FEW Lehigh River no flow

There is only one flow gate for the dam. What would happen if the gate failed and it was unable to reopen?

There is actually 2. The main gate at the bottom, and by pass gates which can be used when the lake level is at + 1360 The issue is those bypass gates can only allow 250 CFS through. They use them when the lake is full and top water temps cool enough to save as much of the cold water at the bottom as possible. This is not nearly as effective as say a multi level release tower that they have on Beltzville.

This is a known risk with FEW. (failing of the main gates) Part of the reason they do annual tunnel inspections I believe. With all that said, there is an ongoing intuitive to get a new release tower built which would have the ability to release as much as they want from different levels. Not only would we have a true tail water, but you also get full redundancy with release gates. Hopefully soon (by end of year) there might be significant news on that front.

After reading this thread, there is a lot people don't know or understand about how the FEW Dam works or the Lehigh itself. If anyone/group/organization would like to become familiar with what is going on, I or someone from the LCFA would be glad to come and discuss or do a Q&A.

LehighRegular wrote:
After reading this thread, there is a lot people don't know or understand about how the FEW Dam works or the Lehigh itself. If anyone/group/organization would like to become familiar with what is going on, I or someone from the LCFA would be glad to come and discuss or do a Q&A.

^ LOL....this a great forum for Q&A. There are thousands of members watching and reading rather than a few dozen that must drive to some meeting.

My question is can you expand on what is happening with your statement: ..."there is an ongoing intuitive to get a new release tower built which would have the ability to release as much as they want from different levels. Not only would we have a true tail water, but you also get full redundancy with release gates. Hopefully soon (by end of year) there might be significant news on that front."

That would be a giant leap forward if water can be mixed, saving the cold water pool for high temp times.

Also, my bringing up the point about only one outlet for the dam would be an even bigger reason for the ACOE to consider a multiple release ability....safety!

Further, I recall the second smaller upper release portal being inoperable for a time.

TB,

The further you move downriver, the less dramatic the impact of the gate closing. Same day....same river

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2
Afish - I'm fine with doing a Q&A on here. I agree, this is a good forum for it.

Q: My question is can you expand on what is happening with your statement: ..."there is an ongoing intuitive to get a new release tower built which would have the ability to release as much as they want from different levels. Not only would we have a true tail water, but you also get full redundancy with release gates. Hopefully soon (by end of year) there might be significant news on that front."

A: The LCFA has been working with the ACOE to perform a feasibility study that will look at a wide variety of topics for FEW, which include a new tower construction with selective withdrawal tower, increasing the lake pool elevation, flood control impacts, economic benefits, re-authorization of FEW (currently only flood control & recreation - may need "water quality" authorization too) and the feasibility to make it all happen, etc.

Currently the Corps needs federal authorization and funding. We are working with Congressman Dent's office to get this into the Corps budget for 2018/19. The second part is there needs to be a "non federal sponsor" to come up with 50% of the money for this feasibility study (total cost of the study is ~ $3M). This has been more difficult part right now, but we are exploring many different options and possible sponsors.

Q: Also, my bringing up the point about only one outlet for the dam would be an even bigger reason for the ACOE to consider a multiple release ability....safety!

Further, I recall the second smaller upper release portal being inoperable for a time.

A: The discharge tower at FEW is equipped with gates at two different elevations. The BIG flood control gates are on the bottom. The flood control gates can dump 10,000 cfs of water when wide open. Approximately 50 ft above the flood control gates there are 2 bypass gates. These gates can only release 250-300 cfs maximum. There is only 0.5 billion gallons of water between the flood control and bypass gates.

I have never fished the Lehigh and know zero about the releases. My comment was about the tailwaters in general. To say that the releases on the savage or north branch of the potomac are with any fish or fishing in mind is laughable. I would love to hear some explanation from the corp on that one, as would the local fly shop owners I've spoken to. The gunpowder is another one but I get that, it is Baltimore's drinking water and nothing else matters.

Ryan,

The only response I would have is that the Corps is great at building stuff, but they sure as hell can't manage sh1t, especially for fish or fishing interests. But that's not their priority and typically they operate under constraints many are not aware of. And its hard for them because of the variability needed for managing for trout. It just not in their DNA.

However, in the case of the Lehigh, they have been very open to input on how to better manage releases for fisheries interests. It has been greatly improved in the last 5-10 years then what it use to be. As such, the river and trout have responded favorably.

It is a shame the financial boom the entire area could realize from what could be two world class fisheries within a couple of hours with so many other stream options close by.

Lehigh,
It's interesting you say that. From talking to folks who make a living on the savage and north branch they have gotten zero response from the corps. On a number of occasions they have voiced their frustration to me. I'm getting that information second hand as I have never tried myself. As someone who monitors the inflow, outlow, temps and weather I can tell you their predicted flows are often ridiculously inaccurate. I've come to the conclusion that you are spot on about the corps management skills but it sounds like their is hope. Any advice you have about contacting the right folks or best way to get information?

Ryan,

What we did is get our State Fisheries Agency (PFBC) on board with the improvements we were seeking. Then it was a series of meetings with the Corps to understand the limitations and constraints they operate under. It was really a matter of pulling all the players together and sitting down at the table and having an open and honest discussion. Things have just snowballed from there. Our biggest hurdle was getting the PFBC on board, but talking with the commissioners helped in that area. Things are run differently in the MD Fisheries division, so getting to the right person may be the key. It takes time and persistence. Nothing happens fast with government even though this stuff isn't rocket science.

I can't figure this one out:

For the past several days the Tully was at 125+- cfs. We got less than 1/10" rain, and now it's at 373 cfs with no rain forcasted for the next 5 days. Reason?

Probably has to due with winter time lake levels. Most lakes get lowered for the winter.

Zak,

You are probably right. Forgot about that.

Back