Favorite Hopper patterns

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I've been in to tying hoppers lately and wanted to know everyones favorite hopper pattern. Heres one i've been working on. I think it looks cool, whether it works or not is a different story.

CAM00178_zps5a351765.jpg

Letort hopper style on a curved hook. Been using Antron instead of the turkey

Give it a shot, Tyger. That'll work. Is that your own pattern? If it isn't, fish it anyway. That is a great looking hopper pattern. Good luck, terrestrial season is a whole new ball game. You have tied some really good looking flies. Nice work!

Shenks Hopper (Letort Hopper)

Great looking pattern, Tyger; you'll have to let us know how it fishes this summer.

Here's a Letort Hopper that I posted on YouTube a couple years ago (which is also commonly tied in black). I've done well on it over the years, and it's a quick tie.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ustLz6-huRg[/youtube]

Charlie boy hopper, nice tie Jim. That'll catch just fine.

tctrout wrote:
Great looking pattern, Tyger; you'll have to let us know how it fishes this summer.

Here's a Letort Hopper that I posted on YouTube a couple years ago (which is also commonly tied in black). I've done well on it over the years, and it's a quick tie.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ustLz6-huRg[/youtube]

Can't do better than that!
Mike.

Thanks everyone. I went to LL yesterday and gave it a shot...got 1 to look at it and tgat was after it dove under the water on a hard mend. Oh well. Its not MY pattern, i just sat down and tried to tie a good imitation.

Thanks for the hopper style input, gonna try some of these tonight.

When do you guys typically start slingin hoppers?

J55tyger88 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I went to LL yesterday and gave it a shot...got 1 to look at it and tgat was after it dove under the water on a hard mend. Oh well. Its not MY pattern, i just sat down and tried to tie a good imitation.

Thanks for the hopper style input, gonna try some of these tonight.

When do you guys typically start slingin hoppers?

Sunken hoppers can be very effective, so maybe the pattern worked better than you think. On timing, I look for hoppers as I walk and if I see them I fish them. I haven't seen them in PA yet this year, but I haven't fished in PA for a few weeks. Crickets seem pretty good all summer.

Heres a pattern i found online. Super easy tie and seems effective.

CAM00184_zps54740691.jpg

FrequentT, i was reading an article in field and stream about sunken hoppers. Gonna try it again, underneath.

I like all foam hoppers.

Went out today after work and had good success...gonna tie some other mentioned patterns up and try them. Mini hoppers work!

Rainbow chased hopper upstream as i skipped it back towards me after my drift. Smashed it.

CAM00187_zps7cdae3cc.jpg

I landed my fly in front of a submerged boulder at the tail of a pool, and this brown rocketed out and blew up on the fly.

CAM00198_zpse76ababd.jpg

nice job tyger,they look like really healthy fish.

I have been tying and using the "juan hopper" the last couple years. Tie it in all sizes and colors and i've had pretty good success with it.

http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com/2009/05/hopper-juan-tying-steps.html

Thanks mic, definately some chubby trouties :)

The Hopper Juan as mentioned above, and the AZ Wanderings Mini-Hopper are the best two hopper flies I've found. Both are durable, foam, and will float like corks. You can tie them in a variety of sizes and colors. They are pretty much all I use from May-September for warm water and usually for trout unless there's a specific hatch coming off.

I am a big hopper guy, love fishing them in the summer. I have tied the classics and some of my own but Right now I have been tying charlie boy hoppers... Super easy, few materials and tested them for the first time last week on finicky fish in clear water and crushed them. That tells me they look good enough in most situations

Back