Final Jamboree Thoughts

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Starting a new thread to make a few announcements before I head out Thursday morning for Gaines. For those going to the PAFlyfish Jamboree keep these thoughts in mind.

1. Some of us will be bringing bicycles to bike into the Canyon one day during the weekend. Bring one if you have one...

2. Saturday evening (after dark) at the campground pavillion we will have the official campfire/gear swap. Bring your beverages of choice, swap items, barter, etc.

3. Bob from the Big Meadows Fly Shop on Route 6 is offering a FREE furled leader with a purchace of a greater valued item from his shop during the weekend. Just mention you are attending the PAflyfish.com Jamboree.

4. I am hoping to find a local to give a short talk to us flatlanders on Saturday evening at the campground pavillion. These talks always draw great appreciation from the Jamboree attendees.

5. Morning Coffee (Saturday and Sunday) will be at JackM's camper trailer. There will be a sign on the side of it and probably a few bleary-eyed flyfishermen standing around.

well, I have to get some chores done before I git tomorrow morning.

If anyone has questions or something to add....feel free to do so.

PM me if you would like to give a little insight to the local fishing on Saturday evening.

Maurice

Maurice. There will be a campfire Friday night also, won't there?

There will be if I have anything to say about it.

Jay, you are in charge of starter fluid-- saves a bunch of time. It is really sad watching Maurice struggle rubbing two sticks together. Add to that the possibility that the kindling will be a bit damp, and we'll be glad someone brought it.

Hell, I just shoot rifle blanks at the dry ground ala Survivorman.

But if you insist on using starter fluid, then I guess I'll have to grab some. :)

Just an idea. If you guys get bored trout fishing, you might take a break and try for panfish and bass at Beechwood Lake, near Sabinsville, about 7 miles north of Gaines. You can see it on your Delorme Atlas.

Throw a GAINES POPPER out there and see if you have any luck.

Also the Lumber Museum is pretty cool. Head west on Route 6.

I doubt I'll get bored, and I'm not a lumber enthusiast, but I'll file the lake suggestion under "What To Do If All The Creeks Are Over Their Banks." Thanks for the tip.

they stock that lake also.

Maurices says "If it ain't flowin', I ain't goin'."

But if the creeks are unfishable, which is doubtfull because of the smaller freestone tribs, I follow the mantra "If I can still fish for 'gill, I will."

If I can still drink, I'll go... I think.

Lumber Museum.

JackM (and any others),

Don't sell the Lumber Museum "short". It covers much more than felling trees and cutting them up. Probably close to half of it is devoted to the Civilian Conservation Corps - it's founding, organization and activities. If it had not existed, this state would probably have little or none of the tremendous system of State Parks, State Forests and State Game Lands that we enjoy today.

Cheers,

Jack Steel

I just realized something.

Since my flies got stolen, I've only tied stuff as I needed it. Therefore my entire caddis collection consists of ultra tiny cdc guys for the tully.

Any recommendations on sizes and colors so I can hammer out a few quick EHC? I'm hoping not to need them, but I was a boy scout for a few years....

When in doubt, you can't go wrong tying up as many 14-18 elk hairs as you can get done. Half light colored and half dark is the easiest way to go.

That was the plan... I was just concerned if there were any odd little special size 16 greens or something. Oh well. Looks like its going to be a dozen or so tan/gingers and brown/grizzlies. Can't go wrong with that, i'd think.

Well, I am out the door and on the road...see you guys up there.

"we have a full tank of gas and a half a pack of cigarettes....We're on a mission"

Maurice

Little note of concern.
I reserved a trailer in light of what may shape up to be typical jam weather. Well the lady at the campground did not seem to know anything about no jam. I called Kenshire Kampground.....thats the right place right???

Well if it's the wrong place, I'll be there with ya, man!

Boyer

I'm sure your campout will bring much needed rain to the region, and for that I thank you. :)

That is the right place and if you talked to Sylvia and she didn't know about it, I share your concern as well. I just talked to her yesterday to confirm my camper reservation and she seemed to be aware then. :-o

We know who to hold responsible if there are any major problems-- the man in the 10-gallon hat. :p

Yeah, I think theres a problem with the parents. I made my campsite with the parents at least a month ago and then called back last week and I had no spot. There were some sites left but my driver wished we had a motel anyway so I told them not to reschedule and got a room at some place called Knob Hill. We'll still swing by the site to meet some folks and and hopefully enjoy the cool mountain evenings.

Back