Felt or rubber

C

Chris_morris

Does Pa have restrictions on felt boots ? I know some states were talking about it. I usually use rubber but I like the way felt feels.

Yeah, there's been rumors that a felt ban is coming. Nothing official sounding, though.

That said, we DO have streams with Didymo and are trying to prevent it's spread to other streams which do not (yet) have it. Make a habit of cleaning your gear properly. Not just the boots, but all gear.

Both branches of the Delaware, as well as the main stem have confirmed Didymo. Also, the Youghiogheny River. Nearby "destination waters" in other states with confirmed Didymo include the Battenkill in NY and the Gunpowder in Maryland. I'm sure there's others.

Any cases of New Zealand mud snail ?

Rubbers.

Rubber with studs!

^^ This is what I have and I've been very happy with them^^

And keep a dunk bag in the car, cause getting wet is inevitable. :)

I hate rubber soles even with studs they suck. A ban may be coming, I have always had at least 2 sets of boots so I don't have to clean the boots until I get home.

Yea I have rubber with studs and regular rubber too and felt lol I have a pair of korkers red sides and I like them all right... Just curious to know everyone's opinions.

Was always a felt guy but bought a pair of rubber with studs and won't go back. Fishing in the snow with felt was great for improving my height but was hell on the back!

Chaz wrote:
I hate rubber soles even with studs they suck. A ban may be coming, I have always had at least 2 sets of boots so I don't have to clean the boots until I get home.
Tell us how you really feel Chaz. :p

I transitioned to studded rubber with my last pair, was always a felt guy. Are they acceptable? Yes. Are they better than felt? No.

On soil, mud, sand, or snow, rubber is actually an advantage, but for me these conditions are the exception rather than the rule. On gravel, river rock, or any broken surface, a good rubber does just fine, they are probably equivalent. Where you notice the inferiority to felt is on large rocks, boulder-like or flat. Like all those huge boulders you scramble around on smaller, high gradient streams.

I still prefer felts , and will continue to use them as long as they're legal.
I currently have 3 pair of wading boots, and 2 pair waders. And I use the one whole outfit just specificallly in the couple of streams I fish that have didymo

I have two pair of Orvis felts one of which has studs. I do clean them and because I have two pair, I can let the first pair dry before using again. When one of them wears out, I'll switch to rubber w/ studs.

I have owned both felt and rubber. IMO they both work fine. I am on my second pair of Simms "Guide" boots with rubber soles. The first pair I installed Simms carbide studs. The pair I replaced them with I installed Simms "Star" cleats. The combination of rubber soles and the star cleats are by far the best yet. IMO the rubber soles also last longer than felt. Given the choice except in a few circumstances I prefer rubber.

Like most, I've worn felt-soled wading boots for decades. I switched to rubber w/studs about 3 years ago. Putting the evasive problem aside, I would never consider buying a pair of felts ever again. Overall, the rubber/stud boots perform much better than the felt-soled ones.

Back