Felt or rubber

I think I'm gonna invest in the rubber/stud combo soon. I like my felts but have heard good things about the rubber ones I figured I would give them a try. Afish, what boot/stud combo do you have? It seems some rubber and stud combo's are much better than others.

Anyone have these?
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/rock-grip-wading-boot-aluminum-bar?p=79315-0-602#BVRRWidgetID

Seems like a good alternative and the reviews are great. I think these are my next pair of boots.

I do not like the bar boots that gone has posted. Just doesnt seem like itd stick like I would want it to. It looks like if you stepped on a rock that has a slope you'd slip and fall.

But then again I have never tried them and cant attest to how good they are.

lv2nymph wrote:
Chaz wrote:
I hate rubber soles even with studs they suck. A ban may be coming, I have always had at least 2 sets of boots so I don't have to clean the boots until I get home.
Tell us how you really feel Chaz. :p
Well I used felt shoes for the first time in a long time yesterday and they were like glued to the rocks. Rubber has me falling and slipping all the time. My vote is that rubber still sucks, felt is best, even my shoes yesterday had no studs, which btw some states prohibit, No issues wading.

I go along with the "Rubber Sucks" gang. And the folks that think a ban on felt soles will stop the spread of invasives are wrong.

Stop the spread? No.
But this is one fire I'd rather pour water on than gasoline.
I still wear felts but would understand a law if it were passed and abide by it.
For now, just let'em dry for a week to be extra sure.

get korkers with interchangable soles. your covered either way.

afishinado wrote:
Like most, I've worn felt-soled wading boots for decades. I switched to rubber w/studs about 3 years ago. Putting the evasive problem aside, I would never consider buying a pair of felts ever again. Overall, the rubber/stud boots perform much better than the felt-soled ones.

I agree. The rubber/stud boots do as good or better in the stream, and there is no comparison outside the stream. No more falling on my butt on a stream bank.

My next pair I purchase will be rubber. I cleaned my felt ones yesterday in getting them ready for the opening season.....END OF THIS MONTH. HERE IT COMES.

I know felt is illegal in Alaska. I bought a pair of Simms Freestones with the Vibram soles and the triangle carbide studs. I didn't have any trouble in Alaska but the rivers had virtually no slime on them at all so the Vibram and carbide was fine. I still don't like the Vibram, even with the cleats on slick and flat rocks or strong current. I have felt myself being pushed down slimy bedrock and I've never felt that with felt and studs.

I converted a pair of felts to studded felts with a 1/16" drill bit, an electric drill, and a bunch on plated hex head screws. This set-up works great and took me about half an hour to do and I think it cost about $4.00 in hardware.

Attachments

• Conversion to Studs.jpg
    Conversion to Studs.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Heel Closeup.jpg
    Heel Closeup.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
Just tried my new Bean West Branch rubber sole with studs. Wow.
Solid grip on rock, vegetation on rocks, and any stream bank I climbed. They feel good walking, too. I think they're a WIN.

I posted this in the wading boots thread in gear talk but it works here as well.

I made these last week and got a chance to try them out yesterday and they worked really, really well. Much better than I anticipated and much better than my felt or rubber soles.

wOIsNGM.jpg

Back