Chop & Drop program in PA streams

Off topic, but here's a photo of the remnants of a fallen tree.

53865231151_0747d7cf60_b.jpg

A little off topic: Brad, That is a beautiful b/w photo. I admire guys like you who can do things like that.

(Now, everyone else, stay on topic!) :)

I can't speak to the trees mentioned by CLSports or the reasons for their removal, but I can tell you the Little Lehigh and the Little Lehigh Parkway got its a$$ kicked with flooding in the last 20+ years...

Those events caused a massive amount of damage and more or less ended Park Drive being a through road from Oxford Drive to Jefferson Street.

I can imagine the Allentown Parks Department and the City of Allentown not wanting to have giant logs rapidly cascading down the creek during subsequent floods and potentially wiping out other bridges, structures and property in the park...

Versus worrying about having some LWD just to keep angler's happy...

If they want to mitigate storm water runoff, then why do they not leave the riparian buffer intact and stop mowing to the edge of the stream? If the banks are stabilized with natural vegetation, then the trees will be better protected from undermining due to increased flood events.

Flood events have been increasing in magnitude and frequency the last several years worldwide and that is another topic. The whole parkway is a floodplain and should be treated as such.

Last edited:
Back