favorite streamers?

For most types of streamers, I like flies tied with dumbell weights to make the fly ride hook upward. Keep the tails short on trout streamers.
I've found no substitute for natural materials, esp marabou and rabbit strips, when it comes to action in the water. The pics below depict my typical trout streamers.

Attachments

• StockieFlies.jpg
    StockieFlies.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 2
flyfishermanj wrote:
Can you tell us how you really feel?? Butt Monkey is the fav now, but your points are very valid. A bugger in any color usually works, and thats as basic as it gets!

Outside of the concept of styles, I think he's right. I don't neccessarily agree 100%, I think colours do make a difference, but no less than the unintimiable Lee Wulff said streamer design didn't matter, just wrap stuff on a hook til it looked good.

That's more fun, anyways.

Using Galloup as an example, most of those look the same to me, generally speaking. I know some stand out, like his crayfish pattern that looks awesome.

I just don't really like to give anyone credit for "inventing" a fly pattern unless it's unique. Weamer's true form dun? That's an invention. The first ever woolybugger? Hell, that's a wooly worm + marabou, but I'll give it invention credit since it's done so much for me.

Most of these streamers are just retreads of the same ideas. I do credit galloup with popularizing the floating streamers, but even the venerable zoo cougar isn't all that unique. This is all a spillover from the highly commercialized spin fishing world, and adds unnecessary mysticism to fly fishing imo.

I hope to discuss all of this with him this summer. :)

Gary,
I think colors do matter to an extent. I primarily simplify it to lights, darks, obscenes, and olives. Usually, if they are taking a dark leech, they'll take most dark rabbit fly. That's the point I was making.

jayL wrote:
I hope to discuss all of this with him this summer. :)

Let him know a fat jackhole with an inflated opinion of self worth thinks his names are stupid.

My favorite streamer now is the "Double trouble" Brad Bohens design.

My go to streamer is Ed Shenk's White Minnow in sizes ranging from 8 to 12.

I'm a Black Ghost guy. I use marabou for the wing. Besides Wooly Buggers, it's the only streamer I use.

Back