Finally got one side of the nymph box finished

Mike.
I will be honest. Here is some suggestions, things I would change.
Like SBecker pointed, ribbing is way too big for those nymphs in second row. Tails made of Hare's mask and pheasant are too thick and too long.
Nymphs with beads are so so, but the ones without are out of proportions. Thread heads made with whip finisher are too big and too long. Thorax in some nymphs are too thick and wingcase is crooked.
One more thing. After you tie your tail, try to make butt section as slim as possible, then build your nymph body slightly like cigar shape.
Those nymphs you have may be working on stocked fish, but I doubt you are going to be able to fool wild ones.
Not trying to be wise ***. Just trying to help.

Mike they will catch fish . Just remember fish don't own rulers or micrometers and they can't count tails or measure abdomens as long as you have good clearance on the hook gap your golden. Presentation is key

Fredrick wrote:
Mike they will catch fish . Just remember fish don't own rulers or micrometers and they can't count tails or measure abdomens as long as you have good clearance on the hook gap your golden. Presentation is key

Love when you talk about measurement. Seems so appropriate coming from you that size does not matter. :)

Also, I agree with Fredrick in regards that they will catch fish. However, if you want to be a better tyer, you really need to work on your proportions. Not all fish are dumb and not all buyers will be unknowledgeable or new fly fishermen that do not know what a good tie looks like. If they were just for yourself I couldn't care less, but other people are purchasing these. Just some helpful advice.

SBecker wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Love when you talk about measurement. Seems so appropriate coming from you that size does not matter. :)

Touche Goliath

I agree about the tails being too long on the PT looking nymphs. At the very least, the end result is you are fishing a much bigger fly than what would typically be represented by a given hook size. Same effect with the overly dense tails on the other flies. Overall, you need to work on your proportions.

If you tied that many in 1 night, you need to tie professionally. I do 4-5 in an hour and I'm giving myself hi 5's.

If you like long tails, and the fish you catch do too, rock on. There are text book proportions tiers have been using for the last 75-100 yrs that most people follow, but too each is own. What do I know, I'm not a fish.

Long tail fibers are ok as long as they are real supple. The extra movement of extra supple tail fibers seems to make up for them being too long within reason.

Thanks for the constructive input. I typically do not tie the flies for customers as i do my own. I take more time on theirs and follow propotions more. These are more my own personal preferences as I said.

Most of my stuff I would not sell to a guy to be honest. In my experience it is not that crucial, but then again I am not fishing areas with an abundant amount of wild trout. I will tie some up taking the advice of you guys and do a comparison and see if it makes that much of a difference.

I do sometimes wish I had not mentioned that i do get income from tying flies, might not face as much BS on here ;)

I did have a guy slam them on the green vinyl rib hares ear and order 30 more, but this again was not an area with a large amount of wild trout.

Thanks again for constructive criticism

Remember I have seen flies that you have tied and sold personally. They look just like the ones you posted. I quickly picked out all of your ties compared to ones that were purchased else ware. They were confirmed by the buyer.

I am not trying to be a jerk to you. Just do not say you tie better for your customers, because it is not true. You are 100% right about not mentioning that you sell your flies. There are professional tiers and guides out there that tie amazing looking flies for the same price as you. They just do not promote themselves on forums to make a buck. All through word of mouth. I will toot a horn for one of them. Mike Heck

mike_richardson wrote:
Most of my stuff I would not sell to a guy to be honest. In my experience it is not that crucial, but then again I am not fishing areas with an abundant amount of wild trout. I will tie some up taking the advice of you guys and do a comparison and see if it makes that much of a difference.

Mike, That is not really the point. If you tie to different standard for yourself vs. your customers you will limit your own development as a tyer and risk developing bad habbits that will creep into your professional work. There is a school of thought that says the fish should be your ultimate critic. Many guys that tie for themselves belive this and do just fine with their flys, but I've never met one that would be comfortable selling those flys regradless of how well thay work. On the other hand, just about every pro tyer I have met belives that they must be their own worst critic. This belief is very deeply held, and they will cut ANY mistakes off the hook not because it won't catch fish, but because trying again gives them the opportunity to improve. Dropping a mistake into your fly box is passing up an opportunity to become a better tyer.
If you ever want to chat about this, or get togethet to tie/fish shoot me a PM.
Mike.

Wondering if those that said they would not use a nymph that does not follow traditional proportions, have ever tried a nymph with a longer tail, or if this is just done from what you have read out of a book or magazine some where. I have used both and tied flies both following standard proportions and the longer tails and thicker bodies, like those on the hares ear. From my own personal testing, these work better for me.

Mike, of course most of us have used flies that we tied that were not proportionally right. It is part of the learning curve when we are becoming better tyers. We do not sell them to people though. Yes...they will catch fish. However, you are testing them on stocked pellet heads. I would say the body proportions are your bigger problem and not the tails as much.

In regards to the repeat satisfied customers.....that is fine and dandy, but the point is to grow a business. Not keep selling to the ones that are not knowledgeable about tying and what nymphs are supposed to look like.

Edit: Now why did you go and delete your whole comment? I was trying to have a nice conversation with you.

Becker. I sent you a pm as I would rather converse about this through pm.

You are making valid points with you response and did not want to delete all of the comment but I hit cut instead of copy. .

Every year I tie up some new flies and I always hate the ones I did the previous year.

You learn with time and practice and you never stop learning.

Let you in on one little secret...it's not all ablout catching fish....
Here's something to try...tie 2 dozen flies..all the same pattern & size. If one looks a little different, or they ALL don't look the same..you still have a ways to go. They ALL should look like copies of each other.

I typically do not tie the flies for customers as i do my own. I take more time on theirs and follow propotions more. These are more my own personal preferences as I said.

why do you have separate rules for customers and yourself?

wouldnt it be adventageous for you and your customers to have the same rules and tie better flies?

Back