Finally made the jump!

flipnfly

flipnfly

Ok i went out and bought a spey rod now I need suggestions for lines (I'm told a short Skagit really. Sings on the rod) and maybe a reel suggestion
Thanks in advance!

Spey rods and casting will never catch on, so just get something functional and inexpensive, because there will be no re-sale value.

Don't listen to that ole curmudgeon (Jack). Enjoy, ain't that what fishing's all about.

Yea, I think he had to much coffee.

Looks like it would be good on Yough or Catturagus. Never used a switch.

Casting with two hands limits your ability to have a beer or flask in the left hand, but to each his or her own.

I don't drink much anyhow. And I've always marched to the beat of my own drums I do have a one hander that I already cast like a 2 hander so.....

Now that you have a spey rod, it's time to buy your NY and OH licenses.

^add Michigan

What are your plans, and what are the specs of the rod, are you talking lake Erie tribs, Ontario? Michigan?

Jack that is why you get a hydration pack holds a whole bottle of scotch and a splash of water

My go-to rod on Elk is a switch ;-) Not sure how long yours is. I definitely wouldn't use an all out spey rod on Elk, but it will come in handy on places like the Allegheny, Yough, etc. And of course the bigger Erie tribs outside of PA.

And don't limit yourself to just swinging big streamers. These long rods are versatile tools and are beasts at indicator nymphing as well. I even high stick heavier streamers along the bottom at farther distances for smallmouths with my switch rod.

Scotch if you like, but no spirits in plastic except for emergencies.

what rod did you buy ? might help for suggestions on reel (click drag only) and line

I bought a Scott sas 13 ft rod. 8 wt

I'll use it. For nymphing. Swinging. And maybe try some longer distance attacks. I plan to use it strictly for steelhead wherever I Can really. Mainly Ohio and new York

13' is a bit long on the pa tribs. I use my 10.5' switch on the upper cat. and the Allegheny for swinging streamers. IMHO that is about all it it is good at.

Line choice can depend on a few things, such as the size of flies you plan on fishing, their weight, and how heavy will the sink tips you will be using. Polyleaders/versaleaders or T-material?

Skagit is a great way to get started with spey casting since the head is short and heavy and is great for big heavy flies and heavy sink tips.

Scandi line are a bit longer in head length and can cast moderate to large flies as well as handle various sinktips. Just not as heavy that the skagit can handle.

I started with a mid belly line which isn't great for big, heavy flies and heavy sink tips, but I don't fish alot of big stuff or heavily weighted flies and I prefer to use poly leaders. I chose to start with a midbelly line because if I can learn to cast a head that is 50-60ft long than scaling back to a skagit or scandi would be no trouble.

Airflo Delta spey is a great line to start out with if you choose to go the mid belly route.

streamerguy wrote:
My go-to rod on Elk is a switch ;-)

How do you keep from scraping your rod tip against the shale cliffs on the other side of the creek?

:p

CRB wrote:
13' is a bit long on the pa tribs. I use my 10.5' switch on the upper cat. and the Allegheny for swinging streamers. IMHO that is about all it it is good at.

My thoughts exactly. I have not been satisfied with switch rods as anything but light spey/swinging rigs. The two handed configuration, rod weight, and the lines needed to swing flies just don't "switch" to nymphing well.

I've used my 10' 8" 7wt switch rod for nymphing many times and never thought that it was better for that than the conventional 6, 7 and 8wts I own. Tried a bunch of different lines, even carried a conventional line spooled up to re-rig while on the water. Not for me. Would rather lug around a second rod.

Well I was just going to ask if you guys thought. A heavier switch line would benefit more. Like the Rio switch have chucker over a light spey or even the speydicator line from airflo. Also the rods I currently use are 10 footer single handers. So is. 3 feet really going to be that much different. Other than a further reach while high-sticking.

Back