Stenonema

Stenonema

Hook 79580 sz. 10
Tail and Antennae pumpkin barred sili-legs
Rib Fine Yellow wire
Overback Thin Skin Mottled Oak Golden Stone
Body Ginger Chenille
Hackle Ginger Hen

Simple easy tie that gets deep quick. I add 10 wraps of .025 wire and a 1/8th Gold bead.
Thought I would share. Penns Creek trout dig it as a point fly.

Attachments

• P1030238new.JPG
    P1030238new.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 17
Nice, I like that. My favorite had been for a long time a size 14 dark brown mink beadhead (brass). But lately I'm no longer sure, but I'm going to need many more winters to really change favorites.

That's a nice stonefly.

No doubt, a generic stonefly nymph is tough to beat for winter trout. I use a lot of cress bugs but I fish more spring creeks than freestoners this time of year.

Stenonema wrote:
Penns Creek trout dig it as a point fly.

No doubt!

Very nice! Being new to this I appreciate the help. Thanks for sharing

I like it. Fish will eat it.

GenCon

I tie something similar. Kind of a "20 Incher" style stonefly. Biots, dubbing, wire, thin skin, Krystal Flash, rubber legs, lead (free) wire, and a tung bead. That's a great looking fly you got there dude, I really like it. Here's a pic of what I've been throwing lately. Usually, I drop a little quill body baetis off the back. However, I just got these jig hooks from Allen and they are naaaaaasty! The last pic is a size 14 "mini stone" on one of the jig hooks. Haven't fished the little one yet, but I'm looking forward to throwing it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
Great Flies Odizz, there is no doubt that mini-stone will kick butt. When I first started tying the Yuk Bug two or as one thread on here simply referred to the pattern as Rubber Legs. I really liked the simplicity of the pattern expecially the all chnille body. I just took it one step further with the rib and overback of thinskin. By varying the size it does a good job of imitating the March Browns and Grey Fox hatches as well. Same Pattern fished from January to Early May. The rubbler legs trigger strikes in flatter water and when stripped back after swing. The rubber makes noise and vibration. My opinion. I learned the value of the triggering characteristics of the new rubber legs materials while fishing for Bass on the Rivers during difficult conditions of summer on slow bites.
Ginger Chenille is what some would call an Amber color. I think that wet it is a very close color match to the belly of the March Brown and Grey Fox and a good overall average match to the Golden Stone as it changes through instars.
In an effort to keep the fly as simple and quick as possible, I stuck with the chenille rather than dubbing the body.
The smaller imitations are tied with the trimmings and end pieces while tying the larger Stone version. I don't bother with the overback on the smaller. I just tie it to length from the head to perhaps the mid point, tie off, head cement and flip remaining back over and trim. Want a little flash through in a strip of pearl flasabou. Want to get fancy trim the thinskin widening to the back with a V shape.
You gotta love tying nymphs. Get as creative or as simple as you want. They all catch fish.

You guys are both throwing some nice looking stones there. It's so easy to get carried away tying stones, there's something about them that makes you want to just go hog wild on them. Sounds like you've got quite the versatile pattern there Steno. Odizz, good idea using a jig hook for that stone.

odizz-

What dubbing are you using there? I really like the look of that.

Steno here's a pic of a bunch I tied for a swap years ago, I'll be the first to admit they don't look like much till you fish em
flyswappic-1.jpg

Here's how it looks wet, it has a great translucently to it.
wetmink_zps3b4cd59a.jpg

Lv2nymph,
I really like that pattern, I would like to tie a few. Could you post the pattern recipe.
Thanks.

I'm with Spag,, post more info. The pattern looks chewy with lots of movement and translucency you mentioned. Thanks for posting it lv2nymph I will be adding that one in the arsenal. A good looks like everything exactly like nothing kind of thing, which translated means mouth check me to a trout.

Hook: Daiichi 1560
tail, abdomen, and thorax: dark brown mink
bead: 1/8 brass
To create the thorax I put the mink in a dubbing loop, with just a little practice you can manipulate the mink in the loop ( once you've tied a couple you'll be able to "eye ball it" and cut it before you put it in the loop but sometimes it still moves on you, just gotta play with it)and snip off the excess with scissors to get the right length for the collar. ( if you leave too much material from the end that came from the hide it will bunch up on you and not be right) The fur/hairs right against the hide you will see is much lighter than the rest, this is what you want to cut away.I use 6/0 thread so I can really spin it tight and not break it. While you're wrapping the collar, with your left hand pull back the previous wrap and lay the next wrap in tight to it, this will "push" everything rearward for you.Once you've tied a few and get it it's a really fast tie. This looks like a lot but explaining something in writing is always worse than actually doing it.

Thanks for the pics Lv2nymph.

I've seen you talk about them before but I wasn't quite sure how you tied them. Nice. I'll be tying a few up.

Lv2nymph gave me a few of the mink nymph that is a good pattern any time of year.

Lv2nymph's beadhead mink nymph is a flat out fish catcher.

Edit: I thought I read the whole first page. Thanks for the recipe lv2nymph.

No problem, hope you all have success with it.

Back