favorite streamers?

ihrtffishing

ihrtffishing

Just wondering what some of the streamers you guys use. Only streamers in my trout box are wooly buggers and I'd like to add some more...

I'm new to streamers, but I know there are a bunch of guys on here who fish them hard, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

I made it a goal to fish streamers more this year had success recently with a Betsy. It's very basic and I've caught brookies, browns and bows on it. It's a peacock body, weighted, with a few strands of flash, and bucktail. I tie mine with a black head, but red would be cool too. It's a Harry Murray fly I think. Very productive for me so far this season. I have used white bucktail so far, but other colors would work I'm sure.

Muddlers, clousers, mickey finns, bunny leeches. Any baby trout pattern.
Comets, zonkers. Gray ghosts.

You wanna get into the really big stuff like circus peanuts and zoo cougars just google. Kelly Galloup.

I have good success with the soft hackle streamer by Jack Gartside. Olive and black is the tying I use most.

I like the Warden's Worry.

I was a very gung ho streamer fisherman before I retired to Fl...
I don't think pattern is nearly as important with streamers as other type of fly fishing.
However except for feather wing I found it better to stick with more somber colors[black,brown,olive,dark purple] rather than gaudy colors for bottom fished streamers.
subsurface ones like marabous and muddler marabous either white or black.
The important thing with streamer fishing is the right mindset .
You want to be there when the bigger fish are on the prowl for a meal,not just a snack.
That will be the time of day when the water temperature is closest to the species ideal.

ihrtffishing wrote:
Just wondering what some of the streamers you guys use. Only streamers in my trout box are wooly buggers and I'd like to add some more...

Clouser minnow. from size 18 to size 5/0. I could never use another streamer again and be happy.

I've tied deceivers for my salt water endevours.

I like to pretend I know what I'm doing and swing Gartside Soft Hackle streamers.

I carry an assortment of White and Brown zonkers in 6/8's. Caught a beautiful 23'' brown early in the season with the white version and both kill with brookies and rainbows.

I would add the place where matukas and wooly bugger types really help is in night fishing.
Feather wing,soft hackle types tend to wrap around the hook.Daytime,no problem,you can see it.-night time you have to constantly check the fly to be sure its flowing correctly.

Never had much luck on streamers and buggers until I started fishing with a slumpbuster pattern I came up with. It's been alot of fun this past week seeing trout destroy this thing

Slumpbusters, Zoo Cougars, Peanut Envy, Sculpins, Mickey Finns, Chain Reactions, Double Screamers, Muddlers, etc....

gfen wrote:
ihrtffishing wrote:

Clouser minnow. from size 18 to size 5/0. I could never use another streamer again and be happy.

I've tied deceivers for my salt water endevours.

I like to pretend I know what I'm doing and swing Gartside Soft Hackle streamers.

Clousers are great stuff...if you want a good streamer assortment, pick up the book "Clouser's Flies", every pattern in there has a home in my meat box, my favorites are the deep minnow, purple darter, Foxxee Redd minnow, and madtom, but I fish all of 'em, especially for bass(see pic), but also trout on larger waters, catfish, crappie, pike, pickerel, well, just about everything. possibly the greatest fly pattern ever.

Attachments

• redwhiteclouser.jpg
    redwhiteclouser.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 5
Butt Monkey!! Moved a lot of fish today with one!!

JH

This one...

Attachments

• zoo cougar.jpg
    zoo cougar.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 5
Color, depth and size are usually more important than pattern choice when it comes to streamers. I mostly fish streamers when they are chasing size 4 and larger. If they won't chase a size 4, I stick to nymphing. If the nymphing is very slow, I will switch to fishing streamers in sizes 8-12.

When I've had really good streamer fishing, it has usually been on black. White is easily second. I've had very good days when the fish wanted nothing but yellow, but olive and tan seem to catch fish more consistently. Two-toned flies can be deadly, especially when one of the colors is white. Olive/White and Chartreuse/White
are really good choices for patterns like the double bunny or smoke wagon.

Especially if you mostly fish with floating lines, you should carry patterns like zuddlers, woolly sculpins and double screamers tied with a tungsten conehead. A lot of times fish will eat these when they won't hit a more buoyant fly. If you strip your streamers really fast, tungsten coneheads are the only way they are going to get deep quickly.

I live to huck streamers... the Bolivian Chickenbat, Anokpeas' Bugger, NB Suskie Clousers, Palomalu Streamers, Becks' Super Bugger, Branks' Blade, and anything made by Kelly Gallup.

I have a new favourite streamer, the Muppet Baby.

Please don't ask me details, its so secret I've only heard the name, but it is truly awesome from what I've been told. A half box of hooks if there's one, an entire turkey in a rainbow of colours, some not even named by man! Lead and beads and eyes and jinglebobs as far as they eye can see!

I hear its a mighty fly, not for mere mortals. Tested in the waters of the Delaware, handed down from the Lord Almighty to the Sage of the D himself.

Or, so I've heard.

I'm sticking with the clousers, though...

The idea of worrying about/having specific streamer patterns is silly to me. Galloup's flies satisfy certain criteria, as do most other streamers. I just tie similar looking things with whatever I have on hand, and never put the "pattern" label on it, because that implies that I'd have to remember what I did.

You've got a half dozen or so general "families" of streamers, many of galloup's famous flies fitting into the "floater" or "sculpin" families. Aside from color, I detect absolutely zero difference between any two related streamer patterns. You can also mix and match qualities from multiple streamer families to get hybrids.

Give me a general idea of what a "butt monkey" or a "whoozit whatthehell" is, and how it fishes, and I can probably whip something up that works just as well in a few minutes. I choose not to line the pockets of any enterprising guides or anglers with my streamer fishing by putting their names on what usually ends up being a relatively simple or obvious concept.

Streamers are great because the pattern hardly matters at all, as long as the fly satisfies a short list of needs. Then again, I guess that's the case with any facet of fly fishing.

@ J

Can you tell us how you really feel?? Butt Monkey is the fav now, but your points are very valid. A bugger in any color usually works, and thats as basic as it gets!

JH

Large Meat Whistle. Medium to small Slumpbuster. Caught trout, smallies, and largemouth on em.

Back