FFP Online Catalog

After being in the Bar business for 25 years, I learned you can't please everyone all the time, everyone has bad days, when you deal with the public you have to put on that smile try to be nice.

Like I said in my other post, Steve has always been helpful and nice to me. Can't say that for some of his employees, they no longer work there.

PaulG

Flyfisher's Paradise is by far my favorite fly shop. I've known those guys for a long time. For me, it's not visiting a shop when I go in there - it's visiting old friends. I can't seem to spend less than an hour in that shop!

If tying flies for PA trout fishing is what you like to do, Steve Sywensky is the most knowledgeable shop owner in the state - period.

Sandfly is the only guy that is in the same league as Steve, IMO. They're both masters of the production, preparation, and use of natural tying materials.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
If tying flies for PA trout fishing is what you like to do, Steve Sywensky is the most knowledgeable shop owner in the state - period.

Agree completely.
I will always be grateful to Steve for the way he treated me when I lived up there. I had little money to spend but Steve (and Dan) always took the time to help me out and always had time to discuss fishing. I even tied for FFP for awhile. I wasn't one of their best tiers and Steve was considerably more patient with me than he should have been.
Great place.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Sandfly is the only guy that is in the same league as Steve, IMO. They're both masters of the production, preparation, and use of natural tying materials.

How is this? Does he have knowledge of diiferent parts of the states flies and the way the hatches are? I'm interested in this considering the flies on the site are as much as they are, they better represent the exact fly they state to be IMO.

Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

How is this? Does he have knowledge of diiferent parts of the states flies and the way the hatches are? I'm interested in this considering the flies on the site are as much as they are, they better represent the exact fly they state to be IMO.

Steve has been tying flies for a long, long time. He moved to State College from the Allentown area in the 70's. He's fished a majority of the best streams in PA, that you can be assured. Poke around on FFP's website - you'll be amazed what's in there.

Flyfisher's Paradise is/was the home fly shop of George Harvey and Joe Humphreys. Their influence on the shop and the flies available for sale there is obvious. Guys like George Daniel, and Loren Williams picked up a lot of their knowledge in that shop.

My turn. Name one fly shop owner in PA with more experience tying trout flies than Mr. Sywensky.

Back