Favorite fall/ winter flies

+6 (I think) on the Zebra midge. It's just a great all around fish catching pattern in winter. However, I also enjoy poking around those prime lies and undercut banks with heavy natural colored wooly buggers and sculpin type patterns for the occasional shot at a big old brownie. I find the solitude of fishing in the winter to be very refreshing.

what size zebra midges do you guys prefer?

22399114597_4a593ea969_b.jpg

Well, that kinda worked.

I like red zebra midges, serendipities, black zebra midge and rubber legged stoneflies prince nymphs etc.

steveo27 wrote:
what size zebra midges do you guys prefer?

I usually fish a Zebra Midge between size 18-22. I prefer black with silver rib, but red ones work very well too.

I like black sz18 zebras tied on a 16 hook. Black and red is all I really fish anymore, although I have had some pretty decent luck with olive ones.

Cool. Ive been trying my hand att tying size 20 black zebra midges with some success.

Today, I had some pretty good success with orange stimulators. Adding them to my list of late fall flies.

I did well today on pats rubberlegs and pheasant tails in 18. 5 wild bows between 14-17

big ol' hopper....caught a few wild trout on it. Maybe some big bugs drop in the water now and then in the middle of winter, I wish I had a better reason for success.

BWO

In fall I like to fish streamers/buggers a lot because the good fish are fattening up for winter and can be aggressive. Also have small olive emergers in case some surface action starts. Prince nymph is good in September/October.

In Winter I head more towards smaller nymphs, worms, and eggs. I'm with everyone, a Zebra midge is usually on my line. Small PT's, Walt's worms, killer bugs, and black stonefly nymphs are also pretty heavily used by me.

In the dead of winter I sometimes prefer to slowly swing streamers right on the bottom. The hits are subtle in cold water - more like a gentle tug. But streamers still give up good fish in the winter.

Back