Felt Sole Boots

tomgamber wrote:
I think and they are finally starting to wear.

Keep an eye on them. You've heard my story, but just to summarize it again... they go from "starting to wear" to "floating down the stream in 5 pieces" in less than a day.

They are still a great value, though.

Disposable like waders I guess. That reminds me I have to fix mine. I have a small hole right next to my knee from sliding down a bank last week at Laurel Hill.

Read my post in gear talk to get the rest of the story but i don't think snapping turtles,blue herons and especially ospreys will stand for being boiled or washed in detergent.......they will get my felt soles when they pry them from my cold dead foot.

I am curious how the felt soled boots hold up when you do a LOT of rough walking when fishing wild mountain streams? I know they offer superior traction, but would I just be better off just using my regular soled hip boots for better wear? I've never owned a pair of felts.

wildtrout2 wrote:
I am curious how the felt soled boots hold up when you do a LOT of rough walking when fishing wild mountain streams? I know they offer superior traction, but would I just be better off just using my regular soled hip boots for better wear? I've never owned a pair of felts.

I was concerned about how they'd wear for hiking too, but I've never had a problem. I bought a cheap pair from cabela's and the body of the boot wore out before the sole. I usually walk at least a mile or two on a fishing trip, and they also worked for a few trips to shenandoah for 4+ mile hike in trips.

The drawback is that they pick up snow and ice, and it can really be dangerous... unless platform shoes were your thing in the 70s. They are also treacherous in mud. In the water, or when you scale boulders with wet feet, they are great.

I understand the conservation issues at play, but I feel that felts are worth the hassle. I have no problem sanitizing them in between trips, and would be annoyed if I was no longer given that option.

jayL wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:

I was concerned about how they'd wear for hiking too, but I've never had a problem. I bought a cheap pair from cabela's and the body of the boot wore out before the sole. I usually walk at least a mile or two on a fishing trip, and they also worked for a few trips to shenandoah for 4+ mile hike in trips.

The drawback is that they pick up snow and ice, and it can really be dangerous... unless platform shoes were your thing in the 70s. They are also treacherous in mud. In the water, or when you scale boulders with wet feet, they are great.

I understand the conservation issues at play, but I feel that felts are worth the hassle. I have no problem sanitizing them in between trips, and would be annoyed if I was no longer given that option.

I have hippers with felt that are six years old and still holding up. You wouldn't think it should but they do. Many times that I'm wearing them I don't start out expecting much hiking but before I know it I'm a mile or two upstream and a bit of a hike back. (Well for a senior with bad knees in rough terrain it is.)

Back