Fall Fish, one of PA’s original native predators: Thread for techniques, reports, and Fisheries.

I caught a pretty nice fallfish on Brodhead creek last week. I should have taken a picture. It was right around 14in. Caught it on a chartreuse mop fly.
14” is a really nice fish they look like tanks in the mid teens. They start to get shoulders on them.

14” is a really nice fish they look like tanks in the mid teens. They start to get shoulders on them.
I caught two in VT that were around 18in on a roostertail spinner. I didn't even know what they were, I had to look them up. They are really hard fighting fish. They are always hanging out with trout and smallmouth.

I caught a pretty nice fallfish on Brodhead creek last week. I should have taken a picture. It was right around 14in. Caught it on a chartreuse mop fly.

I used to target fallfish & suckers all the time in the lower Brodhead downstream below River Road and in the Delaware in Delaware Water Gap along 611.

To say they were bruisers would be an understatement... ;)

I caught two in VT that were around 18in on a roostertail spinner. I didn't even know what they were, I had to look them up. They are really hard fighting fish. They are always hanging out with trout and smallmouth.
Yea they were actually the top predator in many streams before non-native fish. They like big prey items but will also take dry flies. They were rising heavy this AM and I was able to choose my fish based in rise and take shots at them. I assume caddis because saw no bugs on surface of water.

I used to target fallfish & suckers all the time in the lower Brodhead downstream below River Road and in the Delaware in Delaware Water Gap along 611.

To say they were bruisers would be an understatement... ;)
I caught a sucker a few weeks ago on the Brodhead. I was parked near the Moose Lodge. I got it on a pheasant tail nymph. That was a good 15-16 in fish. They put up a really good fight.

I caught a sucker a few weeks ago on the Brodhead. I was parked near the Moose Lodge. I got it on a pheasant tail nymph. That was a good 15-16 in fish. They put up a really good fight.
Their an underrated fly rod species for sure.

I catch them at times in the Upper Delaware on both dries and nymphs. The larger ones give a good account of themselves but pale in comparison to the wild Browns and freaky strong bows. I treat them with respect.

Was on the swatty this evening and sulfur duns all over the water and Isonychia in shallow flats migrating to bank in force and fall fish were rising everywhere. Tried swinging the ISO got one but as i found out a fly change later they really wanted the size 16 sulfur duns. The action was non stop essentially after the switch.

On a few of the waters that are larger and hold brook trout they are numerous and welcome in by book. They always bring a nice fight on the Fenwick and are a good change of pace. Its always fun that they take dry flies too.

Its good to see Fallfish get some love in this thread.

Back