Everyone has a favorite rod size, what is your favorite?

Baron

Baron

Just broke my rod as you all know. It was a simple Bass Pro shop Whitewater, Dogwood Canyon, 9' Med, fast, 6wt. I didn't realize how valuable and flexible the 6wt size is. I fish for Panfish and catch an occasional Bass or Pickerel. As a replacement will a 5 wt do, should I stay with a 6 or move to 7?

This week was spent catching White Perch and crabbing.I saw dead snakehead, witnessed Spec and Stripers zip around and I was thankful that I had the bigger rod but would I have needed it if a striper would've jumped on the line? Would I have been alright with a 5wt?

What is your favorite when you are in Bass and Pickerel territory?

Attachments

• IMG_6193.jpeg
    IMG_6193.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 7
Baron wrote:
What is your favorite when you are in Bass and Pickerel territory?

Saltwater fish are tough and generally pull harder than freshwater fish. Striped bass come in all different sizes and a 5WT would be okay for small schoolies - that is to say fish under about 20 inches - if the weather is mild and you're using small flies. A 7or 8WT would be better for schoolie stripers. Out on a windy beach with bigger stripers I prefer a 10WT

I use a 7WT more than any other for warm water species in freshwater, even panfish. This would be my choice for bass and pickerel.

Dave you have a mild but concise way of "splain'in" stuff. I appreciate your input.

Would love to hear from others.

I have an old Martin glass 6wt that acts more like a 3wt. It's very nice close up for bluegill but I'm never sure that the hook is set because it is so noodly.
I have been thinking 7/8+/- for my additional rod to replace the one O broke.

I base my choice depending on the size flies I throw and what I am targeting with those flies.

In bass & pickerel territory like you mention, that means never anything less than a 6wt.

If I am throwing bigger flies, it's a 7wt or even an 8 which was my go-to for many years.

None of those fish would tax any of the rods I use (6wt - 8wt), it's all about the casting issues associated with trying to cast heavy or bushy flies with too light a line.

Bam, this latest saltwater trip, Which will be rare, was very instructive about throwing heavy flies in the wind. That is the only reason I thought of going from 6 to 7. Biggest I toss is sculpins or buggers up to #4 hook. Who knows what the future will bring. I bought a Pflueger auto and I find it helpful in tight areas and on the drift boat. I like it so far but surely won’t use it near salt.
That make two of you whom advocate for a 7-8 for bass or pig pickerel.

Don't tell anyone this but 7wts are great rods and once were considered as all around as it gets.

Here's another secret, you can use them for trout too!! ;-)

It’s funny you should say they’re good for trout. In most of the lehigh valley a 3wt would do but then there are the occasional wild trout that I hear can tear you a new one if your tackle is too lite. I’m actually fishing for crappie and bluegill but have been broken off by something big and I’ve caught allot of Bass and medium Pickerel. I dream of pike some day.

I use a 7 and a 8 weight for Bass. The 7 weight is a 9 foot Sage "Accel" and the 8 weight is a St. Croix 9 foot "Premier". The 7 weight doubles as a streamer rod for trout also.

Trout Small Streams 5'-8'6" 3-5wt
Trout Large Rivers - 11' -13' 6/7/8wt
Bass small streams 7'-9' 5wt
Bass Larger Rivers - 9'-13' 6/7/8wt

Salt-9'-13' 7-9wt

I have a lot of wt rods. Trout 3 to 4 wt, low water , spooky trout 3 wt all other times 4 wt. Winter trout streams I use a 5 wt. Small warm water fish 5 wt, bass 7 to 8 wt. Saltwater fish 9 wt. :-D

I’ll tell ya what! The info you folks share so freely on this forum is amazing to me. Testimonials can be everything when making decisions. I only have two lame ( by comparison) rods. My 7.5’ old 6wt Martin for small areas and a new 9’ 7wt diawa For everything else. Cheapo’s for now as I don’t have the where-with-all to protect them.
I’ve only been fly fishing for 1 year. As my preferences develop I’ll begin making more specific purchases. You’re preferences (above) will be invaluable to me as time goes by.
I hope to remain a click & pawl user. (Sage, Orvis, Hardy somethings).

If i may IMO these rods would set you up well.

7'6" 4wt for small trout streams
9' 5wt for larger trout streams
9' 5wt for small bass streams
9'-11' 8wt for big rivers
9'-11' 8wt for light salt.

Only need 3 rods.

Get a few good reels and a ton of spools. Should set you up for any situation in PA

Great advice Sal. That breaks it down to basics and stabilizes the economic.
My 6wt Martin is so light of an action that it is more like a 4.
Now I have a 7 and it will be my Pocono lakes rod.
Later I'll add an 8wt for Catfish, Striper and salt.

Better reels will roll in one at a time. Meanwhile the Wye, three cheap Martins and one Pfluger Auto will keep me catching fish.

I use my 9 ft 4 wt for the majority of my fishing. I have a 9 ft , 7 wt for throwing streamers and smallmouth fishing. Also a 6.5 ft 3 wt for smaller streams. It's all I need.

larkmark wrote:
I use my 9 ft 4 wt for the majority of my fishing. I have a 9 ft , 7 wt for throwing streamers and smallmouth fishing. Also a 6.5 ft 3 wt for smaller streams. It's all I need.

Sound just about perfect. What reels have you found to pair well with these rods?

8 weight for largemouth and pickerel.

If I fishsd for smallmouth I'd use an 8 weight too because I'd fish somewhere I'd always have a shot at 4# + fish as well as shots at muskie and northerns and unfortunately large sheepshead.

If I fished somewhere a 2# smallmouth was a nice fish and not an average one I'd probably use a 6.

I'm still waiting for the elusive 4-5lb pickerel like some friends catch every year. I rarely seem to catch larger than Hammer Handle size where a 1wt would be fine.

I have lots of rods. For your application I would think a 6wt is the minimum. I use a 6 and 8wt for bass and 10wt for toothly critters/salt water. The rod I use is typically chosen based on the flies I am throwing.

You've been given a bunch of great advice.

nomad_archer wrote:
I have lots of rods. For your application I would think a 6wt is the minimum. I use a 6 and 8wt for bass and 10wt for toothly critters/salt water. The rod I use is typically chosen based on the flies I am throwing.

You've been given a bunch of great advice.

I'm thankful for the advice. This whole string is a print and hang column for the office wall.

Baron,I have my same old orvis click and pawl reel on my 9 ft 4 wt. Works great. Caught plenty of 20" plus wild trout on it over yrs. Prefer it to a 5 wt because of more delicate presentation. My 7 wt has a decent reel with a good adjustable drag bit I forget make.my brother fishes his 3 wt even on big rivers. It comes down to personal preference and style of fishing. I love dry fly fishing mostly for trout

Back