FFing is dying

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Article about FFing through the eyes of a millennial from Maine >

By Gregory LaBonte, Special to the BDN • November 18, 2018

I’m 27, and was born and raised in Maine. I have been fishing my entire life and fly fishing for a decade. Once I picked up a fly rod, I instantly was tantalized by the difficulty required to do something so simple: catch fish. I became obsessed, tying my own flies, making my own rods and climbing the furthest reaches of headwater streams to find native trout.

Now, contemplating becoming a guide, starting my own fly shop or joining an existing company, I find myself wondering, where are my friends? Where are my peers?

I bring the occasional friend to fish and might know one or two people on whom I can rely to regularly come along, but most are not obsessed. They are not kept up at night. They do not dream of the next dry fly sip or fear missing giants of the deep. Why?

As I study the past and talk to elder fisherman, it appears a good number of people were obsessed with fly fishing. Were fishing opportunities more prevalent? Have we become lazy as a generation and don’t want to master a difficult task? Was there a deeper connection to the outdoors? Has technology created a divide between us and nature? How does something, seemingly so popular, disappear?

Whatever the cause, I see a decrease in extreme interest in fly fishing in Maine for the younger generations.

To find great trout fishing in 1960, you didn’t have to travel far, regardless of where you lived. In 2018, to find great trout waters, you may need to travel several hours, particularly if you live in southern Maine. There are, however, supplemental opportunities throughout the year — just follow the stocking truck. Stocking opportunities aren’t as glorious as major trout streams of the North, but they are unique and locally present. There are opportunities close to home, regardless of location, so that can’t be the reason.

Could it be that my generation is just lazy? Most of my elders would say so, but I know I am not lazy. I see my friends working extremely hard to pay off student loans, start families and pay ridiculous amounts for a small piece of property. There is just no way laziness is the reason fly fishing is fading in popularity with the youth.

A deeper connection to nature has inexplicably escaped my generation. A large contributor to the breakup between people born after 1990 and the woods is technological advancements. I have an iPhone, I’m writing this on my Mac laptop and have all the technological pieces that a person my age would likely have. But I can disconnect and do on almost a daily basis from technology and find tranquility in water and on land.

As Izaak Walton knew in the 1800s, “God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.”

I believe my generation perceives fly fishing as a means to catching fish. It is anything but that. The misperception of fly fishing may be driven by the endless Instagram, Facebook and Twitter posts of people glorifying their “once in a lifetime” catches. What about the journey? If my generation continues to misperceive the essence of fly fishing, I fear the popularity of fly fishing will be forever lost.

How can this divide be bridged? Growing up, I was helped at almost every stage of life, or so it felt. The level of aid received at every step for kids today is twofold compared to my childhood. However, I had no fly fishing instruction, no adviser telling me what to do or how to do it.

As Ted Leeson says, “There are a lot of advantages to being self-taught. Quality of instruction is not one of them.”

Learning through experience is unique and can’t be replicated. In order to restore the interest within the art of fly fishing, it is up to my generation to introduce and allow future generations to learn on their own. Half of the fun of fly fishing is observing, failing, adjusting and succeeding. If you remove failure, how will anyone become hooked?

Gregory LaBonte teaches and coordinates biology labs at the University of New England.

Link to source >https://bangordailynews.com/2018/11/18/opinion/contributors/fly-fishing-is-a-dying-art-in-maine/

Thanks for posting this. Even as one who is "obsessed", I find myself challenged to make the time to unplug and seek out a quiet place on the stream.

I would not say dying. More accurate to say it is contracting like every other outdoor pursuit and the reasons are many. Fewer young people, people more inclined to sedentary activities, cultural indifference, etc...

Even the NFL is beginning to contract.

I have three kids. One likes to come out with me, not only for fishing also for hiking, gardening etc., but the other two prefer sitting on the sofa and play with their electronics.

This technology age has brought with it many more ways for people to entertain themselves. There is not necessarily a complete disconnect with nature, or fly fishing, in the younger generation, there is just so many more choices now that ever before. The connection with the natural world is still deeply ingrained in our souls and we all still need to feed that primal desire, but with so many distractions, choices and options for this generation it is becoming tougher to manage. The simpler times of yesterday allowed the older generations, including myself, more time to concentrate on one thing and ultimately enjoy it for a lifetime. Fly fishing is just one example of this as the author states.

This generation is a product of information overload. Too many choices. Too much information. It is a very confusing time. We are entertained and comfortable in our own homes these days and do not need to leave to seek entertainment or even feed ourselves. Everything can be brought to us. Sometimes we need to realize that more choices can be a good thing, but too much of a good thing is detrimental to our health and well being in the long run.

Fly Fishing is not dying. The choice to do other things is just overwhelming. It is a period of adjustment.

Yes it's the electronic age taking up more free time but not always. It's also the work day successful people endure. Both my children make gobs of money but they are working 10 to 12 hour days as they climb the latter and electronics is what keeps them from working 16 hour days.

First, fly fishing is not difficult yet most fly fishermen speak of it as if it were the most difficult thing in the world to do. Casting is not difficult, matching the hatch is not difficult, a drag free drift is not difficult and catching fish is not difficult. This is what I like to preach to get more people interested in fly fishing. Couple the myth that FF is difficult with the myth that it's expensive and it's clear to see why few get involved in FF. Then throw in the "I demand my personal two mile stretch of stream" or I'll burn a hole in you with my eyes attitude to really make FF attractive to new anglers.

I like to keep simple things simple. Im pretty sure others would argue that my casting and fly tying suck, that my gear is cheap, and I can't fish. Despite this I somehow manage to have fun doing it and I catch a few fish to boot. That's how I like to project FF because that's how it really is.

There are two extremes in fly fishing. The self-promote-at-all-cost Instagram stars.

And this guy.

Both suck.

Fly fishing for snakeheads is going to save fly fishing Poopdeck :lol:

poopdeck wrote:
Yes it's the electronic age taking up more free time but not always. It's also the work day successful people endure. Both my children make gobs of money but they are working 10 to 12 hour days as they climb the latter and electronics is what keeps them from working 16 hour days.

First, fly fishing is not difficult yet most fly fishermen speak of it as if it were the most difficult thing in the world to do. Casting is not difficult, matching the hatch is not difficult, a drag free drift is not difficult and catching fish is not difficult. This is what I like to preach to get more people interested in fly fishing. Couple the myth that FF is difficult with the myth that it's expensive and it's clear to see why few get involved in FF. Then throw in the "I demand my personal two mile stretch of stream" or I'll burn a hole in you with my eyes attitude to really make FF attractive to new anglers.

I like to keep simple things simple. Im pretty sure others would argue that my casting and fly tying suck, that my gear is cheap, and I can't fish. Despite this I somehow manage to have fun doing it and I catch a few fish to boot. That's how I like to project FF because that's how it really is.

Relax.

link

Hollywood to the rescue. :lol:

Funny thing is where I live (NJ) and travel to fish (Catskills) there are many more fly fishers now than 20 years ago.

I'm far more concerned about the future of fishing in general than I am about the future of fly fishing in particular and this more general erosion in participation is where I think the focus should be.

Maybe Bangor is just a small town & the author doesn't know very many people?

poopdeck wrote:

Given the age of the person who wrote article, the answer to "where are my peers" is that they're too busy starting families and careers to spend much time fishing. This has always been the case, although I'm sure that the electronic age doesn't help.

Fly fishing requires a certainly amount of leisure time to pursue avidly for pleasure. I recently re-read the fly fishing part of the Compleat Angler. Charles Cotton made the observation (back in 1675) that if you have the leisure to pursue the sport, you can certainly afford to hire someone to work the net for you. (Which answered something I've long wondered about, which is how do you manage to net a fish with an 18' fixed line rod?)

redeitz: "...how do you manage to net a fish with an 18' fixed line rod?"

It helps when the fish are so small you can lift them out of the water by said 8' fixed line rod. ;-)

I fall in the category of people that the author is talking about - almost 27 year old working male. I don't see many others my age out there fly fishing - the ones that do are really only my close friends from high school and college that I still regularly plan trips with.

Agree with much of what poopdeck has said regarding working for people my age - I work 10 -11 hour days Mon-Fri leaving me with only the weekends fish. My old job had me working 12 hour days with plenty of time spent working over weekends, and had to give up time to answer "important" emails or calls as well. That was hell and I would never do something like that again. It's hard to stay unplugged in this day and age as well - my phone and laptop are almost always on me.

I just moved into Philadelphia. I was able to get out just once to fish in the two months. I moved to the city for certain reasons - more to do, more people my age, more girls (I have a girlfriend in the city), etc. I'm not a city person by any means and was highly skeptical about making the move from the suburbs to the city - but its growing on me. I thought it's either I make the move to the city now before I'm 30 and get a little taste of the busy city life - or I'm likely never going to do it if I don't do it at 26 while I can still sort of juggle everything going on. People my age are either working their asses off at a day job, moved into the city with other priorities on hand, and many are furthering their education as I likely will as well in the next year or so. The same has happened to my other fly fishing buddies who went back to school / work full time - there is minimal time left to fish at the end of it all. Many are getting engaged and starting families as well. If I would have stayed in the suburbs I would easily be fishing more - but would be around less people my age with things to do for people my age farther away (ie., going into the city) and I don't want to go to college bars here in the suburbs. It just depends on where your priorities lie. I tie flies almost every night after work with the hopes of being able to escape one day out of the weekend to put them to use - which is always up in the air as people my age can't seem to plan things out ahead of time so my weekend plans are always changing.

I enjoy fly fishing as it constantly challenges me - it's much less about catching fish but rather about being outdoors and enjoying some fresh air, nature and new scenery - a strong opposite to my hectic everyday work life.

The work life balance of most people today is utterly screwed up - parents don't have the time to take their kids outdoors or even fishing let alone fly fishing for that matter. Most hand their kids an iPad and tell them to entertain themselves. Thankfully my parents constantly encouraged me as a kid to get outside and "get the stink off yourself."

Fly-Swatter wrote:
redeitz: "...how do you manage to net a fish with an 18' fixed line rod?"

It helps when the fish are so small you can lift them out of the water by said 8' fixed line rod. ;-)

Except they weren't. He was talking about salmon and sea trout as well as trout. And he was using a line half again as long as his rod, which makes it impossible to lift a even a small fish out of the water., not to mention that his line tapered down to two horse hairs (three for salmon) at the point. He, after all, originate the phrase "far and fine."

And back to the original topic, I know I fished less at 27 than at 15 or 50. Not for lack of interest, but lack of time.

Maybe less fly fishermen, but the spinning crowd doesn't seem to be dwindling,imo.
Virtual Reality Fly fishing, a new wave of the future. I.m pqued at myself as I fish less now than before I retired. It's my own fault. Well, sort of. Enough said.
GG

I can't 'splain it, nor do I particularly care but...

...I've seen something happen at least four times in the past 5 years that I never saw before in my lifetime:

A golf course/country club close.

If golf isn't safe from disinterest and falling popularity, nothing is.

Maybe we just don't need anymore kids who have barely been fly fishing for a decade becoming pro-staff guides...

Back