Favorite fall/ winter flies

F

fisherboy3

Im really curious as to what you guys like for fall/winter fishing, not steelhead but for trout. I have a few flies i can almost always count on. Especially Pats Rubberlegs. I was always using the wrong legs on them and never caught many, though my friends use the same one and kill fish on it. The sexifloss legs really do it up right.

My favorite fall/winter flies:
Pats rubberleg stone
Gps golden stonefly
Basic pts, 18
Micro eggs 18,20
Sucker spawn in 16,18
I will always carry ocdc olive emergers in 20. Always get the, on that if theyre up on top. What do you guys like?

Wooly buggers and griffith gnats.

+ 1 on zebra midge

Also do well on egg patterns

Another vote for zebra midge and eggs

Royal Wulff. Spring, summer or fall, all you got to do is tie one one.

walt's worm-14-16
eggs-14-16-18
san juan worm-12-14
pheasant tail-14-16-18
hares ear-14-16-18

Zebra Midge 20-24
Pheasant Tail 14-18
Eggs 14-18

Zebra midge, Pheasant tail, wooly bugger

Big, soft, dark, weighted streamers.

How do people fish egg patterns? I have a few in my box, but I've never really been sure what to do with them. Where should it be in the water column? Do I just tie it off a dry as a dropper like a nymph?

Hooker,

What i like to do normally is tie on a heavy too nymph. Whhether its a golden stone or an attractor, tie off soem tippet off that one and tie the egg on. Put a shot between those two and make sure it gets to the bottom.

Fall / winter? That's why I have TV. If I were to fish, midges, PT and streamers

Natural eggs as forage occasionally well up in the current, but generally hug the bottom. I would fish them as close to the bottom as possible.

Streamers, stoneflies, midges, anything size 16-20 in olive, PT nymphs, and a wide variety of caddis emergers are always good to have handy, especially on a warm November week like this one.

Big Streamers Big Browns are on the prowl.

First year fishing in the fall/winter for me. A size 18 bead nymph as a dropper under a stimulator, and a 16-18 egg pattern with a blood dot as a dropper have put me in double digits with fish both times I've gone out recently. Probably two of the best days I've ever had. I had some experienced ff suggest to me those set ups so that helped my learning curve there.

Streamers and if those don't work, more streamers.

Back