Favorite Caddis Dry?

X-caddis and Missing Link. Two different profiles to cover adult caddis on top.

If the X Caddis doesn't work, the ML usually does.

X-caddis and Missing Link. Two different profiles to cover adult caddis on top.

If the X Caddis doesn't work, the ML usually does.
The missing link is a fly I need to tie and fish. It's on the list.

@Wild_Trouter do you tie the clown shoe caddis with a regular post material or stay true to the recipe with mcflyfoam?

@Wild_Trouter do you tie the clown shoe caddis with a regular post material or stay true to the recipe with mcflyfoam?
Great question. I generally stick with Mcflyfoam; however, if I am tying them for picky limestone trout- I like using Rainy's 1/16" round foam Para Posts in yellow and slim things down w/o sacrificing floatability.

the floss would have been silk, since Rayon and nylon were yet to be invented.
Not true. Rayon was invented in the 19th century and was being manufactured in this country as artificial silk starting in 1911. The Henryville Special is less old.

Also, black silk thread was not used very much because it was (and still is) brittle. They used dark red (which as your point, I think) or brown or purple..

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply but I have a bad sinus infection so I was down for quite a while. Here are a few pictures of my fly.

Attachments

• 20240111_173627[2315].jpg
    20240111_173627[2315].jpg
    203 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240111_173649[2314].jpg
    20240111_173649[2314].jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 34
After reading these posts, I tied some "Missing Link" flies over the weekend. Man, that's a difficult pattern to tie. Like mixing all the difficulties of a parachute adams and an EHC into one fly.

Henryville special, because everywhere I’ve used it I’ve caught a lot of fish.

An EHC is the “gold standard” by all accounts, but I really like a Goddard caddis. Floats like a cork and takes a beating!

An EHC is the “gold standard” by all accounts, but I really like a Goddard caddis. Floats like a cork and takes a beating!

The Goddard Caddis is really great for mountain streams. The trout really hit them and it floats very well without constant drying and treating the fly.

The fly tying instruction video is very good. I think you can leave off the antennae.

Corn fed caddis has been a great fly for me…

This technique has been amazing for me during caddis hatches. Skittering works for sure but bouncing/ jumping your caddis around the water makes it look so natural and the fish go crazy

Great thread here- reminded me I needed to up my game on caddis dries. Here's a few of the suggested patterns:

Clown Shoe Caddis

Clown Shoe Caddis

Missing Link- View from side and above
Missing Link Caddis
Missing Link Caddis 2

Corn Fed Caddis
Corb Fed Caddis

Back