Fall Smallmouth Fishing

bdhoover77

I’m curious what the more experienced anglers think is the time to put away the SMB flies and gear for the year? With the cooler weather and falling water temps, how much fishing do you do in the fall for SMB? Also, do you have any suggestions on fly patterns for the fall?

This time last year was about the time I stopped. It seemed when water temps dropped, so did the SMB fishing. The other factor is trout fishing picked up, so that limited my desire to actually fish for SMB in the fall.

Things will start slowing down but you can probably catch bass through the rest of October and a little into November depending on the temperatures. As the water cools the number of fish caught will probably decrease but the ones that hit are usually bigger.

Clouser minnows and wooly buggers work well for me in the fall. Think “low and slow” with retrieves as the water temps drop.

Smallmouth bite readily all winter long. I used to target smallmouth bass around the calendar exclusively.

Finding them is 9/10ths of the battle in the winter. Right now, the bite is typically very, very hot. They should crush flies fished in just about any fashion.

imo ....
Links below to a couple of EXCEPTIONAL resources.

Jeff Little is primarily a spin gear guy with s PhD. in SMB

PXL_20241011_182157356.MP.jpg
PXL_20241011_173708656.jpg

Pretty sure today was the last day for me boat fishing Lake George before my family's boat comes out. The casting deck of this small Whaler is very fun fishing, and I pulled in some little chubbies to keep up with the captain (my stepdad) who was trolling Raps off the back. Nothing big, but a sweet day.

imo ....
Links below to a couple of EXCEPTIONAL resources.

Jeff Little is primarily a spin gear guy with s PhD. in SMB

First time I had seen or heard of him. Enjoyed the video, thanks for posting it. I’ll look for more of his stuff.

Jeff Little is the man. He's been around in the kayak smallie during fishing for a long time. He does a lot of winter fishing. Juan Verute does the same. They know each other and are often fishing together.

Catching smallmouth in the winter isn't hard. It's also when you'll catch your biggest fish.

Fished the conestoga on Friday mid afternoon. They are definitely still biting! Still a lot of bait around too!

Back in the day (last century) I generally stopped fishing for river smallies in the fall, but this was more due to hunting season and trout and saltwater fishing.

These days I do a lot more cold weather fly rod bass fishing and typically fish until sometime around Thanksgiving, and sometimes into December. I usually resume fly fishing for river bass in March. I don't do much winter FFing for bass, but hit it sometimes. My best fly rod SMB in 2019 was a January fish and I had one of my best days on the Juniata fly fishing from shore when there was a dusting of snow on the ground. My best SMB last year was a tank of a fish that I caught while spin fishing for muskies. This massive fish, which I regret I didn't measure or photograph, crushed a huge spinnerbait near flooded shoreline bushes last December.
If there's ice in the river, I'd do something else.

I mean, you figure, fish still have to eat through the winter months. As mentioned above, you just have to alter your presentation. With the continued warm weather we're having and changing climate, I'd have to suspect that smallmouth fishing will last longer into the fall and perhaps start earlier in the spring.

If you happen to be on Facebook, join this group and you will indeed see that people are indeed catching smallmouth all year long.

Back