favorite fishing waters

A

addictedangler

What are your favorite streams or bodies of water to fish? I enjoy traveling and look for something different. I understand you may not want to mention the name of the Brookie stream but perhaps a general location and your good times on it. Yes even warm water.
Example:
Rappahanock river in Va. near Falmouth for Hickory shad. It has a section that reminds me of freestone trout fishing with small pools and fast running water. If you like fishing a stream like the Yough. in SW pa. you may like this. Also it gives me a chance to fish those pretty colored flys.

For smallmouth bass: the lower Juniata River and the Potomac River around Harper's Ferry.

For trout: Cumberland Valley - Letort, Big Spring, Falling Springs, Yellow Breeches (Honorable Mention: Spring Creek in Centre Co)

Salt: Jersey shore at Island Beach State Park and the middle Keys around Islamorada

With the exception of the FL Keys, the above places are favorites of mine largely because they are fairly close to home and can be visited in a day trip (weekend for the NJ shore) They're also places that I am familiar with after countless visits over 20 or more years. Many fishermen love to explore new water and I do too......but truth be told, I'm a bit of homebody and tend to focus on waters that I know well. I'll never get bored with this list.

My favorite streams are The Little J, Spring and Spruce because they are close to home

Within a days drive Shenandoah National Park for lots of Brook Trout.
Maine for big Brook Trout, Landlock Salmon. and lots of Smallmouth Bass

penns. sick addiction.

My favorite place is wherever everybody isn't.

I don't really have a single favorite, they're all unique in their own way. It's like picking your favorite kid!lol Here's some that I guess I consider favorites, mainly because I fish them all somewhat often.

Smallmouth Bass- Shenango River and French Creek. Along with the Allegheny, and some Ohio streams including the Erie tribs.

Stocked trout- I like Oil, Neshannock, and a bunch of other streams. I would have to say Neshannock is my favorite, but that's only because I cut my fly fishing teeth on that stream and it's not too far from home. A stockie is a stockie wherever you go imo.

Steelhead- I learned how to steelhead fish on Conneaut, and even though it can be tough I consider it one of my favorites. I like Rocky River too, pretty much all public access. Pretty scenic and has quite a bit of wildlife for being so close to the city.

Wild trout- Prefer not to tell ;) I mainly fish NW PA streams, but really want to get out and fish more in central PA.

I was asked what was my favorite stream for a article I wrote and I though about it for a while.??? I did not want to offend anyone or put myself in a box so I answered it like this. Favorite water: Wherever my feet are planted catching fish.

The one stream that has given me the most overall pleasure - practically since I first began fly fishing - is the little juniata.
The delaware river is a very special place too - and definitely where I have caught most of my big trout. But it can also be very fickle, and more apt to throw some unfishable conditions in my experience there.
Spring creek is probably the most consistent fishery for me - although the fish run smaller than the first two

The Kettle Creek watershed-whether its the big Kettle (in the summer, great for SMB!!!!), or the tiny trips/little Kettle, I love it. I cut my FFing teeth there, and it'll always be special to me because of that. The Pine Creek valley is a close second.

Still, I find myself drawn to my home waters in Lancaster County. Silty mess that they are, I love that I can go 15 minutes in either direction and satisfy my craving for brookies, wild browns, and all the warm water action I could ever want.

I have two tailwaters 5 minutes from my house. One is trout year round and the other provides Spring and Fall trout opportunities with smb in in between. I then love the Upper Delaware. Well, I would choose the Delaware over the two tailwaters.

It seems I'm in the "catch the toughest trout" mode anymore.
I cant seem to get enough of the Letort and Fishing creek.

Wow,It appears most of us have the same passion for our sport. No one has giver up a honey hole yet and I guess I am glad they did not. It will not be long and we all will be there at our favorite spot. And even those who can not will be there in spirit. Keep them coming guys.

Basically everything cold that's within walking distance to an hourish drive. So, Letort, Big Spring, Breeches, Michaux & Tuscarora State Forests for brookies.

Penns and Little J are nice day trips.

I fish within an hours drive on most weekends year round. But for overnight fishing trips I head to upstate NY in the fall and spring. Those big fish up there keep me coming back. And the LJ and Spring Creek are in the mix for full day trips.

I would say my favorite streams, couldn't just pick one.

Clarks, fishing creek, Spring creek, FPC!

Paul, that was funny.....

Penns creek for me......

We seem to have a good grouping of streams so how about your favorite way and or fly to fish them. Example: Yellowbreeches, swinging sulphur colored wets before and during the hatch. I like to have a pheasant tail nymph for my point fly.

I like fishing a size 8-10 2xl Isosaurus comparadun on top on the Delaware, Cdc and elk for grannoms on Penns, Sulphur Hackle Stacker up top all summer long on my small tailwater, Drunella Cornuta emergers on my big tailwater, and a Packing Peanut Popper up top during the summer for Smb.

Aside from steelheading in Erie as I live on the creek, Oil creek is my go-to stream. Love that place, cant get enough of it.

addictedangler wrote:
We seem to have a good grouping of streams so how about your favorite way and or fly to fish them.

For the Potomac in summer......would be the evening popper bite. I like to get up on a car sized boulder with 360 view and double haul a pencil popper as far as I can and just strip it back fast. Sometimes you'll get multiple strikes in a single retrieve.

As I've mentioned more than once on this forum - in recent years it seems to me that this summer popper bite has diminished on all the rivers I fish and nowadays I get more bass with nymphs and streamers. A close second would be deep streamer fishing for pre-spawn bass in March/April (this year, the early bass season just doesn't seem to want to start).

Back