Finally made the jump!

Additionally I don't really do that much swinging. But wouldn't mind adding another tool to the Arsenal

If you are set on nymphing with it, the purpose designed "switch" lines are probably a much better choice than any head system. With that said, if you are not into swinging flies, you are losing most of the utility of a two handed rod IMO.

The shorter and lighter switch rods do a better job of nymphing compared to longer and heavier two handed gear simply because they are closer to single handed gear in weight and proportions. Even at 10' 8", I find that my hook sets feel cumbersome and slow when nymphing with my switch rod. As for high sticking, I can't imagine anyone doing that with a 13ft two handed rod for any length of time. At least not as effectively as with a 10ft single handed rod. If you look at the long rods used by euro-style nymph fisherman the trend is toward lighter and lighter line weight rods. A lot of that has to do with the physical weight of the rod becoming unwieldy at lengths of 10ft+. There's probably going to be a bunch of people who tell you how great their two handed rods are for nymphing. That has not been my experience.

Covering bigger water with swinging presentations is where spey/swtich gear shines. Give it a try. It really is an effective way to fish big water and you can fish certain areas that are not really suited to nymphing.

PennKev wrote:
If you are set on nymphing with it, the purpose designed "switch" lines are probably a much better choice than any head system. With that said, if you are not into swinging flies, you are losing most of the utility of a two handed rod IMO.

The shorter and lighter switch rods do a better job of nymphing compared to longer and heavier two handed gear simply because they are closer to single handed gear in weight and proportions. Even at 10' 8", I find that my hook sets feel cumbersome and slow when nymphing with my switch rod. As for high sticking, I can't imagine anyone doing that with a 13ft two handed rod for any length of time. At least not as effectively as with a 10ft single handed rod. If you look at the long rods used by euro-style nymph fisherman the trend is toward lighter and lighter line weight rods. A lot of that has to do with the physical weight of the rod becoming unwieldy at lengths of 10ft+. There's probably going to be a bunch of people who tell you how great their two handed rods are for nymphing. That has not been my experience.

Covering bigger water with swinging presentations is where spey/swtich gear shines. Give it a try. It really is an effective way to fish big water and you can fish certain areas that are not really suited to nymphing.

^ Great info above for anyone looking to go to a spey or switch.

The only thing I have to add is either a full spey or switch can be a useful tool in the surf for 2H casting (not for jetties or boat fishing though).

PenKev has it.
13ft 8 wt is a serious swinging rod. I think it would be too cumbersome to do any type of nymphing.
I think 12 1/2 ft to 13 ft is perfect for Catt or Grand River.
That rod can boom out some big heavy flies.
I think you'd be OK with a Rio Chucker 8.
Better would be a 30lb Airflow Ridge running line looped to their compact skagit head at 530-540 grain. (550 gr. is pushing it with that rod)
Even better would be to call Steve Godshall (Speywerks) and have him weld one of his custom heads to his basic Elf 30lb running lines. Tell him that your new to the game and in need of his help. That's where I started way back lining a 10'8" Rainshadow.

Then get the Rio Mow tips in the T-11 size.
Add a 10 ft t-8 and T-15 tip and a wallet.

SPEY WORKS
2890 Farmington Ave.
Medford, OR. 97504
Phone: 541-840-2594 Fax: 541-774-8812
Email: stevegodshall@charter.net

Just to reiterate Kev's point.
Yeaterday I fished the Allegheny in Warren with my 11'9" 4wt switch.
Fish were cooperating fairly well while I swung streamers and soft hackles in the early morning. Around 10AM when the fish setteled, my brother was still banged some nice brown and bows while indy fishing a 10' 4wt single hander. Of course, I copied his set up but found that I couldn't get a good hook set as i missed 5 fish before finally landing one. There was too much deflection in that long tip keeping me from hitting a solid set.
Swinging is no problem because the fish practically hook themselves.

Thanks for the opinions. I do agree after getting the rod that it is too long. For pa tribs. And is going to take some getting used to!
Dano and Penn Kev all your advice is appriceated

Additionally. I have the Rio imow tips they are 10 ft. Would those suffice or are they too light?
Also what length and type leader. Is ideally used for swinging

flipnfly wrote:
Additionally. I have the Rio imow tips they are 10 ft. Would those suffice or are they too light?
Also what length and type leader. Is ideally used for swinging

It depends on which tips you have. If you have several of them in different weights and lengths you should be good. Fish with them to see what works and what you like for different conditions. Don't hesitate to purchase additional tips if you aren't quite happy with how the ones you have perform.

I'm not too familiar with the Rio iMOW tips but I'll go out on a limb and say that you will most likely use the intermediate and light weights in the 5ft and 7.5 ft lengths most of the time.

PennKev wrote:

How do you keep from scraping your rod tip against the shale cliffs on the other side of the creek?

:p

Barely. It's easier to snag other peoples' fish on stringers on the opposite shale bank with a long two hander than a single hander :-D

PennKev wrote:

Even at 10' 8", I find that my hook sets feel cumbersome and slow when nymphing with my switch rod. As for high sticking, I can't imagine anyone doing that with a 13ft two handed rod for any length of time. At least not as effectively as with a 10ft single handed rod.

dano wrote:
Just to reiterate Kev's point.
Yeaterday I fished the Allegheny in Warren with my 11'9" 4wt switch.
Fish were cooperating fairly well while I swung streamers and soft hackles in the early morning. Around 10AM when the fish setteled, my brother was still banged some nice brown and bows while indy fishing a 10' 4wt single hander. Of course, I copied his set up but found that I couldn't get a good hook set as i missed 5 fish before finally landing one. There was too much deflection in that long tip keeping me from hitting a solid set.
Swinging is no problem because the fish practically hook themselves.

That is definitely the biggest problem when nymphing with two handers. The major reason why I enjoy nymphing(with an indicator) with my switch rod is because of the length. Getting a good hookset is definitely tougher and it takes a while to get used to. I'm fine with that. I enjoy the extra length when nymphing bigger rivers, and heck, even some smaller water like Elk Creek. Not everyone likes it, but a decent amount of people do it throughout the region. I've never high stick nymphed with it and probably never will, but I have "high sticked" pretty heavy streamers with it before in deeper water relatively close to shore, but a little farther out than a typical single hander would be able to effectively reach. My switch rod is an 11ft 6wt

If your primary focus is nymphing......you may want to go with a single hand rod. If you want to swing big water, but also want to be able to indicator nymph......a switch rod is a great tool. If you have an all out spey rod.....stick to swinging.

So I think I'm going with the Rio Skagit flight head and running line now to find a reel I think I may go. Click Pawl like the battenkill. But I really like that reddington behemoth! Ohh the choices!

Opinions?

acristickid wrote:
Yea, I think he had to much coffee.
Or too little. Actually Spey rods and and switch rods are catching on for fishing big rivers. I plan on getting one. Many anglers go up a line size when fishing them, but they use lighter rods.

You're going to need a reel that holds a 10-12 weight line. 4 inch diameter reel and even larger if it's a LA type reel.
Also, those imow tips you have were designed to be used with skagit lines. They sink slightly to better anchor and load for your the roll cast.
A word of advice: Wear a hoody the first few months you take that rod on the water to fish.
I'd suggest a few lessons as you need to learn what not to do before learning what to do.
Stock up on Loon Wader Patch.

I still have yet to buy the line (I know what am I waiting for) and I have added a spool for my Lamson Konic 3.5(but that doesn't seem like it's going to work) . Back to shopping!

Back