush choked mountain freestoners I fish is not only impractical it would be totally impossible. Many times I fish downstream by paying out line and drifting my subsurface offering through runs, into undercuts and directly into and under debris jams. Stealth, low profile, sun angle are very important because I am trying to catch the "dumb dinks" while they are facing me. I feel this technique affords me the opportunity to fish a lot more productive water than I could conventionally with a dry fly. Your comment about this type of fishing "not really being fishing" is what I wholeheartedly disagree with. Again, no disrespect intended to you, and sometimes it is good to say that we agree to disagree and carry on. Tight lines!

stevehalupka wrote:

the entire premise of freestone wild trout is a joke.

That's pretty embarrassing. And posted in the Beginner Forum. Bad guidance for beginning flyfishers, IMHO.

For anyone fairly new to flyfishing (or anyone who has done little or no freestone wild trout fishing), don't be influenced by that kind of talk.

Going out on the forested streams of PA and fishing for wild trout is terrific, some of the best that PA has to offer. Don't miss out on it!

yea, i never meant to deter people from fishing any way.. just giving out my stance that, if i can't fish dries to freestone wilds, i'll move on to the next stream which i can

dc,

you highlighted exactly what i was referring to.... standing at the head and letting line out while the current works to achieve a drift. It's just not my forte.

Seriously, i can assure you some of those impossible casts can be made! if it's a stream where you truly cannot back-cast AT ALL, i don't even waste my time w. it. That doesn't mean YOU don't have fun w. them.

the average person would say camp run is a tight stream... to people who have experience w. tight quarters and a small rod, they can cast to pretty much every run there. I've fished much smaller streams w. brush and still made backcasts.

pcray,
you said you fished gillhouser... casts can be made their w. ease and it's a very tight stream.

pcray wrote:

Dries are easier, not harder, than subsurface. If they're agressive enough to rise, they'll hit anything, on top or underneath. But you can fish from further away, and around tighter cover, with dries.

What are your guys go to dry's when fishing for bookies .. top five?

pcray wrote:

On a good day on a brookie stream, I cover miles, and am quite literally sore and exhausted at the end.

Numbers, yeah, they're high. I don't do it for the fish. I do it for the places.

I'm going to have to hit the gym b4 I start doing this thing :)

Of all the photos I have seen on this site, some of the brookies are just stunning. There seems to be a beauty and adventures aspect to this.

troutbert wrote:

That's pretty embarrassing. And posted in the Beginner Forum. Bad guidance for beginning flyfishers, IMHO.

For anyone fairly new to flyfishing (or anyone who has done little or no freestone wild trout fishing), don't be influenced by that kind of talk.

Going out on the forested streams of PA and fishing for wild trout is terrific, some of the best that PA has to offer. Don't miss out on it!

From everything I have on line, Pa has, what many feel, some of the best wild trout fishing in the country.

Stagger - Anything that floats high and is easy for you see...that's the important part. No one style is better than any other really, but this usually means:

Wulffs
Humpys
Bigger Parachutes patterns, Adams is the most common probably.
Elk Hair Caddis
Stimulators

Color or specific pattern within the above doesn't really matter.

Swat .. so when dealing with brooks seems one doesn't have to worry about matching any hatch .. these lil guys are just hungry and aren't too particular b/ they are fished infrequently, right?

Back