Favorite Caddis Dry?

I have done well with a Henryville. A size 16 and 18 worked best.

I like to use Western patterns here and Eastern patterns out there. So Henryvilles for the Rockies, and Trudes and Colorado Kings here.

Ditto. Used a henryville on tailwaters in ID. Elkhart on spring creeks. I carry both now but I just try to fish what I see.

When all else fails, I agree:
Henryville caddis.

I tend to go to a snowshoe caddis. Many of the same properties of a CDC and Elk without the hassles of CDC.

I mostly use deer hair caddis in size 18. My second choice is a Klinkhammer.
IMG 0051

@krayfish2 already named my favorites aside from the tried and true elk hair. I also tie an elk hair with and without hackle (or sometimes with hackle trimmed on bottom) with a foam body. This is easier in 12s and 10s (works ok for a 14), typically for indicator flies for dry dropper but they have worked well in their own right especially in choppy water.

A friend swears by the missing link but it hasn’t done much for me.

For you fans of henryville’s… do you figure you’ll only get a fish or two out of each fly? I liked that pattern but only ever got a fish or two and the wing broke apart (or just broke apart in my box). I even tried hairspray and flex-loc on the turkey and it helped but not much. So I’ve kinda given up on that pattern.

forgot to mention - big fan of the Goddard caddis too

fca asked: "For you fans of henryville’s… do you figure you’ll only get a fish or two out of each fly? I liked that pattern but only ever got a fish or two and the wing broke apart (or just broke apart in my box). I even tried hairspray and flex-loc on the turkey and it helped but not much. So I’ve kinda given up on that pattern." = wild turkey flues hold together much better than domestic turkey. Or use wing slips from duck, goose, or other birds - in small sizes the flues are stickier. But in general, as the wing gets mussed up by the trouts, the fly often works better. ;)

To me, a Henryville seems like the Adams of caddis flies.
Doesn't really match anything specifically
But a good all around searching pattern.

But I've never tied or fished one.
Maybe I dont know what I'm missing.

I've found that a #16 tan or gray caddis will usually take fish.
With one exception - when Grannoms are hatching.
I tie a larger, brown pattern for that.

forgot to mention - big fan of the Goddard caddis too
Those are great on mountain streams. I'd use them a lot more if they were easier to tie.

Henryville Specials these days are usually olive or some common caddis body color. Someone in the Poconos told me the original H'ville from the Brodheads area was tied with red floss. Back then there were not so many thread colors as today, and the floss would have been silk, since Rayon and nylon were yet to be invented. If tied with black thread, the fly's red silk body would get translucent when wet (no Gink or silicone back then) and would take on a purplish color. Some who do this combination with the Royal Coachman tell me this color works great for Isonychias (in the proper sizes of course).

With more than 50 replies I’m a bit surprised that no one so far has mentioned the Palomino Caddis. Some days it has been one of my most productive flys. (Change the colors as needed.)

Image0

On the ones I tie I use winging material to make a caddis type wing and that cuts down tying time and lasts longer. Not a true Henryville but a very close look alike.

On the ones I tie I use winging material to make a caddis type wing and that cuts down tying time and lasts longer. Not a true Henryville but a very close look alike.
What kind of winging material do you use to make your caddis style wing?

I use web wing. I have a mottled tan and mottled brown. I used brown the most. just fold it and cut your tent shaped wing to fit.

I'm back from my self-imposed timeout on PAFF. My favorite is the Clown Shoe Caddis. You can experiment with different colors (my personal favorite is #16 dark charcoal w/pink post for Spring Creek and yellow/lime w/cream hackle and chartreuse yellow post for well-shaded/low light brookie streams) as it is very versatile as a dropper or primary fly.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tying-the-clown-shoe-caddis/152222

I use web wing. I have a mottled tan and mottled brown. I used brown the most. just fold it and cut your tent shaped wing to fit.
Ok, thanks. I’ve never heard of that material.

Pic?

Back