FEW Lehigh dam capacity question for those who may know

B

BeastBrown

So the Army Corps position is that we will not let pool height exceed 1370 right? If they held more water back, then there would be more water for fishing AND rafting, and there wouldn't be as many fights over the white water surges. So, what does it take to get storage higher? Can the dam structurally take more storage? Is it at a federal/state law capacity limit? 26 miles of public water in a state park, before you even hit further south. What a renewable resource.

LehighRegular and his organization, The Lehigh Coldawater Fishery Alliance have been advocating for years to increase storage capability and have multiple discharge outflows to save the coldest water for the summer.

This is not something that will happen overnight, and is something I feel most of us will not see in our lifetime,

Actually, the dam has the capability for far more water storage, and also different release levels from the dam.

Increasing the level behind the dam could greatly increase the cold water storage, and allow controlled cold water releases when needed most.

Convincing the A.C.E. to do this is the problem - they are all about flood control and white water releases, with fishing friendly releases being the lowest priority.

The LCFA, LRSA, and others are working hard to change this mindset, and there's already been an improvement. It can surely get better, and the more the A.C.E. hears from concerned fishermen, the better.

Yeah, I know that fisherman and rafting companies and ACE have been at each other for quite some time. I am wondering if anyone knows where a structural engineering report is for the capacity limit of pool height 1370. I am just wondering how much water that dam can safely store. I mean, it looks like an enormous structure, but I have no idea what an earthen, boulder monstrosity like that can safely hold back.

I think the Corps gets paid for some level of water retention right? Anyway, I am primarily concerned with where the 1370 number comes from. It just seems to me that if that number goes up higher, then rafters and fisherman will be working with a concerted effort for more storage as opposed to who gets the water and when it comes out.

This fisheries friendly flow in May and April does not seem like a large concession to me by the rafting companies. Who is going to run customers down that river when the water is 40 degrees. I am sure some kayakers would run it with wet/dry suits, but the bulk of business comes from the weekend family excursion.

Well, I just found a map that is HIGHLY interesting> http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Portals/39/docs/Civil/Walter/JPG%20high%20resolution%20-%205%20MB.jpg

On this map there are projected boundaries that go up to 1392, and it takes surface acreage to 744 from 504 at 1370 pool elevation and it even includes a potential new boat launch area.

Does anyone know where that public comment page is that is filled with tons of white water comments and like 5 fishing comments , I want to write a comment for whatever it is worth.

BeastBrown. Lots of good stuff you are asking. I can answer some of it.

Pie in the sky - the lake level would be held at 1,392' or even 1,400' and the tower modified to a selective withdrawal. This would provide cool water all the way down to Glen Onoko.

vcregular wrote:

Now, where did the 1370' come from you ask? In the FEW Operating Manual there is a stipulation of a 15% seasonal encroachment into the flood storage zone for recreational activities. So that is where we are. However, in drought storage operation, the DRBc can request the Corps go to 1,392' for low flow augmentation. So they do feel comfortable holding the lake above the 15% threshold.

Ah, I see, I think I remember hearing this before. Now, that 15% encroachment is for downstream recreational activity, or in the dam, or both. I recall hearing now that there was a hesitation as well to hold water back because of the FEW dam warm water species opportunities with boat and shore access, and perhaps even flooding spawning grounds.

I remember seeing that dam backed up like a lake all the way to small bridge that crosses bear creek up high on the road that turns right at bear creek lake where the spill dam is. I was younger then and didn't know to look to see what the pool height was at that time, but it looked enormous.

I have seen 25" fish pictures in the fall ABOVE White Haven. It is generally hotter there, than say, below Mud and Hickory, due to canopy and springs, but some of these are 100% wild fish that are making it multiple years. Now, after last years drought/heat wave, I have not been down in the Gorge that much. I can say that the wild browns are still surviving in decent numbers, BUT I have not caught a brown over 20" yet this year.

On average, the Lehigh trout do have trouble cracking 20" , in my opinion, because they go into survival mode more quickly in hot water and start to emaciate for the two hot months.

Perhaps most interesting, to me, at least, are the rainbows that are expert nymphers with micro sized caddis. I have seen them cough up tremendous amounts of caddis when landing them. I have caught them on all manner of flies, but they seem to love to scrape those giant boulders for small caddis.

Anything you hear about protecting the warm water species spawn in the lake is a guise for maintaining the limited coldwater pool. If you don't fluctuate the water in the spring ( and how convenient that you protect the nests of the warmwaters at the same time) you can sustain the coldwater that much longer.

2006 late June, Early July was the highest the impoundment has ever been. FEW went to 85% of capacity. 22K coming into the reservoir at the peak, and 200cfs being released for the entire duration of the event! Off the top of my head I think it went to about 1,441'? 8' below uncontrolled spill. But still 15% of storage left. Blue Marsh went to uncontrolled spill mode.

Sounds to me like how the water outflow is managed on the Yough. I still think the rafting industry holds far more sway in water releases for their needs more so than producing a better fishery. At ruffly 38 bucks a head floating down river, who can blame them (USACE & the outfitters).

vcregular wrote:
Anything you hear about protecting the warm water species spawn in the lake is a guise for maintaining the limited coldwater pool. If you don't fluctuate the water in the spring ( and how convenient that you protect the nests of the warmwaters at the same time) you can sustain the coldwater that much longer.

2006 late June, Early July was the highest the impoundment has ever been. FEW went to 85% of capacity. 22K coming into the reservoir at the peak, and 200cfs being released for the entire duration of the event! Off the top of my head I think it went to about 1,441'? 8' below uncontrolled spill. But still 15% of storage left. Blue Marsh went to uncontrolled spill mode.

Yeah, I think that might be when I saw it, right after that event, it was quite an enormous mass of water, lol, you could have taken a power boat right to that first bridge that crosses White Haven Road I think it is by Bear Creek Lake.

I am looking to fish the Lehigh for the fisrt time this Thursday afternoon/evening. Can someone suggest a good section for wading ? Will I need to worry about water temps ?

I will post a report over the weekend.

Wharfrat... The lower river (below Jim Thorpe) will likely warm up this week. The Lehigh Gorge area or directly below the FEW Dam (tailwater - dam to Sandy Run) should remain cool enough.

The water temps coming out of FEW right now are around 63-64F.

ACE, manages the FEW for flood control sothey only let the dam get to 1370 before dumping water to preserve capacity. After that there really isn't any provision for fishing management even though they wrecked a good brook trout fishery to build the dam.
ACE does manage for rafting and kayaking, and there's very limited good fishing in the summer because allthe cold water is released by summer's high temperatures.
Could it be better managed? YES, absolutely, but ACE won't do unless they are bombarded by letters asking for a change in management, or the PFBC asks as much. It's our water not theirs. we have the power to write letters, let's do it!

They had excess water coming in the reservoir for the past 2 weeks, at one point the outflow was at 3000cfs, they kept releasing high flow levels until things were almost back to normal (meaning inflow equals outflow with storage at 1370) and then they released 750cfs for the white water release this weekend, dropping it way down to 250cfs at 1pm. This is the beginning of the warmest part of the day while we are currently have the warmest weather so far this year.

This created dramatic water temperature spikes, not very good water management if you ask me. They had excess water fully knowing there was going to be a white water release and no major precipitation in the forecast. Now the reservoir level is below normal pool and they are holding back water.

Absolutely no regard for the trout, shameless.

Do you guys see any river otters on the Lehigh? I haven't, but I believe someone was studying them there, or trying to find evidence of them in the area for a dna database.

HD. The corps is very regimented. Anything above 1370 is encroachment into flood control. Any water above that major number is evacuated as quickly as possible.

However I completely agree with you. Until there are some operational changes implemented in addition to what was previously stated will the trout be considered.

Beast. I have never seen a river otter. I saw a beaver a few years ago but have not seen one since.

By they way. Chaz is 100% correct. However we need to convince some of the players within the Pfbc too. Tell them you want a better fishery and cold water all summer long. Right now those disbelievers don't think the anglers care about this trout fishery enough to pursue the changes that will be scientifically documented in the Coldwater Study.

BeastBrown wrote:
Do you guys see any river otters on the Lehigh? I haven't, but I believe someone was studying them there, or trying to find evidence of them in the area for a dna database.

Oddly enough I just saw one in the river in Allentown near Adam's Island.

Back